Sat nav not accurate

ICE, Equipment, Options
renard
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by renard »

I have a 65 reg Qashqai, new in September 2015. I'm finding the sat nav annoying.
Whenever the voice says Turn Right (or Left), the screen always falsely indicates that the turning is 50 yards further on! This is particularly confusing when a number of turnings are close together.
Also, it often announces the destination is on the wrong side of the road.
And at least twice, when I have input a postcode destination, it has taken me in a completely wrong direction.

Are others having the same problems, especially with the '50 yards' fault? Should I be able to get a new SD card under warranty?

daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Hi

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your sat nav. I have a QQ registered October 2015, so about the same age as yours. I can honestly say that I find the sat nav very good and accurate. It is the first car I have ever owned with a sat nav, prior to my QQ my sat nav was the wife with a road atlas on her knee!

We have just come back from a holiday in Scotland and travelled over 1800 miles, and the sat nav was brilliant, finding some very remote places. Only once did it lead us into a cul de sac, but to be honest the correct location was only a 100 metres further down the road.

As for the screen falsely indicating the distance to the turning, are you referring to the display that pops up on the driver display unit with the bar that decreases as you approach your turn? If so, then mine is excellent and again find it has always been accurate.

It would be interesting to see what other QQer's comment about their sat navs, but I for one am really happy with it.

Cheers
Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
simmo400

Post by simmo400 »

Ive had my tekna QQ for 2 years now and the sat / nav has been fine. Maybe a software fault so looks like a trip to the dealership is required.
Simmo
samovar

Post by samovar »

I never use the sat nav with voice. I used to think sat navs were awful but thanks to the QQ I am a convert and love how, when I ignore instructions on the dashboard, it just recalculates the route. I do give it tests sometimes (on routes I know) and sometimes it gives me a better route and other times it leads me round every small road in the area so I guess its 'fastest route' computations aren't really sophisticated. Try some routes you know and see if it does them OK.
1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium 2014 Ink Blue
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Dont have any problems with mine. Works all the time. The satnav sd card is already out of date when you buy the car from new and you will not be able to get a newer one under warranty, you will have to pay for one im afraid.

Post by 298 »

Where do you live...? Maps used to have a certain amount of "slippage" where the geographical locations hadn't been translated properly (especially towards the extremeties of the map), or locations where the nav would struggle to see enough statellites in the constellation in order to get an accurate fix.
2014 1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium in Gunmetal Grey.
renard

Post by renard »

Thanks for all the replies, I am much obliged to everyone.

To deal with specific enquiries:
To '298' - I live in Southampton.
To 'Samovar' - it works OK with routes I know, takes me there OK. But it has twice taken me way off course to new postcode locations, delivering me to entirely the wrong address, miles away! And, as I said, more than once it has said destination is on the wrong side of the street.
To 'daddydoug' - yes, it's the decreasing distance display. The voice says Turn Right but the display says the junction is another 50 yards.
(Just to add, the satnav on my previous Nissan, the Primera, was always spot-on accurate - and the lady had a much more pleasant voice!)
Deleted User 3720

Post by Deleted User 3720 »

If it's any consolation to you my personal opinion of the sat nav is its so unreliable I only use it as a general guidance and try and check my route via old paper maps before journey....if it really matters I use my 6 year old Tom Tom as it's proved to be better option (for me)
Pjonah

Post by Pjonah »

I think a lot depends on what you've become acustomed to, I had a Navigon in my previous car which is very different to just about every sat nav out there, so switching to the QQ. May seem a little alien at first, but you o get used to its foibles. Generally speaking I find the system to be really good, but the biggest annoyance is not being able to input a house number if you put in a post code. I am trying it for the first time on the continent in a few weeks so will be interested to see how good it is there.
QQ1.5dCi Tekna Thermonuclear Panoramic intercontinental Ballistic Missile Chrome Mirrors
renard

Post by renard »

Many thanks for the replies. Greatly appreciated. I think I will try to get the SD card replaced under warranty.