Project: Reversing / Disabling Stop/Start feature

ICE, Equipment, Options
duncho

Post by duncho »

Hi Muzim. I'm currently out of stock, last pieces I had were sent to Singapore 2 weeks ago. I will keep you informed if I make some more, just drop me your email please. Thank you
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Daewar wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 pm I really don't understand why people want to disable Start / Stop. The car is designed to do it, its saves on carbon emissions and it saves on fuel also. The system must have been tested, engine, battery, starter motor, alternator and software all designed to do this function.

Leave it as it is designed, do your bit to reduce emissions.
Daewar, im with you on this one. I cant understand people wanting to do this. As you say, the cars systems will have been designed and tested exhaustively. The only thing I can think of is that some owners dont trust the new technology along with the batteries used in the QQ. To be fair, early on after the QQ's launch there were issues with faulty batteries, but in my opinion it was too early to blame these problems on the stop/start cycling. Affected batteries have been replaced and the issues have gone away, so to me that indicates what Nissan have said, that there is a batch of faulty batteries out there. How many QQs have been sold? possibly well over a million, yet only a tiny tiny amount have had problems.
Each to their own though, if owners want to tinker about with their cars operating systems then fine, let them, as long as its not illegal. Ill be keeping mine in its original state. It works, no problem.
duncho

Post by duncho »

True about Stop/Start technology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k159M8QhCIE&t
Does Stop/Start damage the engine: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... r-s-engine
It's Time For Stop/Start Engines To Go: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hy ... es-already

DankoGranko

Post by DankoGranko »

So, let me just drop my opinion on this,

There is no denying about the extended pressure you put on your engine when start/stopping it 50 times per day. Jumping from one stage to the opposite in a fraction of a second will require appropriate condition from the engine, oil and many other players, and as far as I'm aware only high end engine (usually used in motorports) are designed to really support this additional stress.
Will I break if I carry cement bags as a daily job? Far from it - I'm a pretty strong individual and I train regularly so probably I'll do better than most. For a seasonal job it may be ok, but doing that for a long period of time will make sure that when I turn 50 I'll probably need a wheelchair as the long term damage on ligaments and bones is irreversible. And please, carrying cement bags is not the same as weight lifting so don't bring this into discussion.

In my case, the S/S systems is actually dangerous. There were quite few times when I had to pull fast at an intersection where you have small openings and high speeds, so a fast reaction can make a huge difference. That small fraction of a second of hesitation from my engine (or/and from myself due to S/S system) can make the difference between enjoying a beer with your friends and being in a hospital.

In the end the savings are minimal - if any. Reducing pollution I believe it is more of an educational issue rather than anything else. If you know that you're going to get stuck in traffic for hours, why using the car in the first place? Do you relay have no other alternatives? I have 2 cars, but I chose to ge to work by train. As you pull from traffic, why do you accelerate like a madman if you know you're going to stop again in 20 meters?
By simply educating ourselves we can bring the emissions levels down, and we should not rely on manufacturers to do it for us.

I was in Berlin recently to visit some friends, and one thing that I've noticed in traffic is that most cars have the s/s system kicking in. All nice and fine, but then 80% of the drivers were accelerating so hard when pulling out that pretty much pissed on all the potential savings they have achieved in the previous minute when their engine was shut off.

Start/Stop is not a solution to make our world a better place so let's stop looking at it in this way, it is just a solution for car manufacturers to comply to a timid attempt from the regulating forces to cope with the current pollution situation.

In the end, I do not fully condemn the S/S system, but the fact that we are forced to used it whether we like it or not. Yes, we have the option to deactivate it, but yet again the system relies on you to remind yourself to do that all the time ...
QQ J11 1.6 DIG-T Tekna - Magnifico Rosso
Michael

Post by Michael »

I use it if I'm going to be sitting for a while, but in most situations I just keep the clutch depressed with the car in first. No hesitation for pulling away, no extra stress on the engine, and balances the fuel / emissions argument. I would have thought a car oushes out more emissions when surging at start, although I'm no mechanic. I would not reverse or disable the feature, I've never switched it of, I just choose when I allow the car to engage it.
'16 1.5dci N-Connecta, Blade Silver, bonnet struts
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Michael wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 6:43 pm I use it if I'm going to be sitting for a while, but in most situations I just keep the clutch depressed with the car in first. No hesitation for pulling away, no extra stress on the engine, and balances the fuel / emissions argument. I would have thought a car oushes out more emissions when surging at start, although I'm no mechanic. I would not reverse or disable the feature, I've never switched it of, I just choose when I allow the car to engage it.
Someone talking sense at last!
duncho

Post by duncho »

gvmdaddy wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 8:15 pm
Michael wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 6:43 pm I use it if I'm going to be sitting for a while, but in most situations I just keep the clutch depressed with the car in first. No hesitation for pulling away, no extra stress on the engine, and balances the fuel / emissions argument. I would have thought a car oushes out more emissions when surging at start, although I'm no mechanic. I would not reverse or disable the feature, I've never switched it of, I just choose when I allow the car to engage it.
Someone talking sense at last!
:) well, ask some mechanic what he will say about keeping clutch pedal depressed while engine is running. You are asking for clutch bearing change pretty soon...

Anyway, us who intend to keep the car for few years longer than 2y leasing period, preference is not to prematurely worn the key car components (engine, starter, battery).
For those who blindly believe that S/S does not have any influence on engine, starter and battery life, please ignore my contributions on this topic which primary was addressed to QQ owners who are interested in this and have the same opinion and need to reverse S/S feature. Thank you for your understanding ;)

eveles
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by eveles »

many thanks Duncho it works!! one little thing... the white module cable in your instructions on the initial post is now blue, maybe you'd want to correct the post to fit the new colour coding!!!
duncho

Post by duncho »

Happy to hear Eveles that all went well with your install. It was just a temporary change in wire color, as I went out of stock of white one ;)

carminou
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by carminou »

Hello,
I'm an X-Trail (T32 2014-...) owner that seems near to the Qashqai. Do you think your module will work on the X-Trail T32 ?