Need URGENT help please - Car Won't start

ICE, Equipment, Options
desibuoy

Post by desibuoy »

Hi,

I've bought a 2nd hand QashQai+2 Tekna about 2months ago. I ordered some LED Lights http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151224509887? ... EBIDX%3AIT - ebay.

Installed the middle 3 lights to LED (just above central mirror), changed the boot light to LED and then one under clutch to LED. All working fine.

I noticed their was one in the Glove box but the light never worked so thought I'd pull it out and change it. Couldn't remove it using my hands so got a plier but ended up breaking the bulb. I then removed the bulb using another plier and then installed a LED. IT came on so was happy. However I noticed it was smoking (very light). I thought could it be its burning the LED due to the other one being broken? I tried to remove the LED and it was HOT to touch. (CAR was running btw, I know I'm stupid). Finally removed the LED.

Thought I'd let it sit for a bit before adding it back in. The pin on the LED was slightly bent. Didn't think much of it.

So I opened the Vanity mirror and thought I'll change them too, again car running. I removed one of the bulbs while it was switched on with slight pressure. As soon as I removed it the other light went off. The car was still running. I don't know what made me turn my car off but then when I tried to start it again it wouldn't.

I tried to jump start it, gave it 5 mins but nothing.

So I wanted some advise as to what else could it be?

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

In the glovebox, did you install a single LED? If so are you sure it was a 12v LED with built in resistor? LEDs are generally 1.5-3.5v and a forward voltage of 12v would certainly make a non-12v LED very hot and smoke!

Sounds like you need to be checking your fuses now.
Last edited by Hound on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
desibuoy

Post by desibuoy »

Hi Hound,

Yes it was a Single LED. the one I bought says it's 12V LED. Not sure about built in Resistor.
If it's the reason it's smoking why the others haven't smoked? or are you only referring to Glove Box?

How would I know which Fuse has blown? Also I removed that fuse, so there's no bulb in there right now. IF I change the fuses would it still work?

The other thing - If I remove all the LEDs and leave them empty - would it still work or will it need some bulbs in?

Thanks
desibuoy

Post by desibuoy »

just thought - cause the glove box was smoking with the LED, will changing the fuse short it again?
Hound

Post by Hound »

I was referring to the single LED you put in the glovebox. If it was a 12v LED then that's fine, but if it got hot and smoked there's certainly a problem somewhere - sounds like it was shorted. Inspect the glovebox lamp socket carefully for any stray wire left behind from the broken bulb. Leave the bulb socket empty and replace the fuse with one of the same value, and see what happens.

The other LEDs that you show are multiple SMDs suitable for 12v. Remove them if you like, but as far as I know, CANBUS doesn't check the interior lights so I doubt removing the working LEDs would have any effect.

Vanity mirror lamps are wired in parallel so I don't see a reason for the second one going out when you removed the first one, unless it was ready to die anyway and the slight extra current took it out.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Here's a typical car-type fuse. You can see that in the semi transparent plastic casing, there's a small loop or S shape between the two blades of a fuse; that's the bit that blows. If you can see that link is broken, your fuse is toast.

130941_image2.jpg

desibuoy

Post by desibuoy »

Just had a quick look and all the fuses are right. Nothing wrong with them being broken. Don't know what else it could be.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Did you replace the glovebox fuse?
desibuoy

Post by desibuoy »

I couldn't see a fuse. I had my neighbour with me and he didn't see anything wrong. He had one of those monitoring things with 2 sprongs or whatever you call them. Said all the fuses are working, could be relay?
Hound

Post by Hound »

BCM fuse has been suggested as possible best place to investigate. Just trying to find out where it is.
Last edited by Hound on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.