CVT and Fuel Consumption

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

I drive a 2014 1.6 Tekna CVT Diesel. Until today I have been extremely disappointed with the fuel consumption. On a round trip between South Wales and Lincoln I managed an average of just 42 mpg. I drive quite reasonably, no rapid acceleration etc. I keep reading on the forums that fuel consumption will improve as the engine beds in.Anyway today I did a 50 mile each way trip, motorway and dual carriageway. At the end of the outward leg I averaged 41mpg. Being really unhappy with this I decided to drive home in 'manual' mode. Result 55.6mpg which is what I call a result. This has also increased my average 1 reading quite considerably from mid 40s to over 50.I need to investigate further, preferably on a quiet stretch of motorway but I am fairly sure that at times when I switched between auto and manual the display would for an instant show D5 but manually I was able to select 7th and continue cruising comfortably.I have just this minute returned home so as I said, I need to investigate further (monitor mph against RPM) but I wonder if anyone else with a CVT has noticed this. I am tempted to think that the CVT is not using the full range of the box.
2019 1.3 Tekna Dig-T 160 (Automatic)
2014 1.6 dCi Tekna CVT Bronze Metallic - delivered 9/7/14

phaedra

Post by phaedra »

My 1.5dci is very poor, still getting about 41mpg and not driving like a boy racer. Garage had it in and agreed it's low but have no idea why, they emailed Nissan technical and as of yesterday (about 2 weeks later) still haven't had a reply. Reading 1 is currently showing 38.1, I topped it up yesterday and it worked out at 40.5mpg, very, very disappointing. It seems to be very underpowered at times, doing 30 in 4th it struggles with any sort of load like going up a slight incline etc.
phaedra2014-09-10 16:31:39
Goodbye Qashqai, Hello Ford Kuga, much quieter ride and a decent sound system :)
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

There's definitely something wrong with your car Phaedra - I usually get into the 70+ mpg range from my 1.5 driving sedately - this morning I overslept and had to rush to work at 70mph on the motorway and even so I still got 64mpg average at the end of the 40 minute run.
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

I should add that my car has done just over 3000 miles now.
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

I completely agree, unfortunately neither the dealer or Nissan seem to be interested in doing anything about it. Motability have agreed I can terminate the lease at any time, I just have to find something else I can fit into and afford the Advance Purchase cost of. So far there's not a lot of choice apart from the Yeti or Seat Altea, the Skoda dealer isn't interested and it's at least 3 months to get one and the Altea is like going back to the late 80's in terms of build and driving experience. If I had a spare £2000 I'd go get another Honda CRV!.
Goodbye Qashqai, Hello Ford Kuga, much quieter ride and a decent sound system :)
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="teknaken"] I drive a 2014 1.6 Tekna CVT Diesel.A  Until today I have been extremely disappointed with the fuel consumption.A  On a round trip between South Wales and Lincoln I managed an average of just 42 mpg.A  I drive quite reasonably, no rapid acceleration etc.A  I keep reading on the forums that fuel consumption will improve as the engine beds in.
Anyway today I did a 50 mile each way trip, motorway and dual carriageway.A  At the end of the outward leg I averaged 41mpg.A  Being really unhappy with this I decided to drive home in 'manual' mode.A  Result 55.6mpg which is what I call a result.A  This has also increased my average 1 reading quite considerably from mid 40s to over 50.
I need to investigate further, preferably on a quiet stretch of motorway but I am fairly sure that at times when I switched between auto and manual the display would for an instant show D5 but manually I was able to select 7th and continue cruising comfortably.
I have just this minute returned home so as I said, I need to investigate further (monitor mph against RPM) but I wonder if anyone else with a CVT has noticed this.A  I am tempted to think that the CVT is not using the full range of the box.
[/QUOTE]

Teknaken, I have exactly the same problem, average 7.5-8 l/100km
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

[quote="phaedra"] I just have to find something else I can fit into and afford the Advance Purchase cost of.A  So far there's not a lot of choice apart from the Yeti or Seat Altea
[/QUOTE]

Did you ever consider a Zafira?
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

No, seen enough problems with Antaras and Moccas to put me off Vauxhall for life!.
Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

My car has done just over 100 miles so far. I encounter a range of driving conditions, so driving though London yesterday in terrible traffic I was getting in the low 20s.However, generally with a normal mix of driving I get into the 50s, my long term average (I haven't reset Reading 1 since collecting the car) is 46.3mpg which does include open roads and busy roads and quite a few short journeys is not too bad for such a new engine.My best to date was set today coming back from the golf club, it is only 5 miles but I managed to update a new personal best of 67.5mpg.
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

That's a lot of motoring and averages to cram into 100 miles!