Rain Sensor

ICE, Equipment, Options
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

I had a new windscreen fitted a few weeks ago by a non Nissan company, and thereafter the rain sensor obviously was not OK, either no response or frantic high speed wiping for no reason. The company admitted they hadn't changed the gel pad which locates the sensor. With a new gel pad, it seems like the quirky way of before, but with a warranty-running-out visit booked to the dealer soon, they said they'd check the wiper settings. BTW, I also asked about ECU updates after these three years and was told "none". (1.6 dCi)
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.

Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Yeah, this gel pad seems to be a crucial part of the arrangement. As I said in my posting I think the sensor is failing on mine as it is coming away from the gel pad.
J11-2016 Tekna 1.5dCi Bronze Metallic
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Well the short fix by Nissan only worked for a very short time and the auto wipe is again non-functional. :|

I hope Nissan can replace the sensor very soon, it's a bit of a pain keep switching the wipers on and off all the time when it's just drizzling, I would have been happy with just intermittent wipers rather than auto, by all accounts even when they're working properly they're not entirely successful?
J11-2016 Tekna 1.5dCi Bronze Metallic
kifler

Post by kifler »

This Nissan rain sensor is bullshit. I was very skeptical of it from the beginning. I even asked from the dealer when i was buying my Qashqai, how is the sensor in our weather and in the winter. They said its good. Now im basically manual wiping, cause sensor is too slow on every sensitivity, and auto wiping is too fast. I wish nissan would come out with optional firmware to turn off sensor and make the sensitivity knob make normal intervals 3s 4s 5s or something. Sensor only works on bright days and in the rain. Not when its snowing and in our dark winter.
J11 2015 Qashqai DIG-T 115 Acenta 2WD Xtronic
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I've never been all that impressed with mine either -- I'd like a manual intermittent setting too!
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Thrall,
There will have been multiple software updates during life of car which are normally applied when car in for service/ repairs..... and are not chargeable.
Insist dealer has the updates necessary to apply before car next in.

I assume this is normally done online with Nissan.

Was in Iceland for holidays in 2015, but had to hire a Kuga.
Surprised to see couple of Nissan's at the Klaki base camp, when we went
on the The Langjökull Glacier tour; one was a Micra!
;)

Nisssan Glacier_ (2).jpg

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

Gel, thanks for that. I assumed there might be some updates, and was surprised by the answer I received on booking in just before warranty expiral. My QQ was a hire car for its first two years, but suspect little more than oil changes were carried out. Hire cars take a beating in Iceland on the many unpaved roads; you had a grey day I see... :( (please excuse slight thread slip)
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Perhaps someone can advise if there's a way an owner can determine what ECM (or BCM as Nissan call it) s/ware version is installed, without Nissan hardware ?

Thrall, perhaps contact Nissan, Island too:

https://www.nissan.is/
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
switchback

Post by switchback »

kifler wrote: Now im basically manual wiping, cause sensor is too slow on every sensitivity, and auto wiping is too fast.
If the auto wiping is too fast then use the adjuster sensitivity to slow it down........................it's not just for the intermittent wiping function.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
kifler

Post by kifler »

switchback wrote:
kifler wrote: Now im basically manual wiping, cause sensor is too slow on every sensitivity, and auto wiping is too fast.
If the auto wiping is too fast then use the adjuster sensitivity to slow it down........................it's not just for the intermittent wiping function.
Can anyone confirm this? Cause sensitivity knob in "interval/auto" mode doesnt do anything. Is my sensitivity knob broken? Cant really test sensitivity knob in sensor mode cause its so flaky. I have 2015 Qashqai DIG-T 115 Acenta 2WD Xtronic.
Also if anyone is confused about what im calling what, this is the positions of the wiper lever.

Manual
Off
Sensor mode
Auto/interval (around 1s interval)
Fast Auto/Interval
J11 2015 Qashqai DIG-T 115 Acenta 2WD Xtronic