STICKY: CVT problems hunting

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

If it wasn't for this forum I woouldnt know ther is supposed to be a major problem with the CVT box.. Haven't seen outcries in press etc. do not dispute people have had problems, and if I had been in the same situation I would be as mad as a hatter.
Unfortunately it seems impossible to get a handle on what percentage of cars have been affected to the extent that they have needed a gearbox change as opposed to a recall.
Having driven a cvt gearbox for ten years there is no doubt they have different characteristics which may be an issue wth some people. Personally I don't have a problem with them in principle, I do expect if I do have a problem with that s or any other part of the car I get the same response fom nissan that I always received from Toyota
Tekna 1.6 CVT Nightshade

Grocer Jack

Post by Grocer Jack »

[quote="Kentishman"] If it wasn't for this forum I woouldnt know ther is supposed to be a major problem with the CVT box.. Haven't seen outcries in press etc. do not dispute people have had problems, and if I had been in the same situation I would be as mad as a hatter.
Unfortunately it seems impossible to get a handle on what percentage of cars have been affected to the extent that they have needed a gearbox change as opposed to a recall.
Having driven a cvt gearbox for ten years there is no doubt they have different characteristics which may be an issue wth some people. Personally I don't have a problem with them in principle, I do expect if I do have a problem with that s or any other part of the car I get the same response fom nissan that I always received from Toyota [/QUOTE]

I agree that cvt may be the future for auto boxes and that cvts have different characteristics. However unless any forum members cars have sufered the issues identified on this forum they cannot be expected to understand that these issues are nothing to do with 'characteristics' - being unable to safely drive at any speed over 60mph due to vibration/ misfire/ shuddering, noting that revs fly up and down randomly and extreem drive off lag, can not be a characteristic of any car built after 1908!

I suport this coment by the fact that on my car the issue apears to have been resolved by the december recall (however a second update is due to be actioned in a couple of days).

I think the QQ is a great car and intened to stick with it, in the hope that Nissan have rectified the situation - only time will tell
Quashqai 1.6dci Acenta vis tronic pearl black - DOB March 2014 -- Previous Quashqai 1.5dci Acenta (2010)
Luton Driver

Post by Luton Driver »

Forums like this pick up trends and issues. I have already owned a couple of lemons that the dealer was happy to fix while the car was under warranty but I had to dump both cars as soon as the warranty expired. What seems to be fairly unique here is that Nissan have released a gearbox that they must have known had major issues and the cars often can't be fixed. I don't want to take a chance in buying a car with a gearbox with known problems. If the gearbox has problems now what is going to happen when the warranty runs out? If I bought a car without the gearbox problems there is a good chance that it could get the problem after 3 years. No one knows the life expectancy of these gearboxes but the signs so far is that it is not looking good.I see Ford charge an extra £350 for a 5 year warranty while the last time I looked Nissan wanted close to a £1000. That speaks volumes about how Nissan view the reliability of their cars. What a shame as I really like the look and economy of the car but at the moment I am having to cross this car off my short list.
Luton Driver2015-03-01 08:50:18
Grocer Jack

Post by Grocer Jack »

Knowing what I know now, (although I think the rest of the car is fantastic) if i were buying now I would be taking the same route as you Luton unless there was clear noises from Nissan that these issues were resolved and safegards were put in for owners (extended warranty)
Quashqai 1.6dci Acenta vis tronic pearl black - DOB March 2014 -- Previous Quashqai 1.5dci Acenta (2010)
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

It's interesting how the CVT topics have settled down since the recall. We all have to hope its a 100% solution to the problems experienced by many and brewing for others. Since the update/new cvt i have had a re-emergence of the lurching symptom but it was brief for 2-3 journeys and nothing since for about 4-5K.
I do think there are updated CVT's out there which responded to tge software changes that may have had some abuse by the original issue. Sure would not like to pick one of those up second hand. I still feel that the problem is masked by the software to to prevent agitation of the real problem in the CVT. Fortunately there is little noticable effect in the drive of the car although the lag is still wicked bad.

There are a few other ititations with the tech and squeaks / rattles but Nissan do seem to be slowly getting to the bottom of things. Other than that, a pretty good car. Its a shame Nissan have not confirmed the issues and fixes in a clear and honest maner rather than leave their good customers to speculate on the mixed messages at best and complete denial at worst.
ged

Post by ged »

I sent in a video of the revs going up and down (same problem in my last gearbox) over a week ago to Nissan and guess whata€¦a€¦No one has come back to me again!a€¦..My dealer is a small dealer and he says they have done 5 gearboxes now. Times that by all the dealers around the country thats a lot of problemsa€¦.for all those people on here that are happy with you autos now, let me know how happy you are in a few years with the resale valuea€¦once its public knowledge Its a shame Nissan Customer care can't see the bigger picturea€¦.
overpar

Post by overpar »

Hi,experiencing mega problems, with cvt box, it's like driving with the handbrake on, then a sudden burst of power, between 70/85 and 100/120 Km, most noticable.car in garage, last week, no fault found, back again tomorrow, and i won't be taking it back this time, unless it's sorted. If they suggest a new box, don't think that's acceptable, on a 6 month old car, also had to bring it back, with front parking sensors, acting up while driving, on the motorway, plus the sliding vinyl roof panel, getting jammed in the open position.
Hope this was helpful.
Over par. Ireland
Grocer Jack

Post by Grocer Jack »

Hi overpar, just for intrest can you confirm if you had the December recall works completed on your CVT?
And let us know how you get on

Good luck
overpar

Post by overpar »

Yes, I had it done, I'm not 100% sure, but I only noticed it, after the uplate, and i was not notified about the update, untill I had the car in the garage,for the parking sensor problem.
If my car that cost over 36 grand, needs a new box, after 6months driving, then I think, Nissan should be replacing the car, and not the troublesome gearbox.Any view's on that suggestion? Over Par.
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

Hello Overpar,

Very disappointing to hear of your CVT problems having had the recent update. It may well be something completely different to the well known Lurching issues that have bothered many CVT owners including myself. From what you described it sounds like the engine could not be ruled out.
Do the engine revs increase or swing a few hundred or thousand rpm each time you feel the cars power increase? This is typical of the CVT problems.
I think there are a lot of cars out there that have had the update applied but on worn / damaged CVT's that have responded well to the update. For now...
All of the CVT symptoms, info on updates, speculation and (for a balanced view) praise can be found, well documented and described on this forum.
As for getting a replacement car or refund, i would not hold your breath but good luck trying. I think the norm is that you have to give the supplier fair opportunity to fix and make good the problem though this must have limitations. One could argue as a consumer that the good are not fit for purpose but fair chance at repair would still need to be considered i suppose.