Battery or alternator?

ICE, Equipment, Options
Steve-t

Post by Steve-t »

Started my qashqai this morning and turned on the blowers to clear windscreen and noticed engine idling irraticly, lights dip and brighten when I rev they engine. She's only 5 weeks old with 1700 miles. Is it the battery or charging system? Booked in next Thursday at dealers to be looked at. ... not happy :cry:
QQ Tekna - flame red- 1.5 diesel 8-)

Coupe racing

Post by Coupe racing »

I have the same model , and at idle , the fan speed constantly changes.
I would guess that its normal and the electrical system is favouring the replenishment of the battery , and Altenators being machine sensed often need to see an increase in rpm to work properly and to start regulating the output.
Oct 2016 - Qashqai 1.5DCi N - Connecta - Pearl Black Metallic
Aug 2016 - Qashqai 1.2 DID-T Acenta with Premium Pack - Gun Metallic Grey
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I can concur with fan speed changes. Both my mini's and the QQ fan speed change when the engine stops through CO2 saving Start / Stop system.

I would not expect the lights to dip though. Possible battery issue.
Coupe racing wrote:I have the same model , and at idle , the fan speed constantly changes.
I would guess that its normal and the electrical system is favouring the replenishment of the battery , and Altenators being machine sensed often need to see an increase in rpm to work properly and to start regulating the output.
buzzer1926
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by buzzer1926 »

I had this problem and I took my car into my local dealers who said it was' normal' not being happy with the reply and 'a little knowledge being dangerous' I wanted a second opinion. I took it to another dealers and they removed the alternator and bench tested it and found a fault with it replaced the alternator with a brand new one under warranty, the lights were fine from then on no more dimming lights. This dealership did say the fault only showed up when the alternator was loaded fully.
Nissan Qashqai (J11) Pearl white