Audio System USB Memory Stick

ICE, Equipment, Options
Lameulette
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Lameulette »

Having installed my large collection of music onto a memory stick I plugged it into the QQ audio system.
Indexing began and continued for absolutely ages. Eventually I switched off and on again. Only to find the indexing started all over again.

I decided to reduce the number of tracks to 1,000. Indexing now took around 5 minutes. All worked OK. The next time and subsequent times I turn on indexing begins all over again!!! Why? Is this a fault or by design?

I fail to see how anyone can load a USB stick with the maximum of 15,000 tracks. This must take all day!

Anyone had a similar experience or can offer advice on what is going wrong? Thank you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2023 ePower TEKNA pearl white black roof

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I recently got a new 64gb stick and put over 14,000 files on there. The indexing never completed on my normal daily commute and always started again. However on a long drive to the Lake District it completed in about 1 hour, and hasn't needed to do a full index since. It does say indexing 1% every time the car starts, but this lasts about 30 seconds - I'm guessing it is checking if anything new has been added.

I have got a couple of new albums I want to put on there, but I'm loathe to take the stick out again in case it needs the full 1 hour index build again. Does anyone know what happens if you add a few more mp3s, does it do a complete reindex or is clever enough to add the new stuff?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Lameulette
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Lameulette »

Since my original post I have raised the track count to 1500, which appears to be a limit in terms of a sensible reindexing time.

When adding new tracks the indexing starts all over again, it appears from scratch taking ridiculous amount of time, this reindexing continues for a few more on off cycles and eventually settles down to a short indexing message each time.

On this basis adding a few more tracks becomes tortuous and something to avoid. I am hoping someone can explain the best strategy for optimising this system. I thought multiple folders rather than one huge folder maybe, next time I have a few days to spare I might try it.

I think connecting my old iPod which worked ok from beginning maybe the only solution. Any feedback?

Cheers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2023 ePower TEKNA pearl white black roof
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

All my music and videos (used in the TV in my Caravan) are stored in folders. Indexing takes no time at all. I have found some memory cards better than others.
Saudistu

Post by Saudistu »

i bought a "Sandisk 64 GB Ultra Fit SDCZ43-64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive". I formatted it using FAT32 (software downloaded from the internet, it is mentioned somewhere on here). I have more than 2000 MP3 songs on it in folders. A folder for each artist, and then in those folders separate folders for each album. I put the stick in the USB slot in the car, and literally in about 5 seconds it was ready. Very impressed.
Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dig-T in Pearl White with Panoramic Roof. Westfalia detachable/hidden tow bar system.
3rddawn

Post by 3rddawn »

What model is your car and Connnect? I've tried 3 different USB micro flash drives, USB2 and USB3 including Sandisk 32GB Ultra Fit and none of them are recognised by the Connect (1, I have a facelift J10 2013 model 360).

I've so far spent £20 on these drives that are all wasted so far ... but the idea of the micro/ultra fit USB sticks is very attractive because I fear sticking a long USB stick at right angles in that socket inside the centre console is asking for trouble if you ever want to put something else in or take something out - one accidental knock and you've broken the USB socket.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

They have to be formatted as FAT32
3rddawn

Post by 3rddawn »

Yes, reformatted a few times, definitely as FAT32. Tried copying many songs, tried it with just one - no recognition regardless
Allan407
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Allan407 »

I always use my iPod. 15000 tracks and no problems.
Rob74
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Rob74 »

I've used a USB in the past with no issues, folders for each artist & then folder for each album.
I now use my iPhone 7+ connected with USB with no issues what so ever as long as I use iTunes, I've found the music isn't as controllable via Spotify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 1.5dci Tekna ink blue