Engine Oil Usage

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

Thanks for that - I'll read the manual but it's always good to have few practical words to go with the dry statements in the book!
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014

MadCar

Post by MadCar »

I'm fascinated to read that a car should 'use oil' as all I know is that is drivel. Older engines used to but modern tolerances in engines mean that shouldn't be the case anymore. VAG engines seem to be particularly prone to it for some reason but again I've had a few Audis in the past and one did use a bit and the other used nothing at all both were from new. I drive a BMW at the moment the wife a Qashqai and both don't use a drop of oil between services and both are diesels. A diesel doesn't need to use oil, and it most certainly doesn't need to drip it into a DPF to make it work I think that misses how they work to say the very least. If you have an engine that uses no oil between services thats a good thing and long may it continue.
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

I think its down to way there drivenI believe a modern Diesel needs in early days to be run hot and high revved with a mixture of driving trying if possible never to keep revs the same for too long.I find company cars driven a little spiritedly tend to be more economical and responsive than a car driven by a housewife nice and gently on short journeys whilst bedding inYears ago we used to have big signs saying running in on back window everyone under 50mph etc, sometimes if you do this you can feel when driving almost a flat spot at the speed first owner used to travel, this often remains with car for life, where a spiritedly revved car which is identical seems faster and often more economical its all down to bedding inA car speaker sounds better when stretched for instance (loud music played through it) Obviously a car driven quicker and at hotter temps will degrade the oil faster, were not talking lots as I said I would of thought a litre over first 5K would of been acceptableBut its good to see people checking, last thing you want is to feel a new car shouldnt loose oil so dont check
Eziv2730

Post by Eziv2730 »

Well some new cars/engines really do use oil all the time and that's considered normal. This applies to VW group's 2.0 diesel engine as well as all of their tsi or tfsi engines. Indeed, when I was looking at a Golf 1.4 tsi and asked the salesman about the oil usage, he also said that it is "normal" to top it up a bit in-between the service cycles.
White J11 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 CVT
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Resurrecting this thread - Have had very minimal oil usage at about 12K kms. I hope that it was down to a decent run-in. I would vary the speed between 100 - 130 in 6th gear, would'nt drive more than 5 mins at a particular speed. Sometimes would do a 100 or 120 in 5th. Also would never go beyond 3500 rpm during the run-in period.(Is just a counsel i followed from my older ford).

Well, soon I am going a trip through Germany & shd be doing higher speeds than on Swiss motorways.Will check the oil level during the trip & see how this affects. Keeping 1L of Shell Helix Ultra Professional AR-L 5W-30 on stand by just in-case.
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.