Dreaded QAB and Chipex

Bodywork & Interior problems
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

So i thought i may as well record my experience with the chipex paint repair system, after all it may help others.

The process is pretty easy, patience is required which is something I lack, and being a perfectionist i wanted the repair to be as factory and never exist. So I bought the "road rash" option at chipex which ended up being around £50 ash with postage as it has a 4 year shelf life and figured i would need it again at some point. heres what you get in the pack:

IMG_3346.jpg

Now then, I didn't read ALL of the instructions to my detriment, and stupidly thought there was 2 bottles of paint (they obviously look different) :), in fact there is the base coat and the pearl clear coat. So with a lack of common sense and eagerness, i prepped the area and went straight to town with the pearl coat lol. the mistake was realised and its easily removed with the blending solution.

So heres the culprit to which needed a fix:

IMG_3345.jpg

As you can see it goes right to the metal. I then touched in the base coat:

IMG_3348.jpg

after you put the paint on, in this case leaving it proud, its left to dry for as little as 15 minutes and then wiped back using the blending solution with the supplied j-cloth and foam block to even it out.

I applied several coats to build up the paint layers.

The result was this:

IMG_3353.jpg

Once the base is where you want it, you need to let it harden between 2 hours and overnight before applying the pearl coat. I left mine about 3 hours and then left that dry until the morning when i took it back with the blending solution. I added 2 coats of pearl.

The last step is polishing, using the polish and cloth supplied:

IMG_3365.jpg

So thats the final result, and to be fair It was my first time using this system and unless you REALLY look for it, you just can't see where the chip is. I used a magnifying glass to check the amount of pearl over the chip to make sure its even. What I did notice is that because i wanted perfection, i kept blending out and re-applying which used up most of the supplied brushes.

I definitely recommend this product.

Craig
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Thanks for that; looking good. Personally if I see bare metal after chip I'd always apply a primer asap. Re the brushes you can get some next Thursday at a well known German discounter!
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... 36283&ar=2
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

ah I don't think I would use them, it would be like throwing one away with every coat :)

What they actually use are eyelash brushes, and they are even cheaper :

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100pcs-p ... d5286b89d0

ill be buying a couple of packs of those :)
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector
Charlie Miller

Post by Charlie Miller »

Seperb job Craig. Thanks for taking the time to catalogue the repair and posting.
2016 N-Connecta 1.6 dci Xtronic: Pano Roof/Rails: Heat Pack: Black Alloygators: Gun Metal.
jstallan

Post by jstallan »

Nice work!!
2014 (64) QashQai 1.5 dci Tekna in Blade Silver
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

That looks like sterling work. Congratulations!
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

Nice job and good review of product
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof