Roof Rail marks puzzling

Bodywork & Interior problems
Pumpkin_Heed

Post by Pumpkin_Heed »

Do you guys think it would have anything to do with the plastic expanding and contracting with the temperature thus cracking the paint? suppose you could see something like this if the parts where not primed/keyed correctly or the wrong plastics for the job perhaps?
2015 Qashqai N-Tec+ 1.5dci Ink Blue

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I was in the Plastic Molding game all of my working life but producing small toleranced parts for Razor Products. The more I look at the pics the more it looks like the Dipping or Sprayed Color is not adhering to the part properly. I would have thought that the surface finish of the Mold would be smooth or polished, but under the paint you can see the marks which could be caused by steel corrosion from the plastic gases or they are covered by the paint thickness until it wears thinner, as these are not consistent, lines, scratches, pop marks. The last picture from Steve shows like bubbled lumps on the edge which could be caused by gas erosion (a shaped hole can be produced) therefore extra plastic is produced (or is it rain globules), caused by bad maintenance or Lack of in press mold cleaning. But again why did we not notice this defect sooner, is it an age or wear and tear problem ?

Pumpkin_Heed, I would have thought that Nissan must have had experience producing this part before for the older J10 QQ or X-Trail Models or were they made from Steel ?, it makes you wonder if this is an older problem not seen before and we are a little more attentive to our QQ's. As you mentioned is it or could it be a Priming or Keying problem ?
These are only my asumptions for discussion and I could well be wrong - Dave ?Y?«
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Looked at mine this morning, just one near side rear is showing what looks like loads of pinpricks all over the top surface. I think it is the start of it getting worse. The three others so far look ok
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Mackembaz1

Post by Mackembaz1 »

My front nearside is in a pretty poor state for an 11 month old car. And another end cap looks slightly pitted, though not as bad as the front. The car is booked in for its 1st service then. I will get them to email a photo to Nissan, awaiting parts replacement.
Baz
2014 Tekna 1.5 dci Nightshade
QQ No. 5
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

[quote="Pumpkin_Heed"]
Do you guys think it would have anything to do with the plastic expanding and contracting with the temperature thus cracking the paint? suppose you could see something like this if the parts where not primed/keyed correctly or the wrong plastics for the job perhaps?[/QUOTE]
My previous Yeti Elegance had silver roof rails and like the QQ plastic end caps, there was no sign of marking when I traded it in, although it was only 15 months old
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Steve, my question was does anybody know the system of giving feedback to Nissan so that they can assess the Manufacturing Fault and correct it. I am pretty sure the Dealers just order new parts and install them to keep the Customer Happy ! but do not submit documentation on the reason. If you contact NCS (phone or email) you then become a No. and are passed onto the Dealer. Many owners also "Live with the fault" or try to correct it themselves and do not contact the Dealer.
Product related faults are to me all part of the developement and improvement of an existing product and that is the point I am trying to make - Feedback how do we do it ? - this is not a complaint I am just interested in finding out the System - Thanks Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
duncho

Post by duncho »

Hi Dave, you did it the best way to inform NCS. On the other hand you can contact dealer directly as they will not only order the part but send a photo evidence to Nissan warranty department for approval to get it covered under the warranty. Such, Nissan has the information which they may consider to pass to a part supplier if they are responsible. If dealer does not send the photo evidence to Nissan, then is on dealer expense which I do not believe they want to cover and cut thus their revenues.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Dan, this is exactly the procedure I discussed yesterday with the Dealer, but what happens to this Information, is it used for example by Nissan to correct the Problem or does it go in a Big hole. This System will only work when the customers take their faults up with Dealer, a lot do not even bother - Dave
duncho

Post by duncho »

Dave, hard to say what Nissan does with this information. I'd say if the issue is material, they enforce supplier to cover the cost and address the issue. Of course if car owners don't report this or they accept whatever the issue is, then the manufacturer does not receive a feedback unless it is spoted and reported by proactive dealer. Mine wasn't noticed by the dealer and I would be surprised if it was.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Putting in public domain: Tweeting NissanUK with a pic and brief details always helps get their attention
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D