Anyone converted the orange ball in dashboard?

Bodywork & Interior problems
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

I have read on another forum that it's possible to convert the black text on orange to orange text on black, thus removing the glaring orange ball at night. Turning the dial brightness doesn't help, so this seems an interesting idea.

Lifted from the QashqaiClub,Co.Uk website, upon which I am not deemed fit to post it seems.
- Taking out the combination meter unit is not difficult. Info can be found in the ESM.
- The (square) LCD inside the combination meter can be taken off of the pcb. It is not soldered in.
To reach it you will have to take off the front (easy) and remove the needles of both the gauges (quite hard as they are plastic, brittle and a tight fit).
After removing the dial front you can take out the LCD. Be careful not to bend or break off any pins.
- Peel off the polarizing film of the glass surface (hard as there is a risk of breaking the glass).
- Clean the glass surface and remove any adhesive residue using isopropyl alcohol.
- Put on a new piece of polarizing film. Compared to the old piece you need to rotate it by 90 degrees to make the LCD appear dark.
- Assemble everything. Be careful with the gauge needles and their alignment.
Now you should have a nice orange on black LCD.

A piece of polarizing film is available from several sellers on eBay.

Anyone done this? I bought a piece of polarizing film off ebay, but just placing it against the dash for test purposes does nothing. It goes dark as I rotate it through about 45 degrees, but completely darlk, no numbers showing. It looks like the dash needs to be dismantled in order to remove the existing film over the LCD, but it says to place it at 90 degrees to the original. How do you tell what is 90 degrees? It depends on how the film was cut at the factory. There are no lines or pattern in the film that I can see.

I'm 'happy' to dismantle the dash, but not for nothing. Any intrepid Qashqqai owners out there that have done it already?
2008 Qashqai Acenta 2L Petrol Manual

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I dont have any problem at all with the brightness from the instrument panel.
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

OK, thanks for that but that's not what I was asking. I do have an issue with it and so it seems do many others.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Is it possible you have a faulty dimmer switch, as when mines right down you can barely notice the instrument panel at all.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Do a dry run as you have already and turn the new film round until all the light is blocked out, then mark the film vertically, or top and bottom. Then remove the old film, replacing with the new ensuring you utilise the top/bottom marks you have made on it. Reassemble and that should do it if tye instructions from the other website are actually correct.
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

Maybe. Reading the 'instructions' again, it says to remove the old LCD film, so it seems that the old LCD film is a polarizing film in itself. Therefore by me placing additional film over it, the effect is cancelled out. I will have to dismantle it all just to check.
I may just look for a second hand 2009+ unit as that's when Nissan reversed the colours.
Maybe even a 2010 facelift one would fit, they look very similar, but the pinouts are probably different.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I've not had a J10 so haven't seen this issue, but I do have a Honda ST1300 with a similar problem - black on orange is too bright at night and hard to see in sunlight. I recall a few being reversed, though they looked like white on blue.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

Not the best design feature is it? Then again, lots of 'features' on the Qashqai aren't the best. I have a Mk1 with decent spec. but the Qashqai really has that 'build it on the cheap and see how it sells' feel about it. More than a whiff of Renault about it. The facelift was clearly the the result of ironing out some wrinkles once Nissan realised it was selling well.
I'm starting to go into moan mode so going now...;)