stone chip question

Bodywork & Interior problems
nsign7

Post by nsign7 »

I'm now unfortunately in the same position. Have a nice 1cm vertical scratch on the rear nearside door thanks to an inconsiderate idiot who seems to have opened their door onto mine. What is worse is it has penetrated to the primer!!

I called out Chipsaway who have quoted £120 but would end up spraying1/3rd of the door. He actually suggested touching it up as it's so small and would rather not over spray on factory paint.

Any suggestions on DIY scratch removal products or should i consider the respray. Will also take the car to a recommended bodyshop for a 2nd opinion...

jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Don't go down the route of spraying a third of the door, we once had a light blue VW Beetle that had a chip and was sprayed by these guys it always looked a different colour and we ended up having a professional spray job done. Attempting it yourself will be better, not perfect but will end up more acceptable
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gel, that is great Information but that is for Scratch Removal and nsign7 is talking of a Scratch but down to the Primer. As Jon suggested have a go at it yourself get some OEM Touch Up Paint (if it is Metallic you need the Clear Coat also) or ask a Professional Spray Shop but it will cost or leave as is - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

When I got my car Nissan said there was no Storm White touch up available so I sourced a kit as follows: Hi Jon,The paint code is QAB for Storm White Your colour is a 3 stage application which means you will need two individual pots of colour followed by the clear coat lacquer.There is a base white, then the pearl coat and lastly the clear.If you order Kit 3 we will send all 3 items required.Hope this helps?Kind regards,Rob ParkerRefinish Systems Ltde: sales@refinishsystems.comw: www.refinishsystems.comw: www.cartouchupkits.co.ukt: 01935 433127
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Jon, that is good information I must admit I never thought about the Pearl Effect in the paint. Out of interest I will have to follow this up. This Forum is getting more and more interesting on a daily basis with related problems, but the facts and data that are coming back are very worthwhile ?Y™? - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

So here we go just some more info' on the paint "Pearlescent White QAB" and please note two of these webs are from the US and the color seems to be used generally on Nissans & Infinitis, perhaps some deeper investigations need to be made on if the color has variations.

The other is a "Touch Up" # KE998QAB25CC from Glyn Hopkins again possibly a general color - Dave

http://glynhopkinpartsonline.co.uk/prod ... 998QAB25CC

http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Touch-Pain ... B00BGDJNLW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-OEM-Touc ... 1126324184
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Thanks for added info Dave. The problem with just two paints is you do not get a correct finish. Nissan actually spray a white base coat, then the pearl effect, followed by the clear gloss. I had a chip on the front of my bonnet. Put the base on, left until following morning added the pearl, then next day the clear. I touched up the paint using a pointed wooden tooth pick which put on a tiny amount at a time. When completely dry it stood proud but rubbing with T-Cut levelled it out and the chip is totally impossible to see.Like most things regarding bodywork, you need very little paint, the coats must harden off completely and it cannot be done in a few hours.By the way the kit from www.refinishsystems.com is expensive at £19.99 but you get a lot of paint that matches perfectly and professional micro fibre rubbing cloths.
nsign7

Post by nsign7 »

Thanks for all the info gents.
I'm inclined to agree with the Diy spot repair approach. It will touch less of the original paintwork and I could probably live with the finished result.

My colour is Magnetic Red so will need the paint and clearcoat. As the scratch is only a few mm wide I think the cocktail stick approach may work best.

There are also a couple of products which I may consider along with the touch up pen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00519N ... ot_redir=1

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... epair-kits

Both require some rubbing with an abrasive which is my only concern. Jon's method with the T cut maybe the safe option.

As always, some great information so appreciate the responses.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

video may be of interest= http://cartouchuppaints.co.uk/ I've used these people for on site repairs to a coy car + wife's Jag;they'll do work that smart repair companies won't handle ie scratches inmiddle of a panel. http://www.autorestore.co.uk/
Gel2014-07-30 22:35:37
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D