CVT and Fuel Consumption

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
nissanskyliner

Post by nissanskyliner »

Why are we in UK so hung up with economy?A penny a litre on fuel creates a que to buy it yet the extra weight in the car from bieng full dismisses that ideaIf you worked out the car done 30mpg nothing you can do about it after all in most cases were tied into a finance deal Fuel saving measures like empty boot and car and check tyres gentle driving could be taken of course but in reality how long does it actualy last, along with walking to local shops etcI say if the guage is out on the Qashqai and out on every other brand then it sort of levels it all outDont forget a litre of fuel from Asda in my case gets gobbled up faster than a litre of fuel in Shell my old car done around 100 miles to a tenner and new one does more than a 100 miles to a tenner on same run so its hard to work out

supergrover

Post by supergrover »

So, exactly how optimistic is the trip computer in the Qashqai? In the interests of science, and because I'm obsessed with fuel economy, I'm taking a note of the trip reading at the end of each journey this week, which I'll then average and compare with the Fuelly figure at the weekend.

For instance, at the end of my drive home from work (Grangemouth to Kirkcaldy, 38 miles, via Kincardine bridge and A92, at speeds around 50 to 65mph using cruise control wherever possible and no coasting in neutral) was as follows DSC_0839.JPG
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
ukwebb

Post by ukwebb »

[quote="nissanskyliner"]A penny a litre on fuel creates a que to buy it yet the extra weight in the car from bieng full dismisses that idea[/QUOTE]
i'm with you on this one- if it goes up 1p per litre the queues are immense, and yet in reality its probably a 50/60p saving! - if you chew up loads of miles then the overall cost increase does have an impact, but for the average driver, you'd spend more than that whilst queueing! the same thing applies to going to a different garage to fill up to save a penny per litreon a tank full of 50 litres that would be a saving of 50p which equates to the equivalent of less 5 miles fuel !The cheapest fuel is the one on your route !! - as soom as you divert, it starts to get less cheap !!
English by Nature, Yorkshire by the Grace of God
Qashqai 2014 1.6dci CVT Tekna Magnetic Red - ordered April Born Oct 15th 2014
ukwebb

Post by ukwebb »

[quote="supergrover"]So, exactly how optimistic is the trip computer in the Qashqai? In the interests of science, and because I'm obsessed with fuel economy, I'm taking a note of the trip reading at the end of each journey this week, which I'll then average and compare with the Fuelly figure at the weekend. For instance, at the end of my drive home from work (Grangemouth to Kirkcaldy, 38 miles, via Kincardine bridge and A92, at speeds around 50 to 65mph using cruise control wherever possible and no coasting in neutral) was as follows DSC_0839.JPG[/QUOTE]
79 - thats amazing, be interesting to compare this to your fuelly results
English by Nature, Yorkshire by the Grace of God
Qashqai 2014 1.6dci CVT Tekna Magnetic Red - ordered April Born Oct 15th 2014
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

supergrover - the man form Kirkcaldy!And if only to prove my point I traveled from Dundee to Dublane today and whilst I don't have the photo to prove it I averaged 48mpg there and back, but that was at 70-80mph which for me is perfectly acceptable - even if it really is only 43mpg. I too don't see the MPG as anything more than an interesting bit of information on the screen that may or may not come up when looking for the bragging rights down at the pub. It's irrelevant in real terms.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
nissanskyliner

Post by nissanskyliner »

[quote="PeterL"]supergrover - the man form Kirkcaldy!And if only to prove my point I traveled from Dundee to Dublane today and whilst I don't have the photo to prove it I averaged 48mpg there and back, but that was at 70-80mph which for me is perfectly acceptable - even if it really is only 43mpg. I too don't see the MPG as anything more than an interesting bit of information on the screen that may or may not come up when looking for the bragging rights down at the pub. It's irrelevant in real terms.[/QUOTE]43 mpg sounds low but id say thats good at that speed, considering its a tall car and a tiny engine not to mention CVT thats realy a good resultI have a little clio outside as a demo with the same engine in manual and that doesnt claim to give what I know the Qashqai can do (although as its a demo im driving harder than I would my own car)The tyre pressure also isnt dead accurate and we dont worry about that bieng a little out
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

[quote="PeterL"] I too don't see the MPG as anything more than an interesting bit of information on the screen that may or may not come up when looking for the bragging rights down at the pub. It'sA irrelevant in real terms.[/QUOTE]

It's relevant to me, in so far as the little display helps me maximise my fuel mileage, ignoring the actual figures - and I'm saving £150 roughly a month compared to what the previous car used, and that makes one hell of a difference to our household finances. Did I mention that I'm loving the Qashqai? supergrover2014-09-29 21:46:28
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

As indeed are most of use on here I believe, I fully appreciate where you're coming from 'supergrover' but I have always had a heavy right foot and I'm far too busy working out where everyone else to bother too much about MPG. If your figures were just a little different that mine I might be tempted to pay attention but 70+MPG just seems way out of my reach.
PeterL2014-09-29 21:52:28
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
nissanskyliner

Post by nissanskyliner »

Try the A roads.My work trip is 43 miles of a straight 40-50mph road with 3 roundabouts and one set of traffic lights and always without exception there are HGV going along at 40 mphFor 6 days a week i travel this road for 12 years and had many cars including a realy frugal ford fiesta diesel and nothing has got close to the Qashqai when I use my tried n tested method of filling up and thinking of when last filled and the car at these speeds certainly I wouldnt say is slow On Motorways driving 70-80 I will say its not that good either on spare power if you need to pass something or fuel economy, I realy think over 2k revs and the engine sups too much when you look at the exhaust smoke but then every car simply lie about figures even the Vauxhall Insignia now claim over 80mpg from a 2.0 140ps engine So Nissan are not realy that far out comparing other manufactures Anyone thought of a forum meet maybe when a group as large as possible convoy on a beano with brimmed tanks then retop up after say 50 miles? traveling same roads at same speeds at same time?
Toffeeggs

Post by Toffeeggs »

All the cars I've had over about forty years, I've had them to enjoy them. This car of mine now, when reading info off the dash tells me I average out at 42mpg. I've never had it in Eco mode and the info always reads about 60 to 65. I drive to enjoy it and not worry about mpg. If I could not afford it I would get a bus pass. I'm in my sixties and I'm affraid I keep up with the traffic and don't poodle along 15 mph below the speed limit and don't wear a hat while driving like all those old coffin dodgers you see holding up the traffic.
I've got the car and go out to enjoy it. Forget the mpg and just enjoy the car.
Don't get hung up on the mpg if you cannot afford it then the answer is to get a smaller car. Toffeeggs2014-09-29 23:32:51
XTrailQashqaiJuked& nowbacktoQashqaiwithGun Metal1.6Teknacvt