CVT problems status

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Squierrel

Post by Squierrel »

There are lots of threads dealing with CVT problems. Lots of tiny bits of information there but some of them are rumours only or guesses or isolated incidents, it has been difficult to form the big picture of what's really going on.Do the CVT problems concern only 1.6 diesel, or are the 1.2 and the 2.0 petrol engines also affected? The introduction of 1.6 petrol has been postponed, is that connected to CVT problems?What is the production status now, has the production of Qashqais with CVT been stopped? Has the production of 1.2 CVT even started?Has the source fault been identified? Is it the oil pressure sensor mentioned in the Danish article? What is the nature of the fault? Is it a weak component that will break on everyone sooner or later or is it just some of the boxes having a faulty component?Why is Nissan replacing gearboxes with ones that have exactly the same fault? That really does not seem to make no sense at all.I hope we could get some true information contributing to the big picture collected in this thread and keep the reports of individual problem boxes in the other threads.
1.6 dCi130 Xtronic Business 360

PeterL

Post by PeterL »

I feel this would be a good series of questions to ask of Nissan, I wonder if Spank would care to do so as admin, (in the hope that would carry some weight)?PeterL2014-11-03 07:19:07
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
montimar

Post by montimar »

When a letter is sent to Nissan a copy should also be sent to BBC Watchdog. They just love to take on big company's who would prefer to sweep problems under the carpet and avoid giving sensible answers to the public.They recently took BMW to task over reliability issues and there is another car issue in next Thursday's programme.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Pft BBC watchdogAs factual and influential as Jeremy ClarksonPreviously Watchdog have asked Nissan for explanation on features covered and got no responceWatchdog took BMW etc to account for a known issue they themselves reported 2 years ago and hardly shook the motoring world for its failings Ended up obtaining a freephone advice line then praised themself for there good workSplank holds more integretity id say than them
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

To be honest, I very much doubt Nissan would come on a public forum and announce they had a problem or even entertain correspondence in such a fashion. If you follow the Juke 1.2 DIG-T thread, you will see how "Nissan" (in the loosest of terms as the "Nissan" user on this forum comes from an IP address to a PR company) reply very cautiously to commends made, make no firm commitments and suggest that "they are few and far between" and the fault isn't a fault! To be honest, I don't have time to assist with your request (work, wife being preggers and preparing for our 2nd child, attempting to get a house ready for sale, cleaning the QQ, washing my hair....), however it probably would not take much to gather a list of users who are having problems, compiling a list of posts they have placed and condensing it per user (keep it simple, reported fault, what Nissan dealer has done to try and resolve, present state), then presenting it to Nissan or even trading standards (although the latter is usually individual based but they maybe able to point you in a direction). One person should really head this up on behalf of others rather than all of your shouting at them as things get cross wired and confused. I have not really being following the 1.6Derv thread other than jumping in every now and then to ensure it remains on topic and relevant, I am guessing the CVT problem is a different problem than "missing beat" problem some people are having. If that's the case, it could be worth lumping that AND the CVT problems into the same pot to increase your numbers to shout at Nissan as far as I can see, the problems seem to only exist with the 1.6derv engine AND the 1.6derv mated up with a CVT box. Nissan have announced the sale of the 1.2 DIG-T Xtronic and deliveries will start from Jan next year, and the 1.6DIG-T there is simply no news about at the moment. I would have thought the petrol engine gearboxes are different from that of the derv boxes due to the different power characteristics so the lack of 1.6DIG-T is probably unrelated. Has anybody looked at the X-Trail owners club, don't they share the same engine/gearbox as the QQ, I wonder if any of them are having the same problems? Of course, the other thing you could do is speak to your dealer to request a full refund after the box has been replaced as they would have had "fair chance" at fixing the problem at that point. PS - I am not admin, just a mod. Rob is admin :)
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

SplanKYou could well be right and I can see the advantages, for Nissan, in having a 'No Comment' policy but I wonder if given the opportunity to present the facts regarding production volumes that might just help us all? The secret is not to describe any of this as a 'problem' and for my part I'm not convinced that it is, not in the grand scheme of things. I do realise that for some on here they do indeed have a problem with their car which is perhaps over-stated in as much that the percentages are in fact quite low - but we don't really know that. I certainly remember the initial production percentages being very much in favour of the 1.5 manual, simply because it was the most economical option - whereas we hear that demand for the 1.6CVT went through the roof. We do know for a fact that the production output of the QQ is way below demand, but once again that would seem to be more about sales projection than reliability issues.As I say to be given the production story would be helpful, it might not satisfy those with a problem but least it might put other minds at rest. As to who does the deed, as you say Rob is in fact the owner so is probably better placed?
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

We have a number of members complaining of CVT problems however we do not have any indication of how prevalent the problem is. Those owners without problems will read the relevant threads but are unlikely to post.Could someone set-up a simple poll/survey along the lines of CVT? Yes/No; Derv or Petrol?; 1.2 or 1.6?; Problems? Yes/No.I would do it but I do not know how to. I think it could prove quite illuminating. Thoughts?Ken
2019 1.3 Tekna Dig-T 160 (Automatic)
2014 1.6 dCi Tekna CVT Bronze Metallic - delivered 9/7/14
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

This may be a good idea, but sadly will not show any true evidence of problems. As with any forum you always get owners who only post problems, sometimes for help and advice and some from owners who do not understand the cars actual workings etc. In the early days of this forum we were inundated by stop/start , keying, connect problems etc. but most have these seem to have fallen by the wayside.I am sure there will be problems out there, but the majority of QQ owners will not be looking at forums and as such will no doubt be driving around pretty content with their purchase without a complaint.There has even been comments that Nissan have admitted a CVT fault and are no longer taking orders for this box in 1.6 engine form, this is not true as the same combination is being fitted to the X Trail which can still be ordered, it is the backlog of QQ models and extreme delivery dates that is pushing the dealers to say this model is not available, it is, provided you are prepared to wait around 12 months for delivery
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

No point in manufacturers hiding fairly major problems in this day and age. It is almost always counterproductive because the truth will out and their avoidance of the issue will be seen as devious if not dishonest. Far better to say, 'yes, we have a minor issue with a component and we are waiting for a solution which will be applied to existing and new models off the line'. That would gain them credibility and respect from both existing and potential owners of the brand. Some major manufacturers have found out the hard way what the results of hiding issues are. The nature of the beast is to be secretive, but it is slowly changing to one where honesty and openness are seen to be the best policy.I went to the Nissan dealer wanting a CVT Qashqai but it was discreetly hinted at that it would not be a good idea [nudge nudge, wink wink"]] and that Nissan could not give a delivery date for such a specification. Fine. So I knew about it and was willing to compromise by ordering a manual transmission 1.5 diesel. No problem and I am grateful to the dealer staff for steering me in that direction. Next time [this will be my fifth Nissan since 1995"]] I hope I can buy a CVT version with confidence.
Quacker2014-11-03 17:07:49
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Surely easiest way is issue Nissan with a subject access request if affected and combine this with a freedom of information request (why not its funded by UK taxpayers lol) might show how many cars were made and presently how many cars have been returnedThe problem to my solution is are the cars bieng returned to Nissan under quality control reasons and what cars are returned and asorbed by the dealershipsOur cars and ive done a ASKIMID check are both showing valid insurance are held on the cars so despite getting returned they are out there somewhere doing something these were delivered in June 2014 all three were Xtronic only two showing faults and although on lease plan once we were informed there was no fix and these were features of the car it was incredibly easy to reject them as leasing company valued our buisness
Donkey2014-11-03 19:22:14