stone chip question

Bodywork & Interior problems
wooders

Post by wooders »

[quote="nsign7"]I'm now unfortunately in the same position. Have a nice 1cm vertical scratch on the rear nearside door thanks to an inconsiderate idiot who seems to have opened their door onto mine. What is worse is it has penetrated to the primer!!Any suggestions on DIY scratch removal products or should i consider the respray. Will also take the car to a recommended bodyshop for a 2nd opinion... [/QUOTE]
I was the original thread starter and I got my touch up paint from the dealer and attempted it myself using a cocktail stick .It is far from perfect but to be honest it looks better than it was and now I have forgot about .Don't let it bother you to much ,I only ever notice mine when I wash it but soon forget about it .
-2014 Qashqai 1.5 dci Tekna   -   

supergrover

Post by supergrover »

https://app.box.com/s/n8qhtj0zdqhaf9u914ov amusingly inappropriate Google advert!
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
nsign7

Post by nsign7 »

Yeah, I don't think I'll go down the respray path just yet and will try the diy touch up. I don't actually notice it walking past so hopefully once it's touched in I'll just ignore it.

Going to practise on my 15 yr old silver BM. It has a scratch that ive been meaning to touch up for the last 5 yrs..
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

let us know if you decide to use extra fine wet and dry, and how it ends up.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
nsign7

Post by nsign7 »

Will do Gel.

Wooders, following the clear coat did you use a polishing compound to blend in the paint or simply leave the clear coat as is?
hendyl

Post by hendyl »

Try looking here- http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/chip ... ystem.aspx not sure what it's like never used it? Video makes it look good
wooders

Post by wooders »

[quote="nsign7"]Wooders, following the clear coat did you use a polishing compound to blend in the paint or simply leave the clear coat as is? [/QUOTE]
I left it as it was after applying the clear coat .I just polished it with autoglym super resin polish which will do nothing for blending in . Not brave enough to wet sand either though probably needed it .
-2014 Qashqai 1.5 dci Tekna   -   
nsign7

Post by nsign7 »

Update: so a friend of a friend owns a bodyshop and has suggested doing a touch up with the Nissan paint pen. He also offered to do it for free... result!
I'll post some before and after pics when repaired.
nsign7

Post by nsign7 »

For anyone still interested, it's taken me a bit of time to get the scratch sorted but finally managed it today.
The process involved getting the touch up kit from Nissan and then getting a bodyshop guy to touch up.

The process was as follows:

Cleaned with t-cut original.
Applied a couple of layers of the base coat (with drying time in between) using a small artists brush (not the brush with the kit)
Accelerate paint curing with a heat gun
Apply a coat of clear coat.
At this point he wasn't happy with the texture of the clear.
T-cut it all off and start again......
2 base coats
1clear coat which he mixed up himself, not using the one from the kit.
Leave to cure for a few days
Now to level and polish:
Clean area to remove any dirt.
wet sand to level.
At this point he went away and came back with a razor blade and proceeded to shave of the blob to level.
Wet sand to level
cutting compound to blend
finally polish repaired area..........

He said right from the outset it would never be perfect but the aim is to disguise as much as possible.
Pretty happy with the result and much better than I could have done myself.

Here are some pre and post pics. The scratch can be seen close up but not at all when a few feet away... and can't be felt at all.

Pre-
1.jpg

Pre-2.jpg

Pre-3.jpg

Post..

Post-1.jpg

Post-2.jpg

Post-3.jpg
phmilesc

Post by phmilesc »

I'm deciding which route to go down for a scratch repair. I picked up circa 4cm x 2cm wide scrape on a passanger door from some careless <insert expletive here> at the weekend. How my family used to mock me as I parked away from other vehicles, and for good reason. But its not done me any good this time. And I was saving up to get the Alloys fixed.
Gone but not forgotton- Nissan QQ Tekna 2016 Gun metal +FS Spare - Hood Protector.