Ticking sound driver door/dash area

Bodywork & Interior problems
Deleted User 4727

Post by Deleted User 4727 »

Hi, long time lurker and first time poster!

I have a 2015 Nissan Qashqai Ti (Bought in Australia). Absolutely love the car! I have been babying it ever since taking possession of it from the dealer back in March 2016 :D

However for the last few months it has developed a very annoying ticking sound inside the cabin. This ticking sound is very intermittent and occurs occasionally when driving on smooth but uneven surfaces, if that makes sense. From my observations it appears to be coming from the drivers side door or drivers side dash area (RHD). This sound can occasionally also be heard as a single tick sound when commencing accelerating from a stop, and also a single tick sound just before coming to a complete stop after driving. Weather and temperature does not appear to make any difference.

I've been to 2 separate Nissan dealers numerous times with no luck. They have removed the door plate and used foam on possible culprit areas which unfortunately did not fix it.

I've read every forum post related to Qashqai rattles on this site along with others and attempted most of the tips suggested to no avail. I even took the door plate off myself several times and went nuts with dampening foam in every conceivable area that could be making this sound - all this with no luck :cry:

As suggested in other threads, I've checked the driver seat, exterior door trim, exhaust heat shield, cables underneath the steering wheel along with various other areas with no luck.

I found a YouTube video someone uploaded that sounds somewhat similar to the one I'm experiencing.

https://youtu.be/v6u3Eo48tb8

I've spent many hours going over the car with a fine tooth comb to find this elusive sound. So frustrating!!

Just wondering if anyone here has experienced similar? And if so, how did you resolve it? Would love to get a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Regards Bisco

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

My QQ makes that exact sound from the left had door area. It only makes the sound when the car has warmed up & if the car is on a bumpy road. Pushing quite hard against the door trim / handle stops the rattle.

I hate rattles, but this is so insignificant, it can wait until the car needs its anual service.
Deleted User 4727

Thanks for your replies. :)

Daewar if after your annual service the noise is resolved, can you kindly update this thread with the outcome?

Cheers heaps
Pug_Stalker

Post by Pug_Stalker »

I have had the car in about 3 times now for rattles from drivers and passengers front doors. The dealer has put foam in both doors to try and stop the noise.

I have told the dealer that when its rattling if i use the window buttons and push up even though they are already up the rattle does stop.
Was under the impression if something is loose you would tighten it, or maybe worst case replace it. Not just try to pad the noise out with
foam.

Going to be booking it back in and hope to get a beter result soon as when doing long trips its a constant noise that even having music on cant out
do it.

Rant over*
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Will do, but its a few months off yet
Bisco wrote:Thanks for your replies. :)

Daewar if after your annual service the noise is resolved, can you kindly update this thread with the outcome?

Cheers heaps
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Most likely just the window glass moving fractionally against its housing. It only needs to be a fraction of a millimetre to make what could be heard as a clicking sound. You'll find that the noise will differ when the window is completely down.
Deleted User 4727

gvmdaddy wrote:Most likely just the window glass moving fractionally against its housing. It only needs to be a fraction of a millimetre to make what could be heard as a clicking sound. You'll find that the noise will differ when the window is completely down.
Hi gvmdaddy

Thanks for your suggestion :)

I unfortunately can still hear the same sound when the window is down.

I however upon reading your advice, did a bit of tinkering with the glass to see if there was any movement or if I was able to replicate the sound. No luck :(

I again had my local Nissan dealer try and diagnose this sound last Monday during my 10000km service, but again no resolution. The feeling I got from the dealer was that it was in the too hard basket for them to fix it. I was told that "hopefully it should go away over time". Pretty disappointing.

I have written an email to Nissan Australia regarding my issue, but still awaiting their reply.

So frustrating not be able to solve this mystery! Lol

Regards Bisco
Deleted User 4727

Hi all

Just an update...

I ended up going back to my dealer after speaking with Nissan Australia. It appears Nissan Australia lit a a very big fire cracker under the backside of the dealer as they went above and beyond on this occasion.

It took the dealer 2 days but it appears they have fixed it!

From my understanding, it appears that it was being caused by a joint in the chassis frame work underneath the drivers door seal. See attached photo.

IMG_0234.JPG

Great work by the tech! He stated that this issue and subsequent fix has been forwarded to Nissan Australia/international for future troubleshooting of similar issues.

So good to be driving a tick free car once again! Brings great pleasure to be driving my QQ.

Thanks again to all those that replied with advice and suggestions :)

Cheers Bisco
Gray

Post by Gray »

Greetings from Gothenburg, Sweden!

First time poster here as well, with exactly the same problem in my 2016 1,5d.
Local dealer (Hedin, Mölndal) couldn't even hear it on a test drive so didn't even bother to try some extra fault-finding. The You-Tube video is spot-on - good to have!
Do you have any more detailed info about the root-cause and the fix? I would much rather fix it myself.
Your pic shows the interior. Was it body panel joints under the mat/door seal on the inside of the compartment (arrowed)?
You wrote "Chassis Framework"which sounds like it's on the outside/underneath. Would greatly appreciate more detail if possible (before I go mad, elbowing my door panels ;) ).

//Graham