2 week old qashqai stone chip??!

Bodywork & Interior problems
Showoffqashqaiguy

Post by Showoffqashqaiguy »

Got a 16 plate qashqai. I've done a thousand miles most of which are motor work related as I work 100 miles away X 4 days a week.
Anyway was washing the car today and noticed a stone chip. It's quite small but I'm a bit peed off about it. It seems to have gone through the paint but isn't deep. For a brand new car shouldn't the paint work protect me from this? As far as am aware I've stayed away from stone roads and anywhere like that and I drive pretty safe (I even have a dashcam.) . I read online this has happened to a few people with new cars and they claimed on the manufacturer paint warranty? Has anyone. Had this issue with a new qashqai? I am not diy at all so I jw what the best option is here

Showoffqashqaiguy

Pic attached

image.jpeg

Showoffqashqaiguy

Second pic

image.jpeg

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

If as you mentioned it is a stone chip IMHO I do not think you will get this covered under the Nissan Paint Guarantee. Several members have mentioned about paint quality for example thickness but chips will be down to "Wear & Tear" - Rust or Paint Defects is another subject. If you are not a DIY guy I would suggest contacting the mobile paint guys here "The Lack Doktor" (Paint Doctor) I was recently at one for a similiar sized chip and was quoted €100 and they are normally cheaper than a Paint Shop, but the quality is good - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

These chip companies can often be found in Halfords car parks at weekends. Paints are water based these days, so not as tough IMO. I took out scratch insurance soon after I bought car from same company that provided me GAP cover.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Showoffqashqaiguy

Hi everyone thanks for the help and comments. It sucks because I've been so careful with the car even avoided country road..stone roads etc..just don't understand how it happens...is it just one of those things? i guess so.. I've never had stone chips in any vehicles and I've been driving since 2007..my old car a 02 reg nissan primera never got any. It seems ridiculous that a new 2016 reg car's paint is weaker imo than a bloody 02 reg or 05 plate (i had one) ?!
My friend who is a mechanic (not bodywork though) told me to get t cut light red fast colour and try and polish the stone chip out after cleaning the area..it helped slightly as its made the stone chip smaller..but I suppose I need to get it treated ASAP before it gets worse.
I have emailed Nissan Customer Service so will see what they say...:(..I did try and cover myself as much as I could- I have full cover on my insurance with all extras exc breakdown which I have with RAC (i got all cover except breakdown..don't think theres a scratch in it but will check but would want to avoid claiming on ins anyway) and my excess is £80...I also took out gap insurance with ALA...but I was 50/50 at the time about scratch insurance which I saw for £150 as I note alot of them limit claims 2-3 per year...but am thinking about reviewing that decision tbh if every stone chip will cost me £100 every time!..right now the chip is smaller than a 1p in size and depth..moving forward i've seen there is stone chip protection sprays..are they any good?
Cheapest scratch insurance ive found is £143 for 2 years..3 claims per annum allowed...dunno if thats any good £10 excess
switchback

Post by switchback »

I've never had a car in the last 30 years that hasn't picked-up a stone chip at some time, it's just one of those things even though, like you I'm careful. It depends on how big the stone was as well. Same with windscreens, sometimes you get a little chip but with a big stone you get a much bigger one. I got a small dent in my Mazda bonnet from a pheasant strike bit didn't blame the manufacturer.

You can get a clear plastic protection film fitted to the leading edge of the bonnet to protect from small stone strikes. And I think I've seen somewhere on here a plastic guard of some sort as well.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Showoffqashqaiguy wrote:Hi everyone thanks for the help and comments. It sucks because I've been so careful with the car even avoided country road..stone roads etc..just don't understand how it happens...is it just one of those things? i guess so.. I've never had stone chips in any vehicles and I've been driving since 2007..my old car a 02 reg nissan primera never got any. It seems ridiculous that a new 2016 reg car's paint is weaker imo than a bloody 02 reg or 05 plate (i had one) ?!
My friend who is a mechanic (not bodywork though) told me to get t cut light red fast colour and try and polish the stone chip out after cleaning the area..it helped slightly as its made the stone chip smaller..but I suppose I need to get it treated ASAP before it gets worse.
I have emailed Nissan Customer Service so will see what they say...:(..I did try and cover myself as much as I could- I have full cover on my insurance with all extras exc breakdown which I have with RAC (i got all cover except breakdown..don't think theres a scratch in it but will check but would want to avoid claiming on ins anyway) and my excess is £80...I also took out gap insurance with ALA...but I was 50/50 at the time about scratch insurance which I saw for £150 as I note alot of them limit claims 2-3 per year...but am thinking about reviewing that decision tbh if every stone chip will cost me £100 every time!..right now the chip is smaller than a 1p in size and depth..moving forward i've seen there is stone chip protection sprays..are they any good?
Cheapest scratch insurance ive found is £143 for 2 years..3 claims per annum allowed...dunno if thats any good £10 excess
If you have the ALA GAP Insurance they'll offer 10/20% off their premium; here's my cost.

ins.jpg

Last edited by Gel on Sun May 08, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Showoffqashqaiguy

I'm not blaming the manufacturer, just a bit puzzled by why the new paint is so thin and they think this is ok...like i said never had any on other cars..but suppose like you say its one of those things.

Yeah i saw ALA i found it cheaper with a 20% off code..but might see if they will price match and beat by 20%
omegadeep

Post by omegadeep »

Water based paints are good for the environment, but not so good on durability. The art of repairing a chip like this is that you have to raise the level of new paint to just above the level of the existing paint, then sand down using the very finest sanding method using a little rubbing alcohol, including a little of the surrounding area. Treat as several points of damage rather than one, then once they old and new merge polish up I'm sure there are people around who can tell you how its done exactly since I've only ever had to do it oncel The general rule as I recall is that it you can catch your fingernail on the edge of the damage , it's too deep to polish out.
A car is just a set of four wheels and four seats to enable one to travel from a to b. all other perceptions are individual illusions of the thought process.