BT connection issues paused - Iphone

ICE, Equipment, Options
bovinemoney

Post by bovinemoney »

Hi all,

I have had this problem since I had the car and refrained from posting as I thought hundreds of others must have this issue and posted about it and also because I just put up with it, but it's really infuriating.

Car firmware: current
Phone: Iphone 5S with latest OS.

Bluetooth audio works, it's a bit finicky and inconsistent (have to restart bluetooth on phone sometimes or the car ...). The problem is, when I want to charge my phone and listen to music or radio with an app on my phone (or built in app on phone) the connection goes away. Example: I am listening to radio through bluetooth, the phone needs charging so I plug in the usb cable in order to charge it and the audio cuts completely and I see:

BT audio playback paused
Apple device is connected via USB and BT.

And I can't do anything at all. There is no audio, until I unplug the usb cable but this is not what I want to do as I need to charge. What am I supposed to do on trips? It's not really paused. I have checked on the phone after this message and it's not paused but I think it's no longer playing through the phone, it's as if the connection has blocked the phone too. My gf has a iphone 6 and not checked on that yet but she doesn't have a connect login. I don't even know if this has anything to do with connect.

Anyone else had this and has anyone found a solution?

cheers

BM

btpaused.jpg

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

This is by design. The USB port is not really a charge port but an interface port for data for the connect system. The other issue is that the USB port will only supply 500mA to the device, which is usually not enough to charge modern phones but slow down the discharge rate!

You would be best getting a 2amp USB charger and plugged your phone into that. It's what I do and works well. The USB socket works from when the car is unlocked to when the car is locked so its not permanent live but will allow your phone to charge whilst playing audio via Bluetooth.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Apart from the obvious "get a proper phone" ;) press aux again - it cycles between wired and bt
Deleted User 759

I think for some reason Apple device are treated differently compared to other devices, hence the quite specific message on the screen.

Worth trying though just in case that works, but I think you would be best getting a dedicated 2amp charger regardless as this will allow you to charge the phone rather than keep it at the same level/slow the discharge rate!
bovinemoney

Post by bovinemoney »

rod9669 wrote:Apart from the obvious "get a proper phone" ;) press aux again - it cycles between wired and bt
Sorry, perhaps it wasn't clear. I cannot do this. I cannot listen to aux music with the wire plugged in. As splanK said, the cable is for interface but not charging but it doesn't work as an interface. My post is as much about aux as Bluetooth. Neither work when the phone is plugged into the USB cable.

Thanks for the replies!
Deleted User 759

IIRC, Apple devices need to be plugged in for internet access via the connect system rather than using Bluetooth. Its the only platform that needs it as far as I am aware, all the others can communicate with the connect system via Bluetooth!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Latest Apple phones do connect via bluetooth. My daughter is driving me nuts with her teenage music now.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

From the American site, but probably still relevant - seems it's USB not Bluetooth is the preferred input method, so try turning bluetooth off when connected via usb

Why does my iPhone need to be connected via USB to my vehicle in order to use NissanConnectSM with Mobile Apps?
Apple's operating system doesn't support the full range of Bluetooth® connectivity. This isn't unique to Nissan. [*]

Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
How do I link my smartphone to the NissanConnectSM system?
If you're connecting an iPhone® to a NissanConnectSM system equipped with navigation, you'll need to plug in using the USB cable. [*] Otherwise, connect your smartphone through Bluetooth®. [*]

Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
Is my iPhone® required to be physically connected to the vehicle to utilize all NissanConnectSM features?
It will need to be connected via USB cable to play music stored on your device. [*] Additionally, if your NissanConnectSM system is equipped with navigation, your iPhone® must be tethered to download and use NissanConnectSM in your vehicle.

Will the vehicle charge my iPhone® while connected to the USB port?
Yes

USB Connection Port
Does my iPhone® need to be tethered by cord to download emails or texts?
Yes

Which versions of your smartphones and operating systems are supported by NissanConnectSM?
Due to the changing versions of the operating system, please reference NissanUSA.com/Bluetooth for full compatibility.

http://www.nissanusa.com/connect/faq
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Ive read the post above and can only say its out dated. The points raised are correct in iPhones up to and including version 5, but they are wrong relating to the iPhone6. It definitely plays music stored on the phone via bluetooth, and also internet music ie iTunes, Spotify etc.
bovinemoney

Post by bovinemoney »

Here is an update. Thanks for all your replies, I do appreciate it.

I think there might be something to the previous comment about iphone 5/s not being up to it. But why would Nissan not say something about that.

Here is what I see on my screen with no Bluetooth on and just plugged in usb cable: (see picture)

I cannot listen just via usb cable either. Yet the message on the screen clearly says 'Apple devices via USB'

After all the hell I went through trying to get my ipod to work I am feeling a bit pissed off right now. Never mind the lack of app support. What has happened to that? I still see some apps in Connect like facebook, google, and Eurosport? Where is the development that was, I guess, promised? It hasn't changed in a year. And a year ago it was only just out.

I think they don't really care about people buying another Nissan in future? I do like the car but so many things just don't really work, it's a bit of a swizz.

I'll see if I can pry the iphone 6 off my gf's hands later this week to test.

nousb.jpg