NissanConnect reading SMS

ICE, Equipment, Options
dyawlak

Post by dyawlak »

I thought NC was supposed to read SMS, I'm using google hangouts with android 5.1.1 (Galaxy S6). I dont even get notification of a new text.

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Not a feature of Connect..though it is a function in USA models.
For safety reasons I think its unsafe to be reading sms messages whilst driving.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
duncho

Post by duncho »

SMS & Email alerts were features which Nissan advertised back in 2014 on TV ads. These were one of the features which for I finally decided to buy QQ. These marketing lies seem to be already forgotten and Nissan does not even bother to respond to my emails sent to NCS on the missing features including absence of Connect apps. Lies lies and again just another lies.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Deleted User 3109

Post by Deleted User 3109 »

Not sure if you got this working, but I'm looking at a solution for this at the moment using an app called tasker. It's a bit fiddly to do, but if I get a proper solution, I'll post the instructions.

Essentially how I have it set is, when the phone connects to the car Bluetooth, it turns the alarm volume to maximum. I then have it set so that, while connected to the car Bluetooth, if a hangouts message is received, it reads out whatever is in the notification via the alarm stream. Then to reply (or do anything you can in Google now such as playing music), just hold down the call answer button.

I'm trying to work out a way of getting the message to read out via the car audio. This can be done on the media steam if you are listening to, say, Spotify or Google Play music. But I want it to work on dab too.

I hope this helps!
Deleted User 3109

OK, so I've had some time to look into this a bit more and have the solution. It is a bit technical, so apologies if it is hard to follow. This is for Android only, sorry (Samsung, HTC, LG, etc)

You DO NOT need to do this to use the call button on the steering wheel to initiate Google Now and send messages, change music, etc. This is to interrupt whatever you are listening to and play messages you receive via the car's stereo, regardless of input.

First up, you need the following apps: Next you need to ensure all the apps are allowed access in Settings -> Accessibility under the services tab

OK, now that's done, open Tasker and do the following:
  • In the profiles tab, click the + to add a new profile
  • Under 'First Context' choose 'State' then 'Net' then 'BT Connected' then tap the magnifying glass by 'Address'
  • Choose the Bluetooth device of your car (it should say something like 'Nissan Connect'
  • Click your back button, and you will be asked what task you want to perform
  • Click 'New task' and give it a new name, such as 'read message', clicking the tick to confirm
This will now take you to the Task editor where you will set up a series of actions to perform the task. Please note that once you are done with this, you will still need to go back and add a secondary element to the profile to get it to work
  • Click the + to add the first action
  • Click 'Plugin' then 'AutoVoice' and choose 'Ctrl BT'
  • Click the pencil next to 'Configuration'
  • Ensure 'Headset Sound Redirect' is checked, and click the 'tick' at the top right
  • All the settings will be set automatically, so just click your back button again
  • Click the + again to add the next action in the sequence
  • Click 'Task' then 'Wait' and set 'Seconds' to 1
  • Click back and then the + again
  • Click 'Alert' and choose 'Say'
  • In 'Text' type the following (note it's lowercase NL): %nlapp. %nltitle. %nltext.
  • Next choose 'Call' as the 'Stream'
  • Leave everything else as is and click your back button
  • Click the + again for the next task
  • Click 'Task' then 'Wait' and set 'Seconds' to 1
  • Click back and then the + again
  • Choose 'Phone' and select 'End Call'
  • No settings required here, so just click back
  • Click the + for the final time and choose 'Plugin' then 'AutoVoice' then Ctrl BT
  • Ensure 'Headset Sound Redirect' is unchecked, and click the 'tick' at the top right
  • Click the back button again
If you are in your car with the stereo on, you should be able to press the 'Play' icon on the bottom left and hear stuff coming through your stereo!

The final part is to make it actually read your texts:
  • Press back to take you back to the 'Profiles' tab
  • Press and hold on the 'BT Connected' profile and click 'Add' and choose 'Event'
  • Choose 'Plugin' and select 'Notification Listener' and choose 'Notification Listener' (rather than 'Toast')
  • Choose 'Hangouts' from the list and click 'Done'
  • Leave everything as is and click your back button
You are now ready to receive messages! (or at least you should be).

In my previous post, I said that you can hold down the call answer button to trigger Google Now. Once you've done all of the above, you need to trigger a Google Now search, as it will try and offer AutoVoice as an option - just choose Google Now, and ensure 'Always Use' is selected. You should now be able to do things like 'Send hangouts to Jim saying, I'm stuck in traffic, I'll be half an hour'. Or 'Play music by Queen'.

Sorry for the length of the post. I hope it works for you. Any questions, please let me know.
Last edited by Deleted User 3109 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Interesting stuff and thanks for going to all the trouble of researching and writing it all up. I have never bothered with Google Now or Hangouts, and detest Facebook, but this seems worth a look in order to get some extra functionality on the QQ.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

You can send texts etc by using Google now just by saying OK Google
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Gel wrote:Not a feature of Connect..though it is a function in USA models.
For safety reasons I think its unsafe to be reading sms messages whilst driving.
But Twitter and Facebook at 70 on the motorway is fine
Deleted User 3109

rod9669 wrote:You can send texts etc by using Google now just by saying OK Google
Unfortunately, a lot of android phones don't support screen-off 'OK Google' detection, but holding the answer button works perfectly. Plus, you can route it so that it uses the bluetooth microphone.
colpac

Post by colpac »

It depends on the phone. I have always had an iphone and it has never alerted or spoke out a text.
I had to send the iphone for repair a few weeks ago so used the wifes old windows phone and got quite a surprise when a text came through and then the NC read it out. I had just had the NC updated so thought it was a new feature but now i have my iphone back it is back to doing nothing when a text comes through