Danish article about CVT Problems

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Could be Montimar this is why comparing and discussion is goodThere is now no mention of the CVT boasts on Nissans site currently, a google search show it was once boasted of bieng unique and intuiative but who knowsThe CVT system relys on a pressure pump that obviously increases the gearing and if you read prior to this many comment on the gearchange (CVT shouldnt feel a gear change) and this feature was clever electronics that tried to make the car feel like a conventional systemThe clever electronics are essential to get the emmision certificate its not something they can just remove from the carKey is to get the CVT (which in itself is infamous for problems) to work with the simulated gear change and then throw DPF regen into the equation and theres possible conflictIn the QQ there are actualy diffrent versions of the gearbox hence some are called Xtronic etc these are things exclusive to the Nissan rangeBut this is not a new problem Nissan have been dealing since 1996 tinkering and altering thingsBasicly the demands needed to get high fuel economy and low emmisions from a gearbox that not know for basic reliability is the problem, It currently cannot be fixed and its unlikely in the near future a working model will be madeNow Nissan can actualy admit this but there not going to (its been a problem nearly 9 years they not going to change) PeterL idea is actualy a perfect one if everyone could find a place for a day get some media cover and be a calm supportive group those with probles could demonstrate them those without could see whats diffrent in there build and those who are just concerned could show and supportI dont think a massive gathering of new concerned customers has been done in UK but if it could be done one thing for sure Nissan would have to make a formal comment about it

supergrover

Post by supergrover »

I'm all in favour of a meet up, even if I don't have a CVT - it'd just be nice to meet up! Somewhere nice and central, convenient for both PeterL and myself - St. Andrews perhaps? But joking aside, it'd be good to put faces to names, plus I could do demonstrations of how to get nearly 80mpg from a 1.5dci ...
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

A meet could be greatSo many owners are adamant 60+ fuel and yet others adamant mid 40s these cars just dont seem related some timesCVT owners argue two diffrent sides of coin surely there has to be quailty control issues at Sunderland to have such massive diffrent opinionsId urge Splank or forum owners to think up a big meet united together for an answer
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

From Donkey:

"The clever electronics are essential to get the emmision certificate its not something they can just remove from the car"

Thanks Donkey, you have hit the nail on the head. Emissions are everything. From European legislation on emissions targets to benefit in kind tax for company car drivers, alteration of the way this engine and CVT combo functions will certainly have an adverse effect on emissions classification.
I just did a quick calc of my benefit in kind tax on my 1.6 Xtronic Tekna and if the BIK percentage charge were to rise by a single point from 19 to 20 percent it would cost me at least an additional £610 tax over the next 3 years and that would not be something I would be prepared to tolerate. I'm currently at around 6500 miles and I only achieve 41-42mpg on mostly motorway travel. Pretty disappointing and these numbers may suggest that percentage rise may be more than a single point.
Suddenly one of the high priority criteria when I decided to get the CVT Qashqai has changed dramatically and had I been aware this model would have a higher rate of tax I would have selected a non-auto or completely different car.
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

On the Nissan CVT fitted to current production Qashqai, is the simulated step-ratio feature not user selectable? Have you not got the choice of using it as a completely infinite ratio, smoothly changing according to load and throttle position? On another tack, I don't believe they are fitting many, if any, CVT's to UK production 1.6 litre diesel Qashqai at present. Not because of demand elsewhere, but purely due to an unacceptable number of problems in service. They cannot or will not [depending on your dealer"]] give a build date for new orders, yet most manual models can be built in 5 weeks, depending mostly on the colour chosen.
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

Today I saw my first Qashqai breakdown on my way north on the M6 around J5. It was a Magnetic Red Tekna loaded on a breakdown truck. Could just be out of fuel I suppose but I would be very interested to know what power train it had and what was the cause of the breakdown. Hmmmm.....

Was it anyone here???
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="Quacker"]On the Nissan CVT fitted to current production Qashqai, is the simulated step-ratio feature not user selectable? Have you not got the choice of using it as a completely infinite ratio, smoothly changing according to load and throttle position? [/QUOTE]
It uses infinite ratio when you accelerate with ease, but as you push throttle harder, CVT mimics gear change.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
montimar

Post by montimar »

Thanks Duncho That explains why I don't detect the gear change. I accelerate with ease during normal driving and only put the pedal to the metal during passing a slower car. I'm looking at the road ahead so I'm not sure of the revs but the response is instant and it goes like a stuck rat with a healthy roar from the engine.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

My CVT has 3500 under its wheels now and I haven't experienced this problem. I find the initial hesitation coming out of junctions slightly worrying but I have learned to allow for that and once on the move I am more than happy with the performance of the gearbox. Better than my previous Audi CVT.
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Snip: CVT Qashqai has changed dramatically and had I been aware this model would have a higher rate of tax I would have selected a non-auto or completely different car.Anyone have any idea what the tax rate / emissions are for the 1.2 CVT - compared to the 1.6?
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.