Tailgate rattling on latch

Bodywork & Interior problems
Steve McF

Post by Steve McF »

Hi all,

seem to have the tailgate rattling on it's latch. This is noticeable driving at lower speeds around town etc.

When I close the tailgate and push on it there seems to be a bit of play. Ahaaaa, I thought, adjust the stricker inwards to tighten things up.

Went to do it this evening, and it seems that the striker plate cannot be moved inwards, and the position of the latch on the tailgate is fixed too!!!!

How are you supposed to adjust these things, and hence get rid of this annoying rattle??

The car is a 12 plate Q+2.

Any help gratefully received!!!!!

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

adjustment is normaly on the striker plateIt has to be either boot rubbers worn or maybe the latch itself wearing if no damage to rear panel has caused a rattleim sure the striker plate has 3 bolts though mate remove rear panel and have a look
Steve McF

Post by Steve McF »

I did try to move the striker plate - only two screws hold it in place, and the panel/striker is not slotted so the striker plate cannot be moved at all from what I can see.When you say boot rubbers, do you mean the tailgate aperture seal?
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

It's a common fault on the old QQ.The normal "fix" if the striker plate couldn't be adjusted was duct tape.Edit:- I didn't think it occured on the 2010 onwards version mind.
AlleyCat2014-07-15 13:29:41
Nissan no more...
Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

This sort of thing should be rectified under warranty. I assume the car still has some warranty left!
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
Steve McF

Post by Steve McF »

Yes, the car is under warranty till next Feb/March. I will ask the dealer to investigate, but fairly sure it is coming from the tailgate latch. our daughter was sat in one of the +2 seats and said the noise was coming from behind her ;)
SKYLINE

Post by SKYLINE »

How they adjust the new cars tailgates on the final line is and im not joking, they have a hammer, check the tailgate fit and they just hit the latch pretty hard which ever way it needs to go to take the slack up - obviously you would need to be careful and put a towel or something around about it so if you missed or slipped you didnt damage anything - it looks brutal but must work as they still do it even on the new model....

SKYLINE2014-07-16 17:27:30
Steve McF

Post by Steve McF »

Skyline,I assume if you hit the striker with a hammer you'll just deform it, as there is nowhere for the striker plate to adjust to.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

hhmm. I thought there were rubber "bungs" that screw in/out of the boot lid itself which take up some slack like there is on the bonnet?
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Yes, there is a little "rubber" bung it seems. I have not played with it as I only looked on my way to work. Its located just below the strut mount on the boot lid. It could be something else and I am barking up the wrong tree but worth a quick play to see if it solves your problem.