1.5dci Tekna - noisy engine sound.

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
rolledstone

Post by rolledstone »

When on tick over, the engine has become somewhat noisy. It never used to be like this. And when i raise the revs, it seems to quieten down. Anyone else had this problem??
2014 Qashqai Tekna

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Several possibilities that I can think of.1. Resonance of some vibrating trunking or pipes touching. This would include vibrating heat shields and similar. On my Juke, the inlet air pipe from the front to the air cleaner had a loose joint that I cured with a cable tie.2. The engine is pulling while idling. This will load the engine and cause louder combustion.3. It might be due an EGR regeneration. For this to happen you need to run the car until thoroughly up to working temperature, then run it up a long incline or otherwise under load at between 2000 to 3000 engine revs for three to five minutes. After which combustion should be quieter and economy improved. The question being, do you run it fairly hard and fast on occasion to allow normal regeneration?4. There may be something loose other than covered by 1. above.
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

Is it when it is cold or all the time?All Dci engines are a tad rattly when cold. HTH
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

I had this issue as have some others. It is the air inlet pipe from the front grill to the air filter box. A section of this is removable to give access to components below.There are two fixings, one on the air box where the pipe assembly connects, and a clip halfway along the pipe from the grill. This was solved with a cable tie around the pipe clip and a self tapping screw into the top of the air filter box where the pipe connects. Both done by the dealer.Problem solved.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
MJCQQ

Post by MJCQQ »

I had the exact same problem this very morning. I looked in the engine bay and there was a noticeable vibration coming from the large black air box on the passenger side of the engine bay. On closer inspection one of the clips had actually broken off.I put a rubber strap around the offending area and the vibration is gone. I am literally about to phone the dealer to book it in for a fix.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Ive noticed the same. Only when engine is cold and only for about 10 minutes. Explanations above sound about right. Cheers guys, will rectify this weekend.
rolledstone

Post by rolledstone »

Thanks for all the replies, I have checked the joint for the air intake and the sound is coming from there. I have used a cable tie around the joint and it worked. Noise has gone. Thanks again.
2014 Qashqai Tekna
MJCQQ

Post by MJCQQ »

Delighted to hear you got it sorted. It is soul destroying when a new car develops a rattle/noise when only a week or two old.