Cracked Glass roof

Bodywork & Interior problems
ragna

Post by ragna »

Just found today that a crack has appeared in the glass roof on my Accenta Premium its much more noticeable from inside,from outside this is hardly noticeable almost a dirty mark but you can feel it with your finger but you cant feel it from inside so the glass must be double skinned its about 2 feet long.This was pointed out by friends sitting in the rear of the car and appears to be a stress fracture as there is no impact mark or chip from anything falling on it.Has anybody else had this happen to them and if so did Nissan fix this under warranty.Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank Graham
2014 QQ 1.2 Accenta Premium, Storm White

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Graham, presumably this is a new J11 QQ ?. If I were you I would not hang around asking on the Forum for advice I would be on the doorstep of your Dealer and make a written request to NCS to cover yourself. I have always found here that this System works for me. But there was a Topic on here also with regard to Insurance Cover on the Roof so perhaps you could read the "Search" area - Best of Luck Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
ragna

Post by ragna »

Thanks Dave will take car to my dealers on Monday .see what they say.Yes its 64 reg/ October 2014.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Richard, just so you can be prepared take a look at some comments from a Kia Customer in relation to their Roof and the Guarantee - Interesting Comments ! I hope this helps you - Dave

The couple have been left dismayed that Kia, the South Korean car
manufacturer, will not cover cost of repairing the roof, despite its much heralded
seven year warranty
They had been reassured by the high-profile long warranty offered by the
manufacturer, a major selling point in its advertising campaigns. But on
pursuing a claim to get the roof fixed they were dismayed to find the warranty
on the glass roof only lasts three months.
"The warranty seems to be a marketing strategy. I have been a Hyundai/Kia owner
for a long time so have no grudge to bear, but I feel this is a serious safety
issue which Kia are refusing to acknowledge.

"By refusing to fix it under warranty, all the people who have this issue
have to attempt to claim under glass insurance. Therefore, there is no
traceability to the quantity of issues. I know I am not an isolated case and
I'm not sure if these panoramic roofs are fit for purpose.'http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars ... rship.html

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Some insurances see the glass panoramic roof as a "body panel" rather than glass and falls under a generally higher excess, and can loose your NCB. However there are a number that do cover it as glass and cover it under their glass policy which is usually less excess and does not effect NCD. Glass warranty will be difficult because of the fragile nature, but most windscreen and pano glass are or stronger construction and can take a lot of punishment before becoming an issue. Hope you get this sorted, and if you could keep this thread updated it would be appreciated.
ragna

Post by ragna »

Taking it to the dealers this afternoon for the service manger to inspect.
ragna

Post by ragna »

Dave and SplanK Took car to dealers on Friday for roof to be inspected by the Manager and the Work shops manager. After much discussion they are of the opinion that this 2 foot crack was initially caused by a stone or similar landing on the glass roof, causing an extremely minute chip. They took photographs of what they considered to be the impact point. They have sent a report to Nissan including magnified photos of the impact point, including a recommendation of their opinion of the cause. I understand that Nissan will reply to this report in the next few days. It does seem to me to be a coincidence that this was noticed on the day following the hottest July day on record!
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

hhmm, if it was a fault with the glass and was common, then I suspect we would have seen a number of people on here complain as well, but like the 1.6DCI CVT gearbox issue, so far, there have been no floods of people. Saying that, if it was badly fitted or such an extreme circumstances to repeat the issue... I would be interested in a photo of the crack, and what they suspect is the 'start' of the crack (the chip). It could well that this is the case, a small chip + extreme heat = fracture of the glass and that its just unlucky. If I were you, I would be reviewing your insurance in a view to making a claim and hopefully you are with an insurance co who treat it as glass rather than a body panel. Nissan are not the easiest to convince of a warranty fault but fingers crossed!
ragna

Post by ragna »

Update after looking at photos sent by dealer to Nissan there reply was that this was a stone chip or something similar and not a stress problem had to go through my insurance companies glass insurance £75 no loss of no claim bonus.Fitted by National Windscreens it took 4 hours including the curing of the sealant.So a fairly good result in the end just done a quick water test and all seem ok
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Graham, it looks like in the end you have come out of this Problem very well financially and pleased with the Installation. So your worries are gone and it is back to enjoying the QQ. I am glad it ended well for you - Dave