1.5dci Exhaust viberation noise

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Jacko5

Post by Jacko5 »

Hi, Can anyone advise on this please? 1.5dci - when cruising at around 1500-1600 revs there is a vibrating/rasping noise coming from the mid to front exhaust area of the car. More able to hear in 1st or 2nd gear. Started at around 6000 miles, now done 12,000 Sounds like a bubbling metallic noise - anyone any ideas on what this could be? Really annoying now - had it back to the dealer who couldn't hear anything! many thanks Jacko

ShinyAndy

Post by ShinyAndy »

Sounds like a heatshield, mine was doing the same. Dealer has fixed it now, said there were three fixings that were loose.
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

I get a metallic rattle if I labour the engine, especially noticeable in the lower gears, I guess because the speed and therefore ambient noise level is low. I expect I have a loose heat shield too as ShinyAndy says, but using it as a reminder to change down and keep revs up, I'm prepared to leave it until there's a better reason to take it in to the dealer unless it gets markedly worse.
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
Jacko5

Post by Jacko5 »

thanks - I will take a look to see what I can see. Dealer had it in for 2 days to try and find it but couldn't - so said let it develop... and its still the same after a month! best regards, Jacko
FoxyG

Post by FoxyG »

I suspect mine is producing the same noise...just over 1600 miles. Hadn't really noticed it 'til comments were made on here. Booked in at the dealers for a 'complimentary' 1500 mile check up in 2 days and I have a "little list", courtesy of this forum , for them to check
July 2014 1.5 DCi Tekna, Pearl Black. Chrome pack,bonnet protector and black Alloy Gators.
kinelfire

Post by kinelfire »

Almost certainly the heat shield, common problem on many cars
Cafe Latte 2010 1.5 n-tec. then 2013 Black 1.5 360+2
biggster

Post by biggster »

If it's a thin, tinny rattle then it's probably a heat shield. If it's not tinny, is a lower frequency rattle and you're at low revs and trying to accelerate, then it's probably the crankshaft hitting the bearing shells because the oil pressure is too low to keep the crank floating on a layer of oil. I often hear this on many manual cars where people are labouring their engines at far too few revs. Especially with the 1.5 dci engine that we have, it needs a decent amount of revs to pull away without straining too much. Does the rattle happen when the car is in neutral, or only when you're driving/accelerating from low speed?
biggster2014-09-16 17:50:48
Pearl Black 1.5dci Tekna - Chrome Mirrors, Chrome Door Strips, Chrome Front lip finisher, Chrome Lower Boot Strip, Mats...
Jacko5

Post by Jacko5 »

Hi, cheers for that. It happens when 'rolling' in any gear at bang between 1500 -1600 revs. If I feather the throttle its a semi - deep sound, sounds like coming though the exhaust around the forward part of the passenger foot well. It only happens when I feather the throttle rolling at a constant speed (if it was a carb car I would say as soon as the butterfly opened) - not when coasting with the clutch in or in neutral. The car isn't struggling for revs especially in 1st or 2nd at that amount of road/engine speed. Does that suggest anything to you? Best regards, Jacko
ShinyAndy

Post by ShinyAndy »

Yes, the exhaust shield mine was exactly the same.
biggster

Post by biggster »

[quote="Jacko5"]
Hi, cheers for that. It happens when 'rolling' in any gear at bang between 1500 -1600 revs. If I feather the throttle its a semi - deep sound, sounds like coming though the exhaust around the forward part of the passenger foot well. It only happens when I feather the throttle rolling at a constant speed (if it was a carb car I would say as soon as the butterfly opened) - not when coasting with the clutch in or in neutral. The car isn't struggling for revs especially in 1st or 2nd at that amount of road/engine speed. Does that suggest anything to you? Best regards, Jacko[/QUOTE]
I agree - sounds like some kind of heat shield is vibrating. Nothing too serious - It's an easy fix for your dealer or you :)
Pearl Black 1.5dci Tekna - Chrome Mirrors, Chrome Door Strips, Chrome Front lip finisher, Chrome Lower Boot Strip, Mats...