1.5dci fuel economy problem

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

As previously posted I'm not at all happy with the car, can't get better than 40/42mpg out of it, even a 75 mile motorway trip in very little traffic with the cruise control set to 69mph only returned 46mpg one way and 42mpg the other.After speaking to Nissan customer services (waste of a phone call) and before I reject the car I popped into the dealers, salesman was puzzled as he'd just been to Blackpool (about 250 miles round trip) and hammered his 1.5 and still got 54mpg out of it. He agreed that there was a definite problem and along with the various other things, phone disconnections, loss of sound, excessive road noise (not mirrors) etc. they would have it in and give it a good going over as soon as possible.Went to book it in with service reception and they said the earliest they could look at it is ....................................... August 18th!!!. Not impressed to say the least
Goodbye Qashqai, Hello Ford Kuga, much quieter ride and a decent sound system :)

john w

Post by john w »

Forgive my ignorance but thought mobility had enabled yo to cancel your contract and you were getting different car why bother getting it booked in if its going back
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

Yes they have but I will keep the QQ until I can find a replacement for it.Unfortunately that isn't as easy as it sounds. Given that I'm over 6' 5" and have physical disabilities finding a car that I can fit into comfortably with an advance payment that I can afford (given that I just spent £700 for the QQ) severely limits the choice, so far I've only found 3 possibilities, none of which are ideal, Skoda Yeti, Seat Alteal XL and the Mitsubishi ASX. Out of the 3 the Yeti is probably the best fit and I'm having a test drive next week, however, the delivery time is 12/13 weeks as all Motability orders are new builds (so I was told by the Skoda dealer).So as I may have the QQ for at least the next 3 months it seemed sensible to get it looked at.If the advance payment wasn't a problem then I'd simply go for another Honda CRV but the cheapest is £1300 and the cheapest diesel version is £2000.

phaedra2014-07-26 00:46:13
Goodbye Qashqai, Hello Ford Kuga, much quieter ride and a decent sound system :)
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

8th Aug isn't *that* far away, just a day under 2 weeks.Are you reading this mpg score from the dash, or are you working it out from fill ups? If its the screen, then can you fill the tank to full and reset your trip counter to 0. Then drive it until empty, then re-fill it back up and make a note of the litres put back in. From there, you can then use that info to work out your MPG (its never fully actuate, but will give you a good ball park figure). It could be the software that controls the MPG read out is a bit funny. Also another point to make, if you only make "occasional" motorway trips and the rest is urban, this can drag down your average MPG score and it may never recover.
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

It's the 18th not the 8th. Just talked to my neighbour, his son has a Seat Leon Cupra from the same dealer (they sell Seat, Hyundai & Nissan), they told him 2 months to book in for the annual service!!.I've reset both sets of counters, trip and mpg, filled it up fully twice and measured it that way and got 41.3mpg and 42.1mpg. I do 3 or 4 local trips a week (under 10 miles round trip) but also a 50 mile A roads (60mph limit) trip as well, one of the local trips includes about 6 miles of dual carriageway with a 70 and then 50mph limit.

phaedra2014-07-26 09:01:02
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

aah sorry, blurry eyed this morning up to me neck in Cisco firewall config!
mrlazy

Post by mrlazy »

Fuelly is a good website to track your MPG. You can even search for other QQs to compare results

Www.fuelly.com

Make sure if you register you select imperial units and not US
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

Low fuel range warning was at 30 miles so put £20 worth in, range increased to 190 so 160 for £20 = 48mpg, not bad at all I thought. After a week of careful mixed A&B road driving the fuel range warning is now back to 30 miles and it's only managed 132 miles so that's 39.8mpg
phaedra2014-08-03 16:10:38
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

The range to fill up is based on the current mpg reading which updates every few minutes and as such will go up and down like a yo-yo. I think that the best you can do is to use it as a general indication. It works this way in every car I have owned.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="phaedra"]Low fuel range warning was at 30 miles so put £20 worth in, range increased to 190 so 160 for £20 = 48mpg, not bad at all I thought. After a week of careful mixed A&B road driving the fuel range warning is now back to 30 miles and it's only managed 132 miles so that's 39.8mpg
[/QUOTE] Hi Phaedra - do yourself a favour this really isn't going to help you. If you are serious about learning what the MPG is with you driving then as suggested use Fuelly faithfully to record your every trip to the garage and the mileage you do. That is the only way to get a half decent feel for the car and with you driving it. The odds on the car engine/MPG being really bad are quite small, especially compared to the way we drivers behave, personally I don't even bother, I'm really happy with an average of around 45mpg I know my limitations and whilst the car hardly tempts me to slide round corners it's not bad and can certainly motor when I want it to. Enjoy the QQ it's a good car.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.