J11 Battery charging system problem

ICE, Equipment, Options
duncho

Post by duncho »

I had to disconnect "battery current sensor" to get finally proper battery charge while driving (14.28V). The battery was constantly insufficiently charged (12.38V - 11.75V) and there was no one from Nissan who would understand what I was talking about when I explained the issue I have on my car...
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

What is The Conclusion from The dealer?
I have The same problem with mine from june 2014.

Is The charger IN The Car bad?
duncho

Post by duncho »

Dealer doesn't think there is a problem and due to no detail regarding variable voltage management in the service manual, I have no chance to prove them that it isn't working correctly. I guess the only people who could be of great help are designers of this feature. How to pass the message up to them?

I think the problem is in IPDM-E module which controls the battery voltage and state of its charge. Interesting is, that IPDM-E pins on some of the connectors are not soldered to PCB. I might be wrong, but I don't know whether there is a technology used in automotive industry, which doesn't require proper connection secured by soldering

duncho

Post by duncho »

I had some time over the weekend while I cleaned the car, so I put my hands also on the battery in order to measure:
- idle battery drain,
- battery drain under various conditions and
- battery voltage test.

This graph shows idle battery current draw when car is locked and left untouched. The car drains -10mA with short chronological peaks of -18mA when car detects presence of remote key fob.

Idle drain.png

Here you can see different battery drain under certain conditions as noted on the graph. It is understandable now, why car tries to put itself in battery saving mode when ignition or radio is ON.

Idle drain - car unlocking, ignition ON.png

This shows battery voltage dropping under certain scenarios (ignition ON/OFF, engine start, charging)

Battery Voltage overview (2x cranking).png

Finally, detail of voltage dropping while engine is cranked

Voltage dropping while engine cranking.png

I will do IPDM variable battery charge voltage test yet, as soon as I will go for a longer drive. Currently, I deactivated this insufficiently designed feature off, as I faced with constantly undercharged battery, which significantly decreases its life.

PS: I forgot to add that time base is 3 samples measured per second. In order to get time in seconds, divide time axis by 3.
Cheers

brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

i have fitted an ampmeter from eBay, i will try to send an image,

WP_20160331_10_42_17_Pro.jpg

brian
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

The switch is for a wheelarch easy to fit spot lighr. i fitted this because reversing in the dark was difficult
brian
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

wheel arch lights fit wirh existing screws and i fitter for dark reversing

WP_20160331_10_42_17_Pro.jpg

brian
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

wheel arch spots are verry small, i had trouble reversing in dark carparks with very sharp bends. they are in gijon Asturias. The centre lights are fitted by nissan with the ss chrome sidebars And iluminated qashqai door tread

WP_20160331_22_15_49_Pro.jpg

brian
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

the tailgate lights include an other boot light, and they are switched. they work off the existing boot light which is not switched the wires go up and across and use the existind rubber conduit

WP_20160331_20_00_36_Pro__highres.jpg

brian
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

this is mu car with chrome bits the black bonnet deflector realy works well, i dont get any dead flies on the bonnet only live ones.

WP_20160331_20_00_15_Pro__highres.jpg

brian