Air Conditioning not very cold

ICE, Equipment, Options

Post by sticky »

I feel the same. Had the AC issue since mid-May. I've been running 2 fords for the last 15 years, and never had an issue like this before.

Toffeeggs

Post by Toffeeggs »

Hi Craig
As a retired refrigeration engineer I can state 100% that you are correct in stating the refrigerant does not evaporate in a sealed unit.
Years ago the gas used was R12 which was abolished due to greenhouse gases and the replacement for that was R134a.
One of the top commercial refrigerator manufacturers in East Anglia had massive problems the same as Nissan are having now. What happened with them was that the guy in Quality control decided he could save the company money by having the condenser coils made using a thinner copper for the return bends. These were then used in product.
They then experienced loads of problems with leaking condensers. On inspection they found that the new gas, R134a was leaking from the inside the return bends and this was because the structure of the gas molecules in the gas were pitting the inside of the return bends that were thinner than normal.
It's strange comparing the past problem with this company and the problem Nissan have
with the new gas R1234. Just a thought.
XTrailQashqaiJuked& nowbacktoQashqaiwithGun Metal1.6Teknacvt
Craig

Post by Craig »

Hi Trevone
Customer services have no authority to expedite anything other than a phone call asking the dealer what is happening. They then play back the dealers comment to you like a tape recorder but as they are clerical you can't even discuss it with them as they don't know about any technical matters.
Craig

Post by Craig »

The next battles are likely to be that the handbook states that the system should be run for at least 10 minutes per month to keep the compressor seals from drying out and leaking. As we are waiting so long for the condensers and have no gas in the system it might lose gas after the new condenser is fitted. Meanwhile the clock is ticking and we move towards the end of our warranty!

Post by sticky »

I'll be demanding a new 2 year warrantee to cover the AC from Nissan.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Craig wrote:The next battles are likely to be that the handbook states that the system should be run for at least 10 minutes per month to keep the compressor seals from drying out and leaking. As we are waiting so long for the condensers and have no gas in the system it might lose gas after the new condenser is fitted. Meanwhile the clock is ticking and we move towards the end of our warranty!
A point well made Craig.

Post by sticky »

gvmdaddy wrote:
Craig wrote:The next battles are likely to be that the handbook states that the system should be run for at least 10 minutes per month to keep the compressor seals from drying out and leaking. As we are waiting so long for the condensers and have no gas in the system it might lose gas after the new condenser is fitted. Meanwhile the clock is ticking and we move towards the end of our warranty!
A point well made Craig.
And a very good thing to mention when asking/demanding an extra warrantee that covers the AC.
Trevone

Post by Trevone »

Hi Craig
The customer Services guy took my details and I received a call three days later from a senior person based in Watford.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Hi Trevone
Probably one of the Managing Directors team who I spoke to. She went though the same process and told me she had spoken to the service manger at the dealership. Then it was not for discussion as the dealers are trained and are the experts. I told her there are no experts in aircon in Nissan. The system is a supplier manufactured part. She told me to speak to the ombudsman.
This was before Nissan admitted there is a fault. I still don't understand how their new state of the art test equipment can say the the gas has gone from the system but there are no leaks. I. argued that if water was lost from the cooling system they would know there was a leak and the would find it. Same principle.
I had no apology and I suspect that if I hadn't kept on at them I would now be driving a car with no air con but still under warranty because it is not actually a recall as it is not a safety critical failure. The instruction to dealers is to repair if the customer brings the car and complains the air con is not working
BobCar

Post by BobCar »

My Nissan is just over 2 years old and I started having problems with my A/C, took it into my dealership yesterday and they confirmed it was a fault with the A/C compressor and a new part would have to be ordered.

When I asked how long this would be before it was delivered I was informed that as they had been waiting 3 months for this part but hopefully Nissan were reducing this period to weeks rather than months. I hope so too!!!!

So glad I managed to "survive" the hot summer months with the A/C operational >> Poor people who have had to wait 3 months over the hot summer period.

Not good news and would have hoped Nissan would have sorted this sooner?