Windshield chip/speck

Bodywork & Interior problems
AceMan

Post by AceMan »

Hi, first time poster

Got a stone chip a little bigger than a speck of dirt on the windshield because some mullet overtook me when he didn't have to (newer car, probably scared of chips himself). I just got over a family member opening and damaging the door edge on a concrete wall and now this.

Anything I can do to fix it or at least make it less noticeable? Maybe it's not that noticeable but it's on the drivers side and I can see it and it bothers me because we've only had the car for 3 months. And the frustrating thing is I didn't even need to be out driving, I was just bored.

Cheers

Danny

Post by Danny »

There's a chip repair kit available from Amazon by a company called laser. It's only £13 and is one of the easier repair kits to use. Like the rest it just uses a simple resin to set into the chip reducing its appearance. The kit it self though is better thought out than others as it uses suckers rather than stickers and the plunger than creates the pressure is a screw in one meaning you don't have to stand over it for ages applying the pressure yourself or checking that it's not slowly loosing pressure.

As always read the reviews to make an informed choice, there are many different kits available ranging from £6 - £20 but still cheaper than getting the screen replaced!
2016 - 1.2 Xtronic - N-tec + - Blade Silver
Deleted User 2899

Post by Deleted User 2899 »

Doesn't your insurance cover you for FREE repairs ?

Most of them do for bullet hole types so its worth checking.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Aceman, as Danny mentioned if you want to give the repair ago yourself there are Kits out there. But as Langstrom mentioned surely the Insurance Co. is the first contact or just ask a Screen Installation Co. Over here they normally state "FOC" whether that is correct I am not so sure, but it is a professional repair - Dave ;)

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Danny

Post by Danny »

Lanstrom wrote:Doesn't your insurance cover you for FREE repairs ?

Most of them do for bullet hole types so its worth checking.
Worth looking into. Also sometimes in supermarket car parks theres a tent offering free repairs. Not used them before only seen them around. Let us know which you go for and how you get on!
AceMan

Post by AceMan »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Didn't opt for the deductible free windshield replacement/repair option when getting insurance so I don't think it would be free.

Anyway according to this site - http://www.crackmedic.net/chip-repair-guide/ - such small nicks shouldn't be repaired.

I'll get an opinion from a screen installation place next time I go into town and try one of the DIY kits depending on what they say.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I'm not sure, I would have thought that if you don't repair the chip, you run the risk of the chip turning in to a crack. Especially during winter, as water will expand within the chip, which is already a weak zone within the windscreen. I'm not a windscreen expert but that is the view I've taken, hence why I'm repairing my screen with the kit. I had a quick read of the website and they're just trying to scare you by inferring that competitors don't do as good a job as they do and that could 'ruin' your windscreen. In the scheme of things, as long as the chip is less visible than before, then surely thats a good thing and well worth the £9-£15 spent, compared to the cost of replacing the screen? (which will always be your fall back should you need to)
ynysygwas

Post by ynysygwas »

Worth checking your insurance policy. Mine provides completely free windscreen repair (Aviva) withoit affecting no claims. I believe most of them do this. Certainly cheaper for the insurers to pay a few squid for a small repair than hundreds to replace it.
A Tekna, because I admit I need all the help I can get.
AceMan

Post by AceMan »

Danny wrote:I'm not sure, I would have thought that if you don't repair the chip, you run the risk of the chip turning in to a crack.
Yeah that was my initial thought too.
Danny wrote: I had a quick read of the website and they're just trying to scare you by inferring that competitors don't do as good a job as they do and that could 'ruin' your windscreen
I'm talking about the specific paragraph under the heading "Smaller damage can spread too, but certain damage won’t". That doesn't sound to me like they're trying to persuade me to use their services/products. I've looked at other forum posts and people mention "nicks too small to repair" which is how I came across the above website.
Danny wrote:In the scheme of things, as long as the chip is less visible than before, then surely thats a good thing and well worth the £9-£15 spent, compared to the cost of replacing the screen?
I agree. I'll get a professional's opinion today and will definitely try the DIY kit if they think it will help.

Will update