After market air filter

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
TC3

Post by TC3 »

Has anyone added an after market air filter such as K&N to the car? I ask as when I added one to my bike the engine seemed to breathe better and was a bit more responsive without noticeable effect on the MPG. The filter did not cost that much more than a standard filter uet lasts longer as it can be easily washed. Would like to hear views from others who may have done the change or know more about the effect on a diesel engine....
Tony ... 1.5 Acenta Premium in Gunmetal

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Be careful Tony with stop/start system and oil soaked air filters mateBut as we all know the air filters on our cars are the single biggest thing you can change impacting on better MPG and performanceElsewhere I know it was an concern I think it was on Vauxhall with the oil spray upsetting a sensor on the intake
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Donkey, could I ask why you need to be carful with stop/start and oiled filters? I know there is the potential for oil contaminating sensors in the air intake (mostly film based MAF sensors despite what K&N say, plenty of people on the Primera owners club who fitted a K&N with a film type MAF for them to screw up shortly afterwards) but I don't think there is any difference between stop-start and non-stop-start. Not quite sure what sensors are on the intake of the new QQs. I am thinking MAP sensor at least on the 1.2 because I cant see any sensor BEFORE the turbo where a MAF should go, where as MAP can go after the turbo and read both positive and negative pressure. As far as I understand, MAPS are generally fine with oil based filters and there is generally an oil mist in the intake after the turbo anyway (well, one they start getting on a bit)
TC3

Post by TC3 »

Donkey my K&N on the bike did not need oil to be applied to it before installing. It is the only K&N filter I have bought and I was not aware before now that sum are oiled. Need to look into this more and also see if there is affect on warranty. Easy enough to swap out though for any claim ?Y?€TC32014-10-28 19:03:33

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Its a light WD40 over it to trap the dirt I cant see how it can affect it unless over oiled but its discussed a lotLooking at cost of an aftermarket paper filter K&N is way id look As I said earlier its hot topics elsewhere along with voodoo and Bogeemen, I cant see how unless over oiled it can be a problem as its a light oil literaly a dusting needed when i know some use heavy oils and soak it
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I have also been looking into the K&N Filter Replacements, but it appears that the Manufacturers could term this modification as possible "Tuning" (what is with the Insurance Guys ?). Also are we really covered by the Guarantee if parts that are not OEM would have been installed. I am sure this would be a nice get out for the Manufacturers to prevent Guarantee claims being met. This might be worth considering or even asking Nissan before installation as asking costs nothing ! - Davehttp://www.nissan.com.au/Owners/Owner-Information/Warranty

Normal

false
false
false

DE
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

K&N's
replacement air filters are designed to increase horsepower and acceleration
while providing excellent filtration. We make over 1,200 different replacement
air filters for virtually every vehicle on the road. These filters are washable
and reusable and are custom designed to fit into your existing factory air box.
Their drop-in design means adding performance is simple. With most vehicles you
simply remove the disposable air filter and replace it with a K&N. See
applicable instruction sheet for details. Our stock replacement air filters for
street vehicles are covered by our famous K&N Million-Mile Limited
Warrantya„? and will be THE LAST AIR FILTER YOUR VEHICLE WILL EVER NEED. Designed
to boost horsepower and rate of acceleration

Can be cleaned and used
againHigh air flow with
exceptional filtrationLasts up to 50,000 miles
before cleaning is required depending on driving conditionsWorks with original
equipment manufacturer vehicle electronicsEmissions legal in all 50
US statesWill NOT
void vehicle warrantyMillion Mile Limited WarrantyA®

What is not covered ? (Nissan Statement AU)

unauthorized modifications or use of any non
"Genuine NISSAN" parts accessories or equipment.

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Normale Tabelle";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
IndigoZoo

Post by IndigoZoo »

Oh, K&N air filters. That reminds me of my Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI owning days in the 1980's/90's. I'm not sure that it made a noticeable difference performance wise (but I'm not disputing any claims by K&N). It did, however, make a difference to the noise generated from the engine compartment. I remember standing by the roadside, on an incline, as a mate drove my car past under acceleration just so I could hear the raspy engine noise. We swapped around. I loved that car. Those were the days ha ha.
IndigoZoo2014-10-29 04:46:24
1.5 dCi Inky Blue Tekna delivered on time on 11 November
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

205GTI wowA little off topic but do you remember those days they were cutting edge, the same as our modern QQ are bieng promotedId say its technicly an upgrade for insurance purposes, other than a remap theres not much more you can do but im sure Tony like others considering them not for performance but for servicing costs as they are washable every 6 months and paper ones amazingly expensive even aftermarket
TC3

Post by TC3 »

Too right Donkey... if I was looking for performance I would not have bought a QQ