'Creaking' sound

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
777HAM

Post by 777HAM »

Hello everyone

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, not sure if it's a brake or gearbox question? But maybe the CVT owners can answer or advise?
Can you please tell me if it's normal to hear a creaking sound from the brakes when your moving very slowly such as parking or inching up to a wall?
As I am new to automatic transmission it's a slightly odd sound and I can only describe it as a creaking sound as you brake and slowly release as I am doing when parking the car in my garage.

Hope this makes some sense

Thanks. John

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

John, you will no doubt get an answer from one of the CVT Members. We have a manual QQ but have had Autos before and you have to remember that when the QQ is moving slowly you are also applying the brakes. So you have the Hyd. Disc Pads contacting a rotating Steel Disc which could be dirty, rusty or even distorted so you would most likely hear more of a "Rubbing" sound. You would notice this more in the Winter when you get rust buildups on the Discs more like a surface treatment when the car is parked in the open.
If I am wrong in my theory please correct me - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Grocer Jack

Post by Grocer Jack »

John I have a cvt and I think that Dave is correct. When the car is in drive it will move of its own acord unless the brakes are applied firmly, if you only put slight presure on the break then there will be a slight /negligable movement. Mine is rhe same and I put it down to a natural fernomina.
Quashqai 1.6dci Acenta vis tronic pearl black - DOB March 2014 -- Previous Quashqai 1.5dci Acenta (2010)
777HAM

Post by 777HAM »

Thankyou both for the replies. Sounds like its a feature of the auto gearbox.
Terryteabag

Post by Terryteabag »

Hello JohnJust to agree with the other replies. Often experinced this when driving other automatics as well.My own QQ does this when holding car on brake very lightly. Nothing to worry about.Have you washed the car yet and put it away overnight with wet brakes? This can cause quite severe sticking of the pads to the disc. I always drive mine around the block to dry out. There can be quite a big crack as it breaks the adhesion caused by surface rust and I'm sure this could lead to worn out brake parts far quicker than normal.Enjoying my new car now. Done 1000 miles on the new gearbox.Best wishesTerry
July 2015 1.6 dCi Tekna 130 Xtronic Gun Metallic
777HAM

Post by 777HAM »

Thankyou Terry.
I too do the little trick of driving around the block after washing the car! After washing I move it a little before parking in the garage.

John
DACA

Post by DACA »

The groaning sound comes from the brakes and not the transmission. If the brakes are lightly applied and the car is creeping you get the groan - my CVT does it too.
DACA

Ink Blue 1.6 DCi Tekna Xtronic