Send to car

ICE, Equipment, Options
lythamlife

Post by lythamlife »

[quote="Donkey"]So you get a bookelet then do you when you order?You order from a brochure or an advert, you only get a booklet when you get the carAre you saying the adverts currently on TV reflect what the cars currently capable of?And its not a grey area its downright disgraceful as when you go into a demo and ask re connect features you first must physicly own the car and register online to download the apps, without a chassis number you cannot register and to get a chassis number you must pay for car go home and wait for car to be registered to find out look mum app store has just a facebook and google app[/QUOTE]I thought I was asking a reasonable question but apparently not. Put aside the adverts for a moment, I'm asking what the documentation says; I assume having access to the owner's documentation (and hence the satnav information) might assume you are the registered owner.

lythamlife2014-05-03 11:00:57
1.2 DIG-T Tekna in Pearl Black - Current expected delivery date is 13 May 2014 - actually delivered in April.

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

lytham life you are asking a reasonable responsible questionim not against you mate I make you right just pointing out the booklet shows no worthwhile information neither does a demoif you ask salesman he will explain rightly when you buy the car you log in and update whatevers available, the brochure and advert do rightly state subject to availability etc so you dont know what your getting until you get the car and realise your actualy getting very littleBasicly you can download old google make a map send to car but all that goes to car is destinationIf you have an adress say in your phone book the system is able to just go there but wontall the things needed to do what we want are in the car, just no one has yet designed software to make it do itIts something that isnt working in any country and a boffin could make that in a day with Nissans brains and techJust they havent done it
lythamlife

Post by lythamlife »

Righto so you are saying the satnav documentation is inadequate. Have you queried this with dare I say Nissan Customer Services assuming you're getting nowhere with your Dealer?

lythamlife2014-05-03 11:13:01
1.2 DIG-T Tekna in Pearl Black - Current expected delivery date is 13 May 2014 - actually delivered in April.
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

I have rung them yesThey refer you to a dept to help with the connect, they talk you through it to ensure firstly you are connected and can get any available apps or updatesYou do this the guy was nice and patient finaly the app is on your phone the phone is connected to nissan connect and everything is working as it isYou then check for updtates to get the gimmicks and apps features etc of the send to car Nissan connect and you find the cupboard is bare - there is nothing available other than Facebook app or a google searchAll smart phones have adress book, say were going to meet up and ill collect you no problems i go to my phone adress book and realize you cant send the adress to the car its software wont let youso i go home quickly download an old google map enter your adress then noting i need to say pop in somewhere and insert the route to incorporate thisThe send to car feature ignores all your efforts and just puts your home as destinationWhat im saying is why go through all that hassle when i could just go to my phone get yoru adress and enter it directly in sat nav
chrisnewbold

Post by chrisnewbold »

The grey areas in the owner's documentation are speed camera set up and traffic set ups. In fact both worked on mine without any set up I eventually found out. But it was confusing with no mention in the handbook. Some have have to manually set up the speed camera alert by enabling MyPOI alerts and without coming to this forum you wouldn't know that was the trick. Regarding traffic, it's what's called TMC traffic message channel traffic and just works out of the box. But you don't see much because it's an inadequate system. You can check delays on route by manually accessing info and if there is a major announced hold up it will tell you and automatically redirect you if you choose the automatic redirect option. You also see heavy traffic on your map as a heavy (black? Can't remember..) road line. As I've said before no worse than any other built in car satnav and most people would be happy with it. I'm not unhappy with it as I like the way it integrates with the music interface and driver info display. These features are not really explained in the manual.

In terms of the the connect 2 system, the manual is vague again, presumably because this is an open system of apps that will change over time. Online support or support within the connect app would be useful though. So far send to car (which also has a keyboard based google search) and Facebook are present. Both work as intended, but google send to car only sends the destination. Not a problem for me, but for others this is. In the absence of an ability to navigate to an iPhone contact I find this useful as I can send any destinations from apple maps or google maps from my iPhone or iPad. Facebook is a pointless gimmick, as to use it I'd have to stop the car, and then I'd use my phone if I really wanted to check Facebook! Oh, and the one bug I've found is the 'slow connection' warning which comes into play when you really need to use the send to car feature to pick up an address and are in a hurry. Everything is fine, app is running on iPhone, 3G connection is present yet the connect claims slow or no connection and just hangs. You have to either restart the connect app or the phone to get it working.

So what's missing? As Donkey says there are some missed opportunities that I hope Nissan will address as the connect system gets into its stride. The following features are advertised online in the brochure and not present as far as I can see: live traffic, text alert, over speed warnings, 3d mapping, Internet radio. So there you have the list of features where some of us have felt a bit misled, and impossible to know they weren't there until individually setting up the connect service and through day to day use of the system.

As someone whose been spoilt by the almost brilliant TomTom iPhone app, I hope Nissan build in - improved (and freely upgraded) over the air maps with better 3d viewing, proper live traffic that shows you live areas of slow moving traffic and alerts you of these on the map screen without having to access a list of hold ups, integration for iPhone alerts, and voice control! No reason why not for these when you have a system that is connected to the web for live updating and that ultimately we'll all pay a subscription for. Then I'll be really happy as I won't have to fall back on whipping my iPhone out of the console, and mounting it to the dash when I need proper grown up sat nav. I've done side by side comparisons on journeys and the tomtom pisses on it every time.

I'm also hoping, as an iphone user, that 'CarPlay' will be added as a free upgrade. This will give me the option to have an iOS interface on the connect screen and essentially use the connect system as my iPhone, meaning I get my tottom app on screen, alerts, voice control (SIRI though, so borderline insane) and I'll be nearly happy. At least then when it goes wrong I'll complain about bloody apple, not bloody Nissan.

Just to sign off, the connect system is great. It beautifully integrates music from a connected phone with album art and info text, integrates the navigation, the radio all in one easy to use unit. It's far better than any similar system I've used (Ford, I'm looking at you). It has a few bugs, doesn't match up to a dedicated high end satnav and isn't quite as advertised. It has the potential to be brilliant and I'll certainly be feeding back to Nissan in what ways and I hope others do too.

chrisnewbold2014-05-04 08:02:45
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Well put Chrissums everything up adresses the missing bits and points where the upgrades are neededMy view is still the same its no worse than any other alternative, Hands up I do believe as its an in car fitted system its no worse than any othersBut its billed as something special and falls far from that fence, unfortunately if anyone was to argue the point trading standards could easily have the current adverts or publicity either pulled or heavily editedFor me a sat nav is all about upgrades, last years sat nav simply dont keep up with the new roads and changes going on in this fast paced world and to launch a car with obselete software and knowingly keep advertising falsely well thats criminal isnt it?
lythamlife

Post by lythamlife »

Excellent response chrisnewbold. Thanks
Scarletlancer

Post by Scarletlancer »

Good explanation chrisnewbold thank you.
Tekna 1.2 Dig-T Pearl Black.
Salo

Post by Salo »

I purchased the APP, no problem what so ever sending the routes, the problem is the car won't accept my phone? Says it's not registered. :(
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

What phone do you have mate?If its the iphone the only way to connect it other than for telephone is tether it (plug the phone directly into the USB slot)To be fair the Iphone is a pain in a lot of cars as it goes