STICKY: CVT problems hunting

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

GED, I sympathise with your predicament, but don't go into your dealer ranting and raving quoting the Sale of Goods Act or indeed rejecting the vehicle. Time limits apply in all such cases and it is not that long at all. Each case is treated differently and would need to be done legally at your expense. Hard as it is, you will get further by keeping your calm with the dealer, staying polite, keeping copies of all your correspondence and give them appropriate time to reply. A trip to your local Citizens Advice Office wouldnt harm either. Their advice will be up to date, helpfull and could stop you from doing something that may hinder your case.

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

[quote="gvmdaddy"]GED, I sympathise with your predicament, but don't go into your dealer ranting and raving quoting the Sale of Goods Act or indeed rejecting the vehicle. Time limits apply in all such cases and it is not that long at all. Each case is treated differently and would need to be done legally at your expense. Hard as it is, you will get further by keeping your calm with the dealer, staying polite, keeping copies of all your correspondence and give them appropriate time to reply. A trip to your local Citizens Advice Office wouldnt harm either. Their advice will be up to date, helpfull and could stop you from doing something that may hinder your case.[/QUOTE]
Notea€¦. "You" in the following post mostly means the OP. Hope you follow it as it is intendeda€¦.It depends on the dealer. Some couldn't give a monkey's.Since Nissan have point-blank refused to deal with the issue, you can only get in touch with the finance company and tell them in writing that you have to unfortunately reject the vehicle as it is faulty and the manufacturer is incapable of rectifying it.As someone said, your contract is with the finance company, if applicable, and your selling dealer, not with Nissan UK.I find it a great pity that UK industrial producers treat their customers so shabbily. It was the downfall of the Midlands manufacturing giants and it will yet be the downfall of arrogant companies like Nissan UK Manufacturing. I had exactly the same attitude from Land Rover back in the late 1980's when I bought a new diesel Range Rover. Its brakes locked up the back wheels and were lethally dangerous and the dealer did several warranty repairs to no effect. They had the LR service rep down to look at it with a view to getting repair advice and instead he said that they had spent too much already on it and washed the company's hands of it. I was more upset than angry I remember. Luckily the dealer was very good and had it in for a week or so to try again and claimed for whatever they did under another RR's warranty and sorted it. If I wasn't there at the dealer and saw and heard the arrogant Brummy git myself, I would never have believed it possible from the manufacturer.While I kept the RR for a few years, I didn't buy another new LR product for the next fifteen years and they missed out on probably 10 expensive SUV sales from me during that period when I bought everything from MercML to BMW X5 to Toyota LC Amazon, Isuzu Trooper and three non-Land Rover pickups, oh and the three Nissan Terrano's I bought on the same day [the RR was one of the part exchanges"]. The majority of these could have been LR products. At one point I was running four of their premium products at the same time and these were all replaced by other brands in due course and I am currently without any of their products and likely to be for the foreseeable future. I am slightly biassed against them and the bitter taste has still not gone away 23 years later.If I had been treated by Nissan UK like you have I would make very sure to avoid the brand in future and that anyone that asked was made aware of their attitude towards their vehicles and customers.Best of luck getting it sorted to your satisfaction.
Quacker2015-02-19 16:11:52
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Just a quick correction - otherwise everything else is OK albeit rather long-winded and not necessarily to the point. 'Your Contract is with the Finance Company' it might be but I doubt it. The clue is in the name, they don't sell cars - they provide finance. The thought that you might want to stop paying them might get them onside but the reality I suspect is that you took out a finance agreement and you accepted the car and now you promised to pay them back over whatever the period. The garage sold you the car.If only to make the point. Had you borrowed say £20,000 from your bank to buy a car you surely wouldn't expect the bank to write the loan off if you didn't like the car you bought?
PeterL2015-02-19 17:20:20
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

[quote="PeterL"]Just a quick correction - otherwise everything else is OK albeit rather long-winded and not necessarily to the point. 'Your Contract is with the Finance Company' it might be but I doubt it. The clue is in the name, they don't sell cars - they provide finance. The thought that you might want to stop paying them might get them onside but the reality I suspect is that you took out a finance agreement and you accepted the car and now you promised to pay them back over whatever the period. The garage sold you the car.If only to make the point. Had you borrowed say £20,000 from your bank to buy a car you surely wouldn't expect the bank to write the loan off if you didn't like the car you bought?
[/QUOTE]
You are quite wrong. The finance company do sell cars. It is they that invoice the customer and the dealership sells the car and is paid for it by the finance company. That is a matter of fact if finance is involved. If the customer fails to pay the finance, it is the finance company that takes action to repossess, not the dealer, because it is the finance company's property until paid for.Where finance is concerned, the dealer acts as a go-between to the manufacturer, who is paid for the stock by the dealer, and the finance company, to whom the dealer actually sells the car after finding a customer for them and securing the deal.It is often the case that the dealer's representative takes care of the sale and organises the finance. In this case he is working for two different companies. He organises the sale of the car to the customer for the dealership but when doing the finance he is actually selling the car to the finance company and when he does the paperwork he is selling it on to the customer on behalf of the finance company. The dealer's paperwork invoices the finance company, not the customer sitting in front of him. It is the finance company that invoices the customer, so it is the finance company that a€¦a€¦a€¦a€¦ well I won't repeat this again as it is quite simply fact.

Quacker2015-02-19 18:16:00
ged

Post by ged »

[quote="PeterL"]GEd - It is important that you insist that Nissan CS write to you and repeat this "Today Nissan customer service said they will do no more for me as this is a characteristic of the vehicle and If Im not happy with the decision talk to the motor code."[/QUOTE]
Thanks Peter this is what I've requested, lets wait and seea€¦..Had another trip to the dealers today (12th visit) to show the video of the second gearbox 'hunting' on the rev countera€¦. they seem to be in the same boat, as Nissan won't talk to them either about my car. Called into another 2 garages today and they both said there is a significant fault with the knockinga€¦a€¦a€¦forwarded the video of hunting to nissan lets wait and seea€¦.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

As usual some claim to know everything and there are conflicting opinions. I don't claim to know it all but stand by what I said before.....stay calm, be courteous, document everything, don't go in demanding things.....if you are still getting nowhere then maybe consult a Solicitor.
Be patient and good luck.
ged

Post by ged »

Well today I received my letter from Nissan saying "The knocking you highlighted on your NISSAN QASHQAI has been identified as a characteristic of the vehicle and as such we are not able to provide a repair you may wish to refer to Motor Codes"a€¦a€¦..So Mr Nissana€¦.1, The 74 year old none driver lady who sits in the back says "whats that banging noise and why does the car shake when it happens"2, The 5 Independent garages say "their is a significant Fault"3, My own dealership admitted there is a fault but don't know how to fix it.4, Why has my request for a senior technician from Nissan been turned down.5, Why is the replacement gearbox gone faulty already.6, Why did this knocking and shake never happen before you changed the gearbox.7, Why is it me that makes all the phone calls, because every time you say you get back to me you don't..Ive been a loyal customer over the years always buying brand new cars and commercial vehicles of you to include, Murano, Navara pick up trucks, previous model Qashqai and this Qashqai. I've got 30 years experience as a qualified mechanical engineer and some of it in the motor industrya€¦Please don't take me for a muga€¦.I have always been calm, courteous and never demanded anything maybe its time to go legala€¦..
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

I would certainly say so and I've been accused of being in Nissans pocket - go for it!
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Luton Driver

Post by Luton Driver »

If it wasn't for this forum I would be ordering a Qashqai with an auto gearbox but now I won't touch any type of Nissan. What happened to their 3 year warranty? It seems that Nissan can just walk away from any CVT fault by claiming it is a characteristic of the car. Well actually they are correct. There are so many faulty gearboxes out there that it is a characteristic of the car but that does not mean they can just walk away from the problem. The Internet is a powerful tool and Nissan with their fault gearboxes and abysmal customer service are paying a price in future sales when people like me read forums like this.
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="Luton Driver"] If it wasn't for this forum I would be ordering a Qashqai with an auto gearbox but now I won't touch any type of Nissan.A  What happened to their 3 year warranty? It seems that Nissan can just walk away from any CVT fault by claiming it is a characteristic of the car.A  Well actually they are correct.A  There are so many faulty gearboxes out there that it is a characteristic of the car but that does not mean they can just walk away from the problem.

The Internet is a powerful tool and Nissan with their fault gearboxes and abysmal customer service are paying a price in future sales when people like me read forums like this.
[/QUOTE]

Obviously, I can't dispute that the internet is a powerful tool, for good and bad of course. It's hard to defend any company when they seemingly receive so much adverse comment on a product or as in this case the CVT. That said I remain convinced that I bought a very good car and I'm fairly sure that I'm in the majority of owners. In that sense it really is a pity should you base your decision on such as this thread.