Battery charging system

ICE, Equipment, Options
Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

Need to know how Nissan 's charging program work in the new cars ?
Understood in this way , why does it give 12,8v when driving on the highway .
With gas pedal depressed and released the gas then it increases it has 14v
It gives me problems of power to the caravan as 12,8v is too little.
I think the car's charging system "goes " down too quickly and think the car battery is charged , thereby leaving less / get less power from the car generator.
Anyone know anything ?

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Aanonymoss wrote:Need to know how Nissan 's charging program work in the new cars ?
Understood in this way , why does it give 12,8v when driving on the highway .
With gas pedal depressed and released the gas then it increases it has 14v
It gives me problems of power to the caravan as 12,8v is too little.
I think the car's charging system "goes " down too quickly and think the car battery is charged , thereby leaving less / get less power from the car generator.
Anyone know anything ?
You dont need power to the caravan, other than to operate the road lights. If its the fridge you are thinking of, then it should either be running off gas or an onboard leisure battery.
Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

In Denmark we have The fridge in The caravan run over 12volts.

It use about 15-17amps.
There is a wire directly from The battery to The wire to The towbarwire. Wire at leg 9,10,11 and 13.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I presume your fridge is putting too high a load on the car's electrical system. I believe the 12V accessory sockets are fused at 15A.
Do you not have a leisure battery on your caravan, and a charger for when you hook up to the mains?
Most portable fridges or cooler boxes only draw around 4 to 6 amps.
Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

Yes 4-6 AMP with a compressor.

This is a absortion, an use 15amps.
why is The car turn Down from 14.7volt to 12,8?

When i use 15amp from The battery? Is work at a Half hour an Then The volt turn Down from 14,.7volt. to 12,8volt.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Aanonymoss wrote:Yes 4-6 AMP with a compressor.

This is a absortion, an use 15amps.
why is The car turn Down from 14.7volt to 12,8?

When i use 15amp from The battery? Is work at a Half hour an Then The volt turn Down from 14,.7volt. to 12,8volt.
You seem to be expecting the car to do something that it wasnt designed to do. Your fridge is drawing too high a load and you really should be powering it from a seperate power source ie leisure battery with a much higher ampage. There is nothing wrong with the cars charging system, it is designed to work that way to prevent overheating or overcharging the cars battery. Buy yourself a high output leisure battery for the caravan and use some coolbox freezer packs whilst on the road so you can switch the fridge off for a while, it should stay cool enough for up to 12-15 hours or so.
Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

Yes but there is a absortion fridge in The caravan now.

Can Nissan do something in The ecu to charge more?

I Think it could be possible.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Read here: http://qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... M+E#p36544

The charging system is not sufficiently designed as it won't allow charging the battery to its full capacity. It may cause you problems when you do have S/S enabled and you drive short distances only. The battery will then come to insufficient charge state and other errors may occur too (Chassis Failure, etc.). As we have no possibility to reprogram IPDM-E with correct charging pattern, there is only help to disconnect battery sensor connector and then you will get constant 14,4V battery charge. However, disconnecting the sensor will disable S/S system and S/S Failure message will be displayed on centre display at each engine restart.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
andspenka

Post by andspenka »

gvmdaddy wrote: You dont need power to the caravan, other than to operate the road lights. If its the fridge you are thinking of, then it should either be running off gas or an onboard leisure battery.
Don't know how much you know about caravans, but it sounds like not much. Caravans have 2 7 pin plugs, one for lighting and 1 supplementary for reversing lights, battery charging & powering the fridge etc. Newer vans have a 13 pin plug now which are much neater and a better design altogether.

The caravan fridge will run from the mains electric when sited, it will run off gas but this is illegal when towing and you should not have the gas connected on the move. It will only run from the car battery, this is to cool the fridge while travelling so it's ready for when you arrive on site. There's no connection to the leisure battery as you suggested.
2014 Tekna 1.5 dCi in Ink Blue
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

andspenka wrote:
gvmdaddy wrote: You dont need power to the caravan, other than to operate the road lights. If its the fridge you are thinking of, then it should either be running off gas or an onboard leisure battery.
Don't know how much you know about caravans, but it sounds like not much. Caravans have 2 7 pin plugs, one for lighting and 1 supplementary for reversing lights, battery charging & powering the fridge etc. Newer vans have a 13 pin plug now which are much neater and a better design altogether.

The caravan fridge will run from the mains electric when sited, it will run off gas but this is illegal when towing and you should not have the gas connected on the move. It will only run from the car battery, this is to cool the fridge while travelling so it's ready for when you arrive on site. There's no connection to the leisure battery as you suggested.
To be totally honest the last time I touched a caravan was 32 years ago working as a mechanic at a caravan sales centre. Ive no doubt tens of new rules/regulations now apply that didnt then. Back then you could, or people did drive with tye gas hooked up and powering the fridge. Some of the larger newer more expensive models had the option of included leisure batteries as an alternative. As I say, laws change over time that im not aware of. I still believe the OP is expecting the QQ to provide way more power than it is designed to and as such should look to use another power source such as a high powered leisure battery onboard the caravan.