Draining battery

ICE, Equipment, Options
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="AlleyCat"]
Well I now have an almost new battery (from the showroom model). Had a dead cell. Was the rac that stood up for me.[/QUOTE]

If I were you I would insist on OEM NISSAN battery and not used FIAMM (if you've got this brand as a replacement).
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Sadly as i was already supposed to be 100 miles away i didn't really have a lot of time to argue about what kind of battery i should be getting.Originally the dealer was asking me to just go where i was going and if i broke down again just call the RAC again.This didn't fill me with a great deal of good will when the RAC testing had shown the battery was shot (the word "condemned" is on the test report).The battery was down to 11.9 Volts and was barely accepting any charge back off the alternator (based on the multi meter readings).Eventually when the dealer finally agreed to take a look they spent another 70 minutes testing the battery "because Nissan UK" make them jump through various hoops before they are allowed to do warranty work.It seems to be a re-occurring theme that Nissan UK don't trust their dealer network to make judgment calls on vehicles.Ironically the new battery is date stamped as made on the same day as my car just a year later.
Nissan no more...
buzzer1926
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by buzzer1926 »

Just moved my car this weekend to wash it, car started fine washed and come to move it back and car would not start, relays clicking. Ended up jump starting it.
took it to my dealers Monday Morning and they tested teh Battery reported it half charged, kept it over night to charge, as it had to be charged a specail way.
Collected it Tuesday evening new battery fitted! 6 month old FIAMM battery faulty
Nissan Qashqai (J11) Pearl white
flapper

Post by flapper »

just joined forum, ive had my 1.5 accenta premium since oct 14 and up until 2 weeks ago had no issues. Now ive had no key detected and car would not start,batteries replaced in fobs ok for a few days. went to go to work one morning and car would not start and chassis control fault up along with stop start fault. went into garage and high resistance found on 3 glow plugs so all 4 changed. next day car wont start again, so kept persevering got it going although it was like battery in car very poor. currently in dealers and Nissan techy boys are testing it with another vehicle with similar issues, and have put a different make of battery on and are going to carry out further tests with software. I will update in due course.
almayb

Post by almayb »

Exactly the same as the faults I had 3 weeks ago. Plugs changed Friday , so just waiting to see what happens now.
64 plate 1.5 tekna - Bronze.
flapper

Post by flapper »

there is definitely a trend going on with similar faults on quite a few vehicles, lets hope that Nissan can sort this out almayb. when speaking to dealers regarding the issues they are well versed in not agreeing to much with info that you might have knowledge of. political hot potato I think.
almayb

Post by almayb »

Agreed. They also changed the battery in the fob stating that was the problem with keyless door button not working & key not recognised . Interesting that my car is Sep 14 and no real problems until 3 weeks ago!!!
Nissan customers services are phoning me back in a week to see if I have any further problems before closing the case as I have told them that there is more to it than glow plugs. Interested to see what your dealer comes back with after their tests?
flapper

Post by flapper »

Got the car back yesterday with a new battery fitted and some software updates done apparently. googled the no on battery as is a Nissan badged job and its made by exide. 70 aph. the techs in white coats done loads of tests on car along with 2 other cars that were in the dealers for testing. on the face of it the car seems good now for the moment at least so will just monitor whats going on and take voltage test on battery for a while. pretty sure the new one is not an AGM battery.
almayb

Post by almayb »

I expect they have replaced with EFB battery as original spec with car. As far as I have read from manufacturers the AGM would be a better choice as EFB is more suited to a small S/S car. The only advantage of EFB is that they recover quick from being drained because they accept a charge fast, also the RAC say they should be maintained by a maintenance charging periodically. But the draw back is that the car is set-up to the EFB battery.
I have bought a ctek mxs10 charger to give mine a boost.
flapper

Post by flapper »

Not too sure about the AGM battery as they are really designed for cars that recuperate energy from braking etc to put back into battery, especially for hybrid type vehicles somewhat like the KERS system developed in F1. As far as I am aware the j11 does not work on this principle and is somewhat an entry level type s/s system. I am hoping the FIAMM battery was just the problem but will monitor and see what happens. strangely the car seems to be running really well also at the moment.