DRL modules installed

ICE, Equipment, Options
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

Hey guys,

As most of you know Duncho has made modules for the start/stop system and DRL's.

I ordered a set of DRL modules and they came after just a couple of days nicely packaged and Duncho emailed me the instructions.

There are 2 options when connecting the modules - DRLs off when indicating or dim when indicating ( they only do this when the light switch is in the 'off' or 'auto' position)

I opted for the 'off' solution as this, in my opinion, gives the best visibility of the indicators.

So the question was, how do I connect them? Solder or waterproof connectors. Soldering is not something I have done before but it also gives the best connection (if done right)
I watched a few clips on Youtube to see how it was done then made a few practice joints on a piece of cable. It wasn't going totally wrong during practice so I went with that solution.

The modules were 80% fitted after a couple of hours, but I was missing a connector block in the fuse box area to connect the wires that activate the left and right modules.
I ran out of time that day so I left it a few days until I had time. I decided to run the wires direct to the left and right indicators and made the connections a few cm's from the indicator holders.

Everything now works as intended and thanks to Duncho for the modules and email helpdesk :D

Here is a couple of pictures and a little video of them in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfY2KkSN3pc

2016 1.2 DIG-T Tekna Magnetic Red

RVW

Post by RVW »

I too do not have the connector block in the fuse area.
Any chance of a pic of the connection area and the wire route you took please.
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I'd prefer not to bring a wire all the way across the car from the RH indicator, and have been trying to trace the grey and brown wires from the headlight multi-connectors in the looms passing though and under the IPCM, but had no success so far (largely due to dodgy back). In fact I spent half an hour retrieving a dropped 10mm spanner from the bowels of the engine before I even had the air intake off. :oops:

Pity Nissan seems to have discontinued that connector in the fusebox, it would make things so easy!
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

I agree with you Hound, bringing a wire across the car wasn't really what I wanted to do, but it was, by far, the easiest option.

I extended the wires from the modules through the fusebox to the indicator wires on each side about 5cm from the holder.

For the RH indicator I fed the wire through the cross beam at the front of the engine bay, shown in the pic

So for the most part the wire can't be seen and is protected.

RVW

Post by RVW »

Thanks for the reply. Your images are not showing for me for some reason?
Looking at dunchos instructions and was wondering why you cannot connect to the wires in the module? The schematic shows them coming from the module and going to the connector in the fuse box. ( page 6)

ChrisDK wrote:I agree with you Hound, bringing a wire across the car wasn't really what I wanted to do, but it was, by far, the easiest option.

I extended the wires from the modules through the fusebox to the indicator wires on each side about 5cm from the holder.

For the RH indicator I fed the wire through the cross beam at the front of the engine bay, shown in the pic

So for the most part the wire can't be seen and is protected.
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

The connector is missing

Hound

Post by Hound »

Nice job Chris, and I'm all too familiar with removing that panel in front of the crossmember by now (replacing squeaky horn and rescuing errant ratchet spanners!)

A few metres of extra wire it will have to be.
richard_crl032

Post by richard_crl032 »

Hound wrote:Nice job Chris, and I'm all too familiar with removing that panel in front of the crossmember by now (replacing squeaky horn and rescuing errant ratchet spanners!)

A few metres of extra wire it will have to be.
Hi Hound,

Same missing connector in my 1.2L dig-t manufactured in Oct 2015 while friends' ride from Aug 2015 has them.

Certainly not a show stopper and my installer just connect to indicator wires and I had forgotten about them.

25 more eager friends in the little red dot of Singapore hounding me when I will receive the modules from Duncho while I enjoy being the 1st and only ride with this cool mod here for a while longer ...punt intended ...keke.

Aside to Duncho, hint hint ... :D

Cheers.

Richard
RVW

Post by RVW »

Another question if you can accommodate.
Which of the two wires do you connect to near the indicator grey or white?

image.jpeg

Hound

Post by Hound »

Whichever is live and not ground.

Mine are green and black so I can't help there!