Shark's Fin. Paint problem

Bodywork & Interior problems
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus »

Some bad news if you like me want a 'Shark's fin' instead of the whip aerial and you have chosen a 'new colour' from NissanI ordered the 'Shark's fin from Visual Garage in Canada. The communication and everything so far has been faultless. However, I now have a problem!Received an email from Arthur last night informing me that the paint people who spray the antenna cannot match the paint because the colour 'Ink Blue' is not available in North America. They can get close, he explains, but cannot guarantee a colour match. I am guessing the bronze will be the same issue.I have the option of cancelling the order, taking a near colour match or taking it unpainted with a $10 discount and I get it painted, which I think might be a lot more that $10. Going to do some investigation so let you all know what happens after I have done more research.
1.6 DCI CVT Xtronic, Ink Blue, Front city bar, Rear city bar, Front bumper streamer, Side steps, Wind deflectors, Rear boot lid sill protector, Polished door sill protectors, Mudflaps, Sharks fin

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

I wonder if there's a way of finding if it has a RAL code, which is universal paint colour coding system? Or you could buy a Nissan touch up pencil and send off to supplier so he can make best match, and return afterwards with your order??They could put under a scope probably and discover if it matches a known standard.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Dionysus, that is a great shame that Arthur cannot meet your paint needs but looking around it looks like this Nissan Color is really new. As Gel mentioned the two options are you can pick up Paint Pen KE998RBN25CC from Nissan as a match and send it. But as jonceebee has mentioned that for our Pearlescent White QAB there is : a white base / pearl effect / clear gloss so I am not sure the color will be the optimal color.
If you look at www.e-paint.co.uk you will find an RAL Color Chart but yours is not on it. Also mentioned on the Forum was : www.refinishsystems.com / www.cartouchupkits.co.uk
Do you have what we call here the "Lack Doktor", these guys are normaly mobile or in spray shops which do the smaller jobs cheaper with an Air Brush. They normally computer mix the colors to match your car needs. I would give it a try and ask for a cost or you just accept the VG color from Arthur (discount is small) and if you are not happy then get it re-sprayed when you receive it but before you install it. If you want it you do not have many options at present unfortunately - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

CAR PLAN told me sometime ago they do have Nissan Ink Blue available in their aerosol range:http://www.carplan.co.uk/index.cfm?category=92
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus »

We have nothing like that here Dave. I am going to the garage this Tuesday and ask them if they can get the paint. If so, how much to blow the thing properly and lacquered afterwards as they would the car. I have been the aerosol route before using one on the engine cover of a Honda outboard for the boat. Sprayed great, but after a few months in the strong sun it started to loose the shine. No matter how much polish I put on it. Then it went matt. Not good, so, I am very reluctant to try that again especially as once it is stuck up there there is no chance of getting it off once stuck down to repaint it. Let us hope the garage can blow it for me, but I might get Arthur to spray it and see how close he can get to the colour. Then as you say blow it later if it does not look right. The discount is tiny so can I can easily take the risk.
1.6 DCI CVT Xtronic, Ink Blue, Front city bar, Rear city bar, Front bumper streamer, Side steps, Wind deflectors, Rear boot lid sill protector, Polished door sill protectors, Mudflaps, Sharks fin