Installing A Dashcam

ICE, Equipment, Options
andspenka

Post by andspenka »

OzzyQashqai wrote:Nice write up!

Excellent point raised about installing a "tap-a-fuse". Ensure that the "tail" of the tap-a-fuse is away from the "hot" side of the circuit. Failure to do so defeats the purpose of the fuse!

In my case, I bought an auxiliary cigarette socket (with USB) from an electronics store, secured it into the dash cavity with double sided tape and wired into the fuse box with a tap-a-fuse. Into this went the dash cam supplied cigarette power supply.
I have done mine like this, just to add on to what Ozzy was saying I knocked up this drawing to explain it on another forum.

The 12v feed could also be at the bottom so it needs to be checked with a multi-meter so you know which is which.
2014 Tekna 1.5 dCi in Ink Blue

Ovenbottom

Post by Ovenbottom »

Thanks for such a comprehensive guide, I have just bought a Qashqai and a nextbase 512. didn't realise that the power socket stayed live !
Will use your guide when I buy the hardwire kit......
Ovenbottom

Post by Ovenbottom »

Just installed nextbase 512 G on new 2016 Q using your comprehensive guide, made fitting so much easier , so would like to thank you for your time and effort you put into this, pictures helped greatly. appreciated!!!!
JoRoSm

Post by JoRoSm »

Hi

New to Qashqai and dashcam ownership and looking at options without hard-wiring...

I'm wondering what routing options people have used for getting the cable to the centre cubby box?

Having been using the centre console cigarette socket, I've run the cable in the head-lining, down the windscreen side of the pillar then across the underside of the glovebox. However, I keep forgetting whether I've unplugged it or not and the cable won't reach the cubby box.

Also, I've not found a neat solution for dealing with the cable at the camera end - is the blocky thing a transformer? I've looped the wire around the back of the rear view mirror to keep that out of the way as it can't be pushed into the head-lining the same as the cable.

I'm guessing a micro USB extension cable would sort my problems, but thought I best check that too!

Thanks in advance

John
Ovenbottom

Post by Ovenbottom »

I think the hard wire is the easiest and best solution given that the power socket on the consul is live always and means you need to unplug between uses.
Following the instructions and photos provided in the initial thread only took me (a novice) about an hour to install and everything out of the way. OK it cost £20 for the hard wire kit but worth the money time and effort.
QQ17

Post by QQ17 »

Do folk leave their dashcams attached to the windscreen when the car is left parked, or do you remove it, and, for example, put it in the glove compartment out of sight?

When car sat navs first came out there was a spate of thefts, which generally involved the thief breaking a side window to gain access, and I wondered if this is happening with dashcams now?
2016 Magnetic Red Qashqai Tekna 1.2 DIG-T
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

QQ17 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:14 pm Do folk leave their dashcams attached to the windscreen when the car is left parked, or do you remove it, and, for example, put it in the glove compartment out of sight?

When car sat navs first came out there was a spate of thefts, which generally involved the thief breaking a side window to gain access, and I wondered if this is happening with dashcams now?
Rightly or wrongly I leave mine in. I wonder if they do steal them do they check first to see the model of dash cam? only that some can be got for as little as £15 and that would leave it been pretty cheap on the second hand market and hardly worth the risk :|
JoRoSm

Post by JoRoSm »

I leave mine in too - not heard of any being nicked, and there doesn't seem to be the demand for them the same as there was with sat-navs when they first came out. As said above, they're cheap enough now, so hopefully they're safe left in situ!

Can anyone answer my query above on the cable routing to the cubby box?

Ta!
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

My dash cam is plugged into the cigarette lighter (2016 N-connecta, UK). I notice when I open the doors the dash camera comes on....does the cigarette power supply switch off when the doors are locked? (don't want to drain my battery).
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Not sure of the N-connecta, but in the Tekna that has 2 power sockets, the one in the dash is permanently live and the one in the centre console switches off a few minutes after tge ignition is turned off and comes live again when the car is unlocked.