How to install a GPS Tracker for under £25 (step by step)

ICE, Equipment, Options
grahamfromoldham

Post by grahamfromoldham »

Hi all, Firstly let me introduce myself briefly. I'm originally from Oldham but now live in Winsford, Cheshire and have pretty much always owned Vauxhalls. The following guide is done using my tracker system I used in my Astra Mk6 and I have removed it and now successfully and easily installed it into my new 2016 Qashqai behind the glovebox area so nice and discreet and tidy with nothing visible bot for you and any suspecting thief. Takes around an hour comfortably but to do a second would take around 30 minutes now I know what I'm up against.
If anyone is interested, I am more than happy to install it for you providing you are willing to travel to Winsford.

The Tracker I use is a 'XCSOURCE' model number TK103A and retails for around £20 with free delivery on Amazon at time of writing this. It uses a standard SIM card and for me personally I prefer the GIFF GAFF PAYG SIM as each text is around 5p or something.
Basically after installation you insert your SIM (with some credit on it) and telephone the Tracker to locate the car's position. It rings silently inside the car so the unsuspecting thief (or wife) would have no idea you are tracking your vehicle.

It rings three times then goes to voicemail at which point the Tracker will text your phone (you need a Smartphone to be able to use this tracker system as it uses Google maps to locate where it is, accurate to within 10 meters) within seconds with its Latitude/Longitude position anywhere on Earth. It also texts you a link for Google maps and all you do is click the link and hey presto, there is the location of your car.
Any questions, fire away I'll do my best guys. Good luck, this is a nice easy mod.
Graham

*Credit goes to member S_J_P from his 'How to install dashcam' guide for directing me to the glovebox removal and fusebox location/piggyback idea. Saved me a bit of time as initially I was installing this discretely into the boot area.

You will need:
GPS Tracker with wiring loom and two aerials (supplied with tracker)
Philips driver
Wire cutters
Double sided sticky tape (thick type) or double sided sticky pads
Piggyback connector with 5A fuse
Ring connector
Pliers for crimping a bullet connector (not shown)

Start by opening the glovebox and locate the small arm at the right hand side

Pull the arm away from the glovebox at the bottom

Once the arm is disconnected, pull the glovebox down and a few wiggles will release it from the two plastic hinges at the back, carfeully as you do so. This will now expose the fusebox which we are going to connect the GPS wiring to.

You should now also remove the end of the dashboard. All you need to do is grip it and pull it off. Comes off relatively easy. This will expose a small compartment above where the glovebox was looking in at the side.

Close up shot of where the small black GPS Tracker will be housed.

Next you need to remove this red 10A fuse. It is a spare circuit and is a permanent 12v supply which is what we need should the car get stolen and/or you want to use the Tracker.

Fit the red 10A fuse you have just removed along with your 5A fuse into the Piggyback connector, ensuring the correct fuse in the correct part of the holder. At the other end of the Piggyback connector is a protected bullet connector as per the first photo. Do not connect this end just yet.

Next, find this screw, attach your ring connector to the black cable on the wiring loom that came with the Tracker and tighten the screw onto it ensuring a nice snug fit. This is your Earth.

Next, attach the two cables that have the GPS and GSM aerials attached to the Tracker. At this point, put some double sided sticky tape on the back of the Tracker unit and also both aerials. Also put your working SIM card into the slot of the Tracker.

Remove the backing off the double sided sticky tape on your Tracker and carefully slot it into the recess above where the glovebox lives. Press it down firmly on the plastic shelf.

Now with the two aerials, remove the tape backing and stick them as per this photo on the edge of the recess. They could have been stuffed inside further but we need optimum reception for these so personally without removing the door pillar trim, this is the best place for them plus after several tests they work fine.

Next step is to connect the wiring loom to the Tracker and carefully feed the loom down to a place where it won't get in the way. Mine is located towards the back of the fusebox.

Now find the red wire on the wiring loom and attach it to the bullet connector on your Piggyback connector and crimp it nice and tight. I used a cable tie to tidy it up and to hold it in place so its nice and neat. At this point, I adjusted the ring connector on the Earth so that too looks neater.
Before you put everything back together, telephone your tracker and it should be working fine. make sure you have switched the 'ON' button on the tracker so you get a green flashing light. You may have to wait a couple of minutes for this to happen.

This is the job complete. Refitting of the dashboard side panel is simple, just press it into place and the glovebox is in reversal of the removal above. Ensure no wires become trapped and if you follow this guide, your tracker should be working. As mentioned previously, I am more than happy to fit this for you at no cost if you're prepared to travel to Winsford in Cheshire and you supply the Tracker and SIM card.

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Thanks very much for the informative instructions :)

If you ring your insurers you may even qualify for a premium reduction. :?
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I'm guessing you can use either a payg sim or a contract sim. If using a payg, what is the ongoing costs? Is it just using data and a text message only when you try to locate the car or is the data link open 24/7 ?
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

GG sim card requires it to be used for 1 call or 1 SMS every 6 months :)
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
grahamfromoldham

Firstly, you do not need a data SIM, just one that has texts and calls. Therefore it does not require data or expensive running costs. I call my tracker once a month just to check its working, which it does and it costs me 5p each time (plus the cost of the phone call when you ring it off your smartphone but I have inclusive minutes).
I probably sound like I am trying to sell the trackers but for the money and running cost you can't go wrong.
Anyone wants a demo then I am happy to show you.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Worth £20 and an hour of any body's time.
Does it send you a text when the sim credit is getting low?
grahamfromoldham

Not sure about that one gymdaddy but with GiffGaff there is an option for auto top up when your credit is either low or has run out. In other words, if it runs out they will top it up automatically for you and debit your card a fiver or tenner or whatever. Hth
QashqaiJason

Post by QashqaiJason »

Thanks for the Advice. Im thinking of installing this myself and was wondering what you did with the separate wires that weren't needed as you're only using power & earth? Is it ok to cut them, or did you just took them away?
grahamfromoldham

Just tucked them away as I don't want to remotely shut down the fuel pump or lock the doors or whatever else this thing does.
muzim

Post by muzim »

I would like to install the tracker without using the piggyback fuse arrangement. It's kind of obvious if anybody opens the fuse box and easily disarmed.
Anybody has experience with this?

thanks