CVT booked in

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Amos

Post by Amos »

I had been hoping it was my imagination but no. My QQ 1.6cvt tenka has been gradually been getting more and jerky, less smooth when slowing down and the revs are up and down when driving at a constant speed also has a clunk when pulling away somed times.
Took it to nissan this morning and while explaining to the fella on reception what was wrong a technician over heard me and said the last 2 cvt's they had in both needed new gearboxes ?Y?z
They going to try the software update first but didn't seem very confident that would cure it.
Anyway it's booked in on the 13th for 2 days I will keep you posted

Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

When i was told that they first have to check the software, the body language told me that there was much hope in that. The later conversation via phone call to advise that a new gearbox was required gave nothing away as to whether the gearbox exchange would be a permanent fix. Was just told that this was the advice of Nissan Tecnical Support. Personally, my gut feel is that there is no fix and putting a new gearbox in pospones the problem until hopefully they have a fix. I do 40-45k a year and my car is getting a new gearbox at 6300 miles. I might get lucky and not need another but i would bet i have another failure within the next 10k. We will see.
Amos

Post by Amos »

My car has done 3700 miles. They also asked if it's had a misfire I told them not yet ( prob jinxed it now)
I'm really disappointed because the first 3000 miles have been really good. Just hoping the software update will sort it
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

In fairness, the first 2000-3000 miles were a joy. Smooth, slick, easy and suprisingly swift and responsive.
It's the problems that follow that let an otherwise good car down.
First thing i noticed was intermitently the car just seemed flat, no go in it. Not slowbut had lost the punch and responsiveness like previously enjoyed. Then the revs start racing and the lag gets rediculous. Then the gearbox starts snatching and the revs start swinging wildly.

2 things to watch out for if you will be driving your car before it goes into the dealership:

- mine cut out while i was moving at 30mph. I had to coast to a halt, park and re-start the car. Have this in mind if it does happen and understand what you need to do. This happened to me on the outside lane on the M6 near A38 at tail end rush hour. Could have caused an accident and it did cause some mild panic so have a plan
- when on an incline, be aware that the car may roll back or forward. When i tried to park up the other day i had to manouver across an incline to get into a space. I reversed backwards, stopped, selected D and the car wouldn't pull forward up hill and then rolled back towards a parked car. Not sure if this was something to do with the lag and very low revs but it did eventually go forwards. I nearly hit the other car and had to do a bit of left foot breaking to stop rolling while trying to accelerate. Leave some space when on a hill just in case.