Horn

ICE, Equipment, Options
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I was putting in a lower grille so thought I'd try the Fiamm air horns I've had "in stock" since buying them at least ten years ago.

They were a tight fit but I just got them in though I took the grilles off. However it's not improved the sound much so I suspect I'll be modifying again.

The horns - Fiamm Super CTE 50C:

IMG_7095 (Large).JPG

Before - the single air horn:

IMG_7096 (Large).JPG

After:

IMG_7097 (Large).JPG

Last edited by gloucester on Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

Gel

Post by Gel »

I'm sure they'd be a substantial improvement over the pathetic single horn squeak fitted by Nissan :)
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Coupe racing

Post by Coupe racing »

Coupe racing wrote:I have just completed this using 2 clam shell style horns.
Job took approx 30 mins and requires very few tools.
The original bracket was retained and un modified

I took several pictures if anyone would like to see what is involved

Horn is much improved , but not the tone / volume I was hoping for , so it would pay to shop around.

I did try a pair of Lucas Snail type horns , but there is not much space , and extra brackets would be required.

Well have been playing with this for a while , and have a MK1 solution - Clam shell horns - poor tone

And a MK2 solution - Snail type horns which are much improved , however due to space being at a premium , as has already been mentioned , I decided to try and innovate a little.

MK1 solution.

I made up a splitter loom
This consists of 2 pieces of cable ( red ) at 100mm long
2 pieces of cable ( black ) at 100mm long
4 female crimp connectors
4 female protective covers
2 male crimp connectors
A length of shrink wrap

Picture5.jpg

Then removed the slam panel trim to access the horn
Remove the horn and its mounting bracket and offered up the 2 horns.
They were connected by a 20mm xM8 bolt , 2 washers and an M8 nyloc nut

Picture4.jpg

Once assembled , the horns were offered into position and connected.

Picture7.jpg

As you can see , there is lots of room , but I was not happy with the volume or tone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So onto the MK2 solution.

This time I removed the grille to get a better idea of space.

Picture8.jpg

I then used the following

Original mounting bracket
Original low tone Nissan horn
A new Lucas Snail type High tone horn - about £10.00 from Ebay
A short length of metal with a 13mm hole at each end to support the Nissan horn as per the Lucas unit

I offered the horns up to the bracket in much the same way as the Clam shell horns

Picture9.jpg

And after a little trial and error settled on a final position.
The loom I made previously was retained and the new assembly slotted into place.
Its a bit tight , but nothing was cut , modified or bent to achieve the fit.

Picture10.jpg

And finally with the grille in place.

Picture11.jpg

The result is a horn that is not whimpish , and has a decent volume and tone.
Best of all - its fits without modifications and is cheap
Total time to carry out was about 45 mins.

Hope this helps

I have other pictures if anyone needs clarification.
Oct 2016 - Qashqai 1.5DCi N - Connecta - Pearl Black Metallic
Aug 2016 - Qashqai 1.2 DID-T Acenta with Premium Pack - Gun Metallic Grey
Meemee

Post by Meemee »

The horn

IMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6529.JPG

DIGT16

Post by DIGT16 »

Hey everyone,

Is it safe to assume, given the number of people in this thread who have appeared to upgraded their presumably new Qashqais, that this will not affect warranty?

For someone not clued up on this stuff, how much would labour cost if I bought the parts separately?

As it stands, I don't like using my horn unless I have to but I don't want to lose the warranty either so would wait 3 years if I have to...

Thanks
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

The answer is no. You loose the horn warranty & maybe the wires leading to the horn, but that's about it. It is unrelated to most of the car.
DIGT16 wrote:Hey everyone,

Is it safe to assume, given the number of people in this thread who have appeared to upgraded their presumably new Qashqais, that this will not affect warranty?

For someone not clued up on this stuff, how much would labour cost if I bought the parts separately?

As it stands, I don't like using my horn unless I have to but I don't want to lose the warranty either so would wait 3 years if I have to...

Thanks
DIGT16

Post by DIGT16 »

Daewar wrote:The answer is no. You loose the horn warranty & maybe the wires leading to the horn, but that's about it. It is unrelated to most of the car.

Thanks
Ah ok, that's not too bad and probably worth it. Was worried it was like an electrical product where you tamper with something and lose any/all cover.

Anyone here got it done through their local Nissan or had a quote?
Gel

Post by Gel »

My dealer wouldn't contemplate; even for an extra Nissan one. Also incorrectly told me would affect the car's BCM which is not true (QQ's computer).
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I bought a Set of Hella Supertone Horns when in the US for our 2012 Juke and then had them transferred to the new 2014 QQ when we had the Webasto Stand Heating installed. Never has our Dealer questioned the installation or mentioned the Guarantee on both cars and they were installed FOC. They are positioned virtually identical to MeeMee's position - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Coupe racing

Post by Coupe racing »

Thanks

My conversion uses the original bracket with out modification.
It also uses the original horn and loom without modification.
The only extra is an additional couple of wires plugged into the existing loom , and one additional horn.
The wiring used is acceptable for the currant draw , and the fuse did not require upgrading

Therefore it is all reversible if required and I cant see how it can affect the warranty.
Oct 2016 - Qashqai 1.5DCi N - Connecta - Pearl Black Metallic
Aug 2016 - Qashqai 1.2 DID-T Acenta with Premium Pack - Gun Metallic Grey