Hands free microphone quality

ICE, Equipment, Options
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

What are people's experiences with the hands free capability on a 2014 tekna when travelling at reasonable speeds?

I realise there will probably be a degree of background noise but at 50mph, people can barely hear me even when I'm shouting. At 70mph there's no chance.

I've tested it to hear for myself by calling my landline and leaving myself a message on my answer phone. It's truly terrible! Do other people have the same experience or have I got a faulty microphone?

Where is the microphone anyway? Is it near the interior light? That's where I've been kind of shouting in the direction of anyway.

My connect system has had a software upgrade a few weeks ago to fix a problem where it was cutting out all the time but this hasn't fixed the problem.

Thanks guys!

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

The microphone is where you suggest, but ive never had any problem with it.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I haven't used it much but it seemed to work ok for me.

Not sure if there's any control over mic levels in the Connect settings.

The mics are in the overhead panel as you surmised:

Nissan-Qashqai-12.jpg

Sounds like you may need to go back to the dealer again unfortunately. :(
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Bobsta

Post by Bobsta »

I completely agree with the OP. The quality and background noise are awful.
My wife drives our QQ most of the time and trying to have a call with her using it whilst driving at motorway speeds is nigh-on impossible.

(July 14 Tekna here)
bozzyloz

Post by bozzyloz »

I use hands free a lot and at speed on motorway/ in city noise and it is always crystal clear so I think this is a dealer issue too.
1.2 DIG-T petrol pearl black Teckna xtronic
Mak786

Post by Mak786 »

Mine has always been appalling at motorway speeds, even to the extent the service guy couldn't understand what was being said. No better even after a mic replacement. Tried two different mobiles too on different networks. Have resorted to using a bt headset !
Tekna X-Tronic Ink Blue 1.6dCi
duncho

Post by duncho »

Indeed not perfect especially compare to VW, where other party on the phone could not notice that I was driving. I read on Italian QQ forum that replacing the mic helped to solve the problem though. Give it a try.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks everyone. Will take it back to the dealer and get them to investigate.
1.6 CVT Tekna (Storm White) delivered oct 14
RDHJP

Post by RDHJP »

Could it be the phone your using. My wife's Motorola gives reasonable results but my Lumia 930 windows phone gives exceptional call quality
RDHJP
Tekna 1.6dci 4x4
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

After reading this post I thought I was doing something wrong. I have just been to our Nissan Dealer and phoned the wife (both have iPhones) using the onboard Hands Free Nissan System and it was exceptionally clear to me (the wife does say I need hearing aids). I was travelling at 130kph (80mph) and just stuck the volume up using the steering button which was even better - for me not a problem then possibly it is the loudspeaker system, go to your Dealer and get it sorted - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken