Malfunction Forward Collision?

ICE, Equipment, Options
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

MikeGC wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:29 pm Mine is definitely turned on - an hour ago it stopped me ramming an old Peugeot with no brake lights.
On the dash, during normal driving, the symbol shows in white.
therefore white = active
Interested to know, did it stop you due to beeping at you, or did you get so far as to have it stop the car for you? Something I've yet to test and have no desire to.

I have been saved myself, someone turning without indicating in front of me last minute, whilst I was looking further ahead on the road not realise they'd slowed down.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

chrisw99 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:32 pm
MikeGC wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:29 pm Mine is definitely turned on - an hour ago it stopped me ramming an old Peugeot with no brake lights.
On the dash, during normal driving, the symbol shows in white.
therefore white = active
Interested to know, did it stop you due to beeping at you, or did you get so far as to have it stop the car for you? Something I've yet to test and have no desire to.

I have been saved myself, someone turning without indicating in front of me last minute, whilst I was looking further ahead on the road not realise they'd slowed down.
Lots of beeping and the brakes were applied, I then took over and stopped the car - brilliant
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Glad it worked Mike. I've never been brave enough to not touch the brakes!
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

The way they test it on tracks is apparently using balloons or a sheet. A friend of mine did a VW track day, and they demonstrated this and drove at a pile of balloons full speed and it stopped every time. When my friend got his go, he drove straight through the balloons without stopping. The instructor guy thinks he may have instinctively touched the brake or clutch which disables the system as it thinks you are in control.

Not sure I see the logic in that, I would rather the car stop itself if it saw an obstruction regardless of if i'm touching the clutch or brake rather than risk me bang into it.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

chrisw99 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:19 pm The way they test it on tracks is apparently using balloons or a sheet. A friend of mine did a VW track day, and they demonstrated this and drove at a pile of balloons full speed and it stopped every time. When my friend got his go, he drove straight through the balloons without stopping. The instructor guy thinks he may have instinctively touched the brake or clutch which disables the system as it thinks you are in control.

Not sure I see the logic in that, I would rather the car stop itself if it saw an obstruction regardless of if i'm touching the clutch or brake rather than risk me bang into it.
This is what concerns autonomous car drives - if there has to be a crash, who or what do you crash into?
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

rod9669 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:09 pm
chrisw99 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:19 pm The way they test it on tracks is apparently using balloons or a sheet. A friend of mine did a VW track day, and they demonstrated this and drove at a pile of balloons full speed and it stopped every time. When my friend got his go, he drove straight through the balloons without stopping. The instructor guy thinks he may have instinctively touched the brake or clutch which disables the system as it thinks you are in control.

This is what concerns autonomous car drives - if there has to be a crash, who or what do you crash into?
Also how does it affect insurance. When we're all in our future QQs that drive in stop start traffic on their own on the motorway then BANG you've rear ended someone, are you at fault in terms of losing no claims?
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I am not a Test Driver for the FEB System but living in a City does have the tendency for people to stop immediately a parking place is seen vacant. Our QQ has now stopped us using FEB 3 times successfully with all the Bells & Braking actions - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

It will still engage if you are on the brakes but the car senses that you are not braking hard enough.
Ive had it kick in a few times. One occasion it frightened the living daylights out of me! That was at some considerable speed, in the dark, when I came up behind an HGV on a slip road. Other ocasions have been at low speed. It does leave it really late, but anchors on leaving you leaving you almost closing your eyes and waiting for the inevitable. Fortunately this has not occurred.