Exposed lower radiator...

Bodywork & Interior problems
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Recent update
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

th0mpson, that is an interesting find. It does look like Nissan have added a Plastic Grill Cover over the lower exposed Radiator / Cooler Area. It looks similiar to the U.S. Rogue I saw (see previous pic) that had diagonal webs whereas the QQ has vertical / horizontal webs - Good Info' Thanks Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Well it looks like I have to throw another spanner in the works !. When we were deciding what "Extras" to stick on the QQ I was taking lots of photos and here is what I have found today :
It looks like this Grill protection is not new as the first pic below is from 04.14. what I am not sure of is if this is a Diesel Model as we have the 1,2 Petrol. Can anybody confirm this finding please - Thanks Dave

Pic from 04.14 with Grill Protection :

Our 1,2 Petrol in 08.14 without Grill Protection :
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Dave my 1.5dci (April) is same as your image; strange if petrol weren't same?
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

I have been thinking (not often) about this point all day, the reason being I can remember in April asking our Sales Guy about this Grill situation. Now I can remember what he confirmed it was :
Active Grill Shutter System which he stated was an Intelligent Technology System that maximises the QQ's aerodynamic efficiencies by closing off the airflow through the radiator when not needed. The Grill Shutter automatically shuts at speeds over 30Kph and only opens if sensors detect that the engine needs cooling. The system would be fitted in Diesel engined models with manual gearboxes. Should be interesting for you Diesel Guys to find out if this in fact is correct ? - Dave
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

What Dave said. I picked up on this earlier in the year. The reason why its not fitted to petrol engines is because they run hotter. Auto gearboxes also run hotter than manuals so need the extra cooling. I think its mostly to aid in getting the engine up to temp as quick as poss to remain at peak efficiency for longer!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Cant see any reference to it on Nissan UK sites, neither can I see it on my car. Only mention I can find of it is on Nissan US site, and not even on the QQ equivalent. Ive not looked properly as its dark and raining. Next chance I get will be Tuesday, so ill do it then.
simmo400

Post by simmo400 »

My 1.5 DCI Tekna 64 plate has the same arrangement. Maybe Nissan has realised the problem and rectified it. Any more grills seems over kill to me.
Simmo
Benw84

Post by Benw84 »

Hi gvmdaddy. Did you manage to have a look at this?
1.5 dCi Acenta Premium in Pearl Black
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

No sorry, it will be Saturday now.