Activate ok google?

ICE, Equipment, Options
Phairplay

Post by Phairplay »

Hi,
in my kia if I hold down the call button it kicks in ok google on my Samsung phone, yet when pressing the same on the qashqai the connect screen shows voice activation yet ok google doesn't work.

has any one had any look?

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Holding the call button on my QQ activates Google Now, so it works fine for me. The phone does not light up the screen , but i do get an audio prompt over the car speakers.

Samsung Galaxy S6
Phairplay wrote:Hi,
in my kia if I hold down the call button it kicks in ok google on my Samsung phone, yet when pressing the same on the qashqai the connect screen shows voice activation yet ok google doesn't work.

Phairplay

Post by Phairplay »

Daewar wrote:Holding the call button on my QQ activates Google Now, so it works fine for me. The phone does not light up the screen , but i do get an audio prompt over the car speakers.

Samsung Galaxy S6
Phairplay wrote:Hi,

That's the thing I don't hear any prompt or if I say something nothing happens
I've set the qq as a trusted device
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Nothing to do with the qq, it just depends on what phone and operating system it has. Not all things are equal.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Wny not set it to allow requests when connected to bluetooth handsfree? With mine, I just say the magic words, even if the screen is off, and it cuts in. Absolutely brilliant for making calls, getting directions - even sending texts without taking your hands off the steering wheel
Phairplay

Post by Phairplay »

Yeah there must me something wrong with my phone as i said it worked okay in my other car

Cheers guys
Deleted User 2899

Post by Deleted User 2899 »

rod9669 wrote:Wny not set it to allow requests when connected to bluetooth handsfree? With mine, I just say the magic words, even if the screen is off, and it cuts in. Absolutely brilliant for making calls, getting directions - even sending texts without taking your hands off the steering wheel
Could you give us a few more details on how you set this up ? When you say "allow requests" is that on the Connect Unit or somewhere in the phone settings ?

Thanks.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

I thought that it would do it when the screen is off at any time but apparently it does it only if the charger is connected - I only found this out last weekend as I was trying to get my new phone, without a handsfree kit, to work as my old one did with a dedicated holder, with built-in charging lead

Anyhow

It's all done on the phone in the Google setting, which is this icon

https://www.wired.com/wp-content/upload ... e-logo.jpg

then it's three bars top left; settings; voice; ok google detection; all of these are "slid" to the right and blue not grey (sometimes the bottom one "while driving" is grey - dunno why, but it works)
Deleted User 2899

rod9669 wrote:I thought that it would do it when the screen is off at any time but apparently it does it only if the charger is connected - I only found this out last weekend as I was trying to get my new phone, without a handsfree kit, to work as my old one did with a dedicated holder, with built-in charging lead

Anyhow

then it's three bars top left; settings; voice; ok google detection; all of these are "slid" to the right and blue not grey (sometimes the bottom one "while driving" is grey - dunno why, but it works)
Thanks for that info. I tried it on the way home tonight (unwired) and nothing happened so I will try again tomorrow with a wire :)
Deleted User 2899

rod9669 wrote:I thought that it would do it when the screen is off at any time but apparently it does it only if the charger is connected - I only found this out last weekend as I was trying to get my new phone, without a handsfree kit, to work as my old one did with a dedicated holder, with built-in charging lead

Anyhow

Your right ... it does work with a wire. I wonder if its possible to do it without the wire though as I dont normally charge my phone in the car.

For anyone else trying this you need to press and hold the Call button on the steering wheel whilst saying OK Google ... you should then hear the tones that tells you Google is listening and then you can let go of the button and say the rest of your commands. I wonder if it would also work if you had Trusted Voice activated so you dont have to press the Call button (with the phone plugged in) ?

It does seem to work when the screen is locked but I am going to add my vehicle to Trusted Devices so it stays unlocked in the car.

BTW: The 'while driving' is greyed out because its a lesser function to 'from any screen'. Since your phone is listening anyway it doesnt need a function to do it just when driving :)