CVT and Fuel Consumption

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Eziv2730

Post by Eziv2730 »

[quote="stephen160"]
what is the name of the app pleaseA steve[/QUOTE]

I use an app called Car Minder on my iPhone.
White J11 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 CVT

Eziv2730

Post by Eziv2730 »

[quote="duncho"] Common, this is nothing unusual and European car manufacturers were cheating this way for years just to show better fuel consumption to their customers. In EE this is not controlled / forbiden like in US, they know it and use it.
None of the cars I owned was accurate. New Qashqai shows about 0,5l fuel consumption less, old Qashqai showed 0,7l difference. The best results had US company car Chevrolet Impala which showed only 0,2l diference. Ask yourself a question, why Nissan did not program it to show worse fuel consumption results?
So it's not fuel leaking, it's manufacturer's cheating! [/QUOTE]

I think you are totally right. From my experience all cars underestimate their consumption yet it's never the other way round. Though to be fair the computer on f30 BMW with 320d engine was almost spot on from my experience. I drove it for 10k and on a average it only lied by 0.2 litres.
montimar

Post by montimar »

Do you think the stop/start system results in fuel cons problems? My computer read out is always within 5% of the true reading of around 60 MPG. The first thing I do after starting the engine is turn it off.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
Eziv2730

Post by Eziv2730 »

I've had cars without start stop and didn't prevent them underestimating the consumption.
Squierrel

Post by Squierrel »

I can understand underestimating consumption in the official figures. The engines and gearboxes may be specifically tuned for getting the best possible results froms the standard test cycles and the real life consumption may then be something else. Anyway, that is cheating by which something can be gained. But making the trip computer show incorrect figures just does not make any sense. Nobody buys a car based on dasboard readout consumption, no country has the taxation based on trip computer display. There is nothing to be gained by making the computer readout show incorrect figures. Nobody gets any happier by that.
1.6 dCi130 Xtronic Business 360
duncho

Post by duncho »

You are right, but I guess there is not many customers who calculate real fuel consumption of theirs cars. When you read any forum, most ppl report BC readings instead of real results and car manufacturers know that. Personally, I don't know many ppl who do that either.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

Kirkcaldy guy here! I rarely do a trip of any distance that shows less than 70mpg on the computer, but Fuelly (as you can see from my sig below) gives a "true" figure in the high 60's. So the trip computer is optimistic - then again, I've never had a car that wasn't.
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
Eziv2730

Post by Eziv2730 »

[quote="duncho"]You are right, but I guess there is not many customers who calculate real fuel consumption of theirs cars. When you read any forum, most ppl report BC readings instead of real results and car manufacturers know that. Personally, I don't know many ppl who do that either. [/QUOTE]
Yes, and there are people like my friend who religiously believes in what the computer says on his Renault Megane. I keep telling him to at least once do a measurement himself but he doesn't listen :) You know, it is comforting to believe that your car is so economical.
nissanskyliner

Post by nissanskyliner »

I think its a feel good factor thingI like most see the avg trip and feel good getting out seeing the car hits high 60s Ive no idea the real avg consumption, end of day I refil my car every time the light comes on and try not to think about it but as the avg consumption is normaly on its a feel good factor on the car.In fact when asked about the car my first answer out of my lips is its great on fuel so maybe its done on cars with the idea if you tell someone enough they start to believe it Ive never sat done and worked it out mainly as if I did I would seriously question can I afford to run a car, gone are the days of a tenner splash n dash and adding £20 although it looks good on guage wont last the week normaly so my way is red light on 100 miles left fill up hold breath pay on card without looking at the cost and grumble way home forget about it when im thereBut in my mind the Qashqai is realy good on fuel if you drive careful mine says high 60s once went into 70s but id say im doing around 55-60 which is still very good considering my driving style
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="Eziv2730"] [quote="duncho"]You are right, but I guess there is not many customers who calculate real fuel consumption of theirs cars. When you read any forum, most ppl report BC readings instead of real results and car manufacturers know that. Personally, I don't know many ppl who do that either. [/QUOTE]

Yes, and there are people like my friend who religiously believes in what the computer says on his Renault Megane. I keep telling him to at least once do a measurement himself but he doesn't listen :) You know, it is comforting to believe that your car is so economical.A [/QUOTE]

:)) ...for example ;)
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!