Possible key problems?

ICE, Equipment, Options
QQ17

Post by QQ17 »

I picked up my 2016 QQ last Friday (registered May 2016, but only had 18 miles on the clock), and a couple of times since I've had a bit of a problem when trying to lock the car after journeys. First was on Monday, and the most recent this morning. Both were after 20+ miles trips, and when I exited the car and pressed the small button on the door handle to lock the car, the display shows a flashing orange error message with an outline of a key - can't remember the message exactly, but something like 'No Key Detected'. It hasn't happened on any of the many short journeys I've made.

I tried to lock it a couple times, with the same error message, and eventually locked it by pressing the 'Lock' button on the fob, after which I was able to open the car and start it with the fob in my pocket as normal.

Any thoughts?

Nick
2016 Magnetic Red Qashqai Tekna 1.2 DIG-T

switchback

Post by switchback »

Perhaps try standing a bit closer to the door handle? Sometimes mine won't work at a full arms length...........................and no, I'm not an orangutan :lol: . If not, it's a trip to the dealer or you could try a new battery in the fob.
Last edited by switchback on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Ive notice, purely by accident, that if my mobile is in the same pocket as the I-key then the car doesnt always recognise the key is present. Also noticed the I-key can wipe the magnetic strip and chip on bank cards. This happened to me in quick succession and that was my only conclusion. Bank said they'd seen and heard similar over last couple of years as these keys have come more widespread.
QQ17

Post by QQ17 »

switchback wrote:Perhaps try standing a bit closer to the door handle? Sometimes mine won't work at a full arms length...........................and no, I'm not an orangutan :lol: . If not, it's a trip to the dealer or you could try a new battery in the fob.

Thanks switchback. I'll give your suggestions a try. And if it happens again I might also start using the 'spare' key for a while, and see if that is similarly affected.

Nick
QQ17

Post by QQ17 »

gvmdaddy wrote:Ive notice, purely by accident, that if my mobile is in the same pocket as the I-key then the car doesnt always recognise the key is present. Also noticed the I-key can wipe the magnetic strip and chip on bank cards. This happened to me in quick succession and that was my only conclusion. Bank said they'd seen and heard similar over last couple of years as these keys have come more widespread.

Thanks gvmdaddy. I'll endeavour to keep key and phone (and wallet) some distance apart and see if that makes a difference.

Nick
Ben6279

Post by Ben6279 »

We were having lots of key not detected messages when sat in the car with the keys & was constantly having to wave them around to be detected. Was getting almost impossible to start it at times. Whilst this was happening locking by using the button on the handle was also getting erratic. Swapped out the battery took twenty seconds which fixed all of this.
2015 (65) 1.2l Dig T Ink Blue Tekna. Extra's yet to come, give me a chance.