Engine Oil Usage

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Doesn't appear to have used a drop.I don't check it as regularly as i probably should but it's not moved since i've owned the car.
Nissan no more...

PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Donkey will love this - seems about time I checked my oil then and perhaps a few other things as well! Fortunately the tyre pressues seem OK, I do look at the in-car reading occasionally, usually when bragging to a new passenger. To my credit I'm still washing the thing once a week, although now the weather is closing in perhaps more likely to be once a month. Great car though, gets me from A to B, in comfort, with never a word of complaint from me.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
paulyoung666

Post by paulyoung666 »

Never had to to the oil up in 60k with a 1.5dci ....
Eziv2730

Post by Eziv2730 »

[quote="paulyoung666"]Never had to to the oil up in 60k with a 1.5dci ....[/QUOTE]
Are you saying you didn't change the oil for that long?
White J11 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 CVT
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

gvmdaddy, thanks for the attached Data which is good factual information and was worthwhile reading even if we have no Diesel but a 1.2 Tekna - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Impressed PeterL you kept the cleaning up as it goes, Ive never been too strong on thatNo idea why your diesels not sipping oil, its common at ours they do loose oil somewhere, mind you maybe company cars are driven harder but ive no idea
TC3

Post by TC3 »

My 1.5 not using oil either. Surprised me as done 7700 miles... been washed 3 times since March....the grey looks so clean!
Tony ... 1.5 Acenta Premium in Gunmetal

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

[quote="Donkey"]Impressed PeterL you kept the cleaning up as it goes, Ive never been too strong on thatNo idea why your diesels not sipping oil, its common at ours they do loose oil somewhere, mind you maybe company cars are driven harder but ive no idea[/QUOTE]
Any variation is most probably down to how a car is run-in. Yes, they still need running-in. With modern diesels it means warming up thoroughly before full power or high revs. Keeping the revs above 1500 when pulling hard. Varying the revs and power output, all during the first 1000 miles.Any diesel car driven very carefully and/or mostly on the motorway at a near constant speed during the first couple of thousand miles runs the risk of some degree of glazed bores, which manifests itself as increased oil consumption and tardy performance, possibly with poor fuel consumption. This can be a permanent feature of an engine once it happens.
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

[quote="Quacker"]Yes, they still need running-in. [/QUOTE]
So, any advice on running in the 1.2 petrol?We should be getting ours next week. We'll have a week to play with it before we head off for 300 miles of motorway driving.Is it better to keep it steady and change speed every 50 miles or so , or keep to a steady speed all the way?I'm presuming an 80 mph dash down the M5 isn't best?
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Petrol engines aren't quite as fussy but a good rule of thumb is to vary the engine speed and load as much as possible. Normal mixed driving is fine. Don't over-rev it at any time but you can increase the revs to quite high at times over the first 1000 miles.Don't worry about it and don't try and baby it, even a petrol model, but don't thrash it either. Millions upon millions of engines have survived quite OK without their drivers having a clue about how to drive them, let alone run them in.It is always the ones that set out to baby the engine, afraid to load it or rev it, that have issues from new. And maybe the ones that thrash them mercilessly at the other extreme.Remember if your car has a turbo, which an increasing number of petrol and all new diesels do, take care to idle the engine until oil pressure rises at a cold start and, importantly, to idle the engine for a minute after hard driving or high revs before shutting it down. There will be more information in the handbook.