Community Spirt

Suggestions & Help using the Nissan QashQai Forums
Rob
Site Admin
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Rob »

Tricky one this and I'm not sure how to word it but I think we are lacking in community spirit at times here and we need to start being helpful, kind and welcoming to each other!Yes - we have differences of opinion and yes its fine to state them but some of what I have been reading lately has been more than just that.I also understand how frustrating it can be to have delays, faults and useless dealers. I'm not asking you to refrain from posting about them but please take a deep breath before you do. It will also help to get Nissan involved if it looks like we're a community and not just a place to rant and moan.So - any suggestions, please feel free to comment below or if you'd rather - send me a PM.ThanksRob

Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

I have also been surprised by some of the personal attacks, even subjected to one myself because the reader couldn't identify humour. I greatly appreciate the helpful information that I am finding here and when I do get my car (just over 4 weeks now abw) I will do my best to give helpful feedback and insight.
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
Kris

Post by Kris »

One way is what you said earlier, tidy up threads, have them a bit more specific delete any that are abusive and try to have threads that highlight problems so if Nissan will look it may help them and us to obtaining solutions.
Also the positive threads so we can see the good side of the cars. It will take a lot of work for you and the mods but should be worthwhile in the long run. Good luck
1.5 Tekna Pearl White: Alloygators, Mud Flaps, Defender spray to front bumper and bonnet
ShinyAndy

Post by ShinyAndy »

Product forums are rarely positive places, it's just human nature (and a good thing) to complain about things that aren't right. Aside from the initial enquiry posts, pics of new cars and great mpg stories what else can you talk about when it's basically just an appliance doing a job?

People will post problems in an attempt to find other people having the same issues so you can get them resolved, what's the point going to your dealer with no ammo and being fobbed off when armed with knowledge of other people you can fight your corner with evidence.

I guess what makes this forum unique is the amount of members that are patiently waiting for their car to arrive, full of excitement and not really wanting to read any horror stories.
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

Actually, I disagree.I've been a member on another car forum for years (longer than I care to admit) and have met several of the members there. There is a true community spirit, and people have been known to drive out and rescue stranded members on the road.
ShinyAndy

Post by ShinyAndy »

I don't disagree with that, once you meet up you introduce a different personal element to the mix though. I am still very good friends with 30+ people that I've met back in 2000 on a track day forum and still "speak" with daily.

I've also been involved in car newsgroups, yahoo groups and forums since the 90s as a user, moderator and Admin on seemingly everything from Minis, Hondas and Subarus to Lotus, Caterhams and Porsches. I can't think of one that was a euphoric, utopia full of happy content owners. Over time the overriding theme is one of people asking questions about things that don't work, how to fix/improve things and moaning about how rubbish dealers are. Old timers get fed up with the same old threads appearing week after week from newbies, "Use the search" becomes a standard auto reply and then trolls appear taunting the old boys into flamewars! Mutinies are commonplace as users decide they don't like the direction an Admin is taking it and log off and form their own version. Introduce a membership fee and you have another nightmare as people want to know exactly where the money goes and want a say in what its used for... Etc, etc!

Maybe I'm just old and tainted though, maybe its different with a more mainstream practical carShinyAndy2014-07-23 21:45:28
OmnibusMan

Post by OmnibusMan »

Yep, it this case on many forums. My hobby is photography and all the forums are full of arguments over which is better: Canon or Nikon. A new thread starts every week with a new member asking which is best. It gets very heated at times.
1.5 Tekna Gun Metallic 64 reg
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Yes community spirit on a forum is essential it then helps members with problems and a possible solution, there has been a tendency for ranting on and on about certain matters and often totally unfair criticism of the car and other members without giving either a chance. But what I find annoying is when complaints are made and a statement of "I'm off to see the dealer" and often no follow up as to the outcome.I have been a member of BriSkoda since 2007 for my current Octavia and former Yeti and found members on there so much more helpful and if a problem occurred a civil comment was made followed usually with the outcome, without all the continual moans and statement that the cars are rubbish.We have regular meets and drinks and many friends have been made, by all means complain if you like but in the correct place and stop saying the car is rubbish.....It is not
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Just to chip in here... I also have experience from the other side as a 'supplier' you also quickly throw your hands up and avoid forums - the majority may be quite positive, constructive and polite, but it's the minority who often shout the loudest and skew the view of the community. Also I've run a forum or two in the past for my sins.That's not to say we're not entitled to have a moan or air frustrations, just as long as it doesn't become overly negative or personal.Personally I have found forums with a good moderation team and clear rules to carry the best community spirit. If a reply is personal or aggressive in nature - just be a bit more ruthless and delete it and warn the poster that it isn't tolerated. If a thread descends in to a tirade off topic, lock it, it'll soon sink out of view.There are also automated rules about not letting someone post immediately after registering, etc. Might stem some of those just looking to vent or troll if they have to make an effort to revisit. Getting the balance right is tricky though, don't want it too become to draconian or preventing people from expressing valid opinion, even if it's not a popular view.
2014 1.6dci Tekna Storm White 2WD
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Posts will be cleaned up during the forum shuffle around later today. Will take some time to complete so will be a "mess" for a few days whilst we get things sorted! Saying that, I think other than the odd 1 or 2 posts, I think people have stopped moaning in most threads and I have not had much concern other than the 1 specific "negativity" thread which I had to lock as it seemed to be running away with itself! I think we see how it goes with the new forum areas but that should improve things massively and stop "where should I put this post" confusion, which may also stop thread hijacking!