Stop/Start system

ICE, Equipment, Options
vetteman

Post by vetteman »

Hi everybody
I have been having problems with the stop/start system, in which it works intermittently. My journey to work is 13 miles, yet at the end of the journey the engine does not cut out when it is supposed to.
According to the dealership there is nothing wrong with the system and that the engine is not hot enough. (After 13 miles??).
Has anyone else encountered problems of this nature?

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

vetteman wrote:Hi everybody
I have been having problems with the stop/start system, in which it works intermittently. My journey to work is 13 miles, yet at the end of the journey the engine does not cut out when it is supposed to.
According to the dealership there is nothing wrong with the system and that the engine is not hot enough. (After 13 miles??).
Has anyone else encountered problems of this nature?
Perfectly normal. All sorts of variables are involved with the stop/start system. Use the search facility at tge top of the forum as a lot has been posted on this before.
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

As above, this is quite normal. Stop start generates more queries than anything else and is often not fully understood by owners (including me). I had this explained very well when I took delivery of an Audi a few years ago and have tried to remember this ever since.
The parameters will vary from one car maker to another but in general the car monitors a number of functions to check that it is safe to activate stop/start. If any preset levels are not met the system will not activate.
A few of these are -

Battery charge level and drain on battery
Ambient temperature
Engine temperature
Turbo if fitted
Low fuel

As an example, you may find after a long motorway run that the system will not activate due to higher temperatures but will cut in again as soon as the temperature drops. On short journeys from a cold start it may not activate due to low engine temperature and/or ambient temperatures.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

Totally agree, it's difficult to predict when it will cut in (or out!). To be honest, these days I just ignore it - after all it doesn't need any input from me anyway, can't see it saves any significant fuel/co2. If there was a setting in the car to turn it off I probably would be again it doesn't bother me either way.

I'm not sure why it causes such anxiety - it's not a feature I'd look for when buying a new car and it makes no difference to the driving experience. If I had to manually re-start the car every time it switched off then I'd pay attention to it working or not! ;)
On mine, if it stops, as I put it into gear it automatically starts.
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Beardyman wrote:Totally agree, it's difficult to predict when it will cut in (or out!). To be honest, these days I just ignore it - after all it doesn't need any input from me anyway, can't see it saves any significant fuel/co2. If there was a setting in the car to turn it off I probably would be again it doesn't bother me either way.

I'm not sure why it causes such anxiety - it's not a feature I'd look for when buying a new car and it makes no difference to the driving experience. If I had to manually re-start the car every time it switched off then I'd pay attention to it working or not! ;)
On mine, if it stops, as I put it into gear it automatically starts.
It can be deactivated using the button on the lower dash to the right of the steering whell, down near your knee, though this has to be done each time you get in and start the vehicle.
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

gmv, yes aware of that - as I said I don't find the system intrusive in the slightest. I just ignore it (sometimes it surprises me when it triggers!) To me it's a background process, if it never triggered again I probably wouldn't even notice, or care. When it does trigger I hardly notice anyway.
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

As mentioned above when we bought the QQ we knew it had "Stop / Start" but it was not a priority as part of our Spec. When it works Great ! it just means dipping the Clutch and off we go, if it does not work it is not a major problem, we can live with it. Possibly many owners have different opinions but to us this was a totally new feature. As also mentioned there are a load of comments on this subject under "Search", here are just a few attachments - Dave ;)

http://qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... art#p35309

http://qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... art#p35275

http://qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... art#p35226
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Found the QQ to be less obvious in regards to when it would stop/start than a couple of other cars i had.
It certainly seemed to be very conservative about when it activated but i never really bothered me.
It was quite often a blessing it didn't activate so often and i doubt it made a huge difference to my overall mpg figures.
Nissan no more...
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

took delivery last week .

my first action was to disable start stop , finding it disconcerting and pointless.

i rarely drive in start/stop type traffic conditions .

start/stop is a great idea on hybrids , where in heavy traffic the batteries will be running the car most of the time .

i suspect its a gimmick / pseudo fuel economy fiddle than much practical use on non-hybrids .

and the starter motor will last longer .....
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
vetteman

Post by vetteman »

Thank you Guys for all your replies. I agree that the stop/start can be a pain, and I am glad when it doesn't come on.
Unfortunately for me I am one of those people that if something is on the car I want to make sure it works, so come the day I sell, if the person buying is into this feature I know it is ok.
So once again thanks.

Qashqai 1.6 Dig-T N-tec+ Metallic Pearl Black